PDA

View Full Version : Oakley lens selection

M&P45
07-10-10, 08:58
I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm trying to find an Oakley lens that will enhance the green fiber optic front sights I compete with. Which lens will really make the front sight pop? I mostly compete outdoors in very bright sunlight. Thanks.

Robb Jensen
07-10-10, 09:14
For me the VR28 lenses really make greens and some shades of orange really stand out.

M&P45
07-10-10, 14:36
Thanks. I'm heading to the Oakley store with a piece of green fiber optic rod to compare options. I'll let you know what I find.

Mak8080
07-11-10, 10:18
I really like my VR28 polarized. I've given the VR28 Black Iridium version, but felt it was too dark. I also like my bronze polarized tints as well.

Mat
07-11-10, 13:26
I wore the VR28 Black Polarized for a couple weeks. In my experience they make seeing even lightly shadowed objects while standing in the sun very difficult. I'd look for an Oakley shop near you (http://www.oakley.com/dealer) cause it would be worth checking if they have lenses on-hand that you can test to be sure what will work for you. Maybe even bring a small piece of green poster board to simulate your optic's color.

And I just realized you are already doing that...

piggly_wiggly
07-11-10, 17:53
I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative, but just want to ask here... do you currently have problems seeing your green f/o sight in broad daylight?

I've shot green, red and "negative" (no rod) for a good amount of time each, and the main reason the "dot" popped for me was the contrast to the black outline of the front sight blade. If I wanted anything to "pop" more, it would be the targets- I'd want higher contrast with the background environment to be able to find, id and address targets faster.

Once I start orienting towards a target my body index helps me find my front sight because I'm conditioned to look in the same area every time for my sights- call it a cone of visual focus if you will. I'm not sure that having more contrast on an already blazing green dot would help me hit targets faster or more accurately...

Thoughts?

M&P45
07-11-10, 19:01
I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative, but just want to ask here... do you currently have problems seeing your green f/o sight in broad daylight?

I've shot green, red and "negative" (no rod) for a good amount of time each, and the main reason the "dot" popped for me was the contrast to the black outline of the front sight blade. If I wanted anything to "pop" more, it would be the targets- I'd want higher contrast with the background environment to be able to find, id and address targets faster.

Once I start orienting towards a target my body index helps me find my front sight because I'm conditioned to look in the same area every time for my sights- call it a cone of visual focus if you will. I'm not sure that having more contrast on an already blazing green dot would help me hit targets faster or more accurately...

Thoughts?

You bring up some great points. My issue is that I seem to be not seeing the dot on the target the way I do with clear lenses. I figured that reason is that my Black Iridium Polarized lenses seem to really dim down the f/o dot. That may have something to do with the 10% light transmission. Maybe what I need is a lens with more light transmission and better contrast. When I was at the Oakley store I noticed the G28 and G40 offered more light transmission and better contrast.

I think I'm going to try the G28 for bright sunlight. I originally went with the Polarized Black Iridium to reduce eye fatigue while driving. I'm in sales and on the road all day and the lenses work great for that application.

I have had great success with standard persimmon lenses in overcast conditions. I will be keeping those.

tnedator
07-11-10, 21:18
Are these shooting (ansi whatever) specific lenses or just regular lenses?

Armati
07-13-10, 12:03
I like the bronze color VR28 lens for most light conditions. Several manufactures make a lens in a similar shade (some call them 'persimmon'). Oakleys are good but my personal favorite is the ESS CDI.