PDA

View Full Version : Why QD for BUIS?

MookNW
07-10-10, 11:54
I'm replacing a matech flipup rear sight and have been looking at a fixed. It's come down to the LaRue , or DD fixed buis. What would be the reasoning behind a fixed buis with a QD lever? Mounting magnified optics?

opmike
07-10-10, 15:25
I, too, have been curious about the purpose of having a QD BUIS. I can't think of any reason you'd want to be able to "quickly" remove one. And if the rifle is scoped, I'd go with some folding Troy's if I need to get the BUIS out of the way.

I'm sure some users more experienced than I will weigh in on the rationale behind them.

markm
07-10-10, 15:28
I see no value in it. Even on a fixed rear housing like the DD A1. There's nothing else that needs to sit back where the rear sight is.

jmart
07-11-10, 21:39
This probably has as much to do with just using the same mounting system that the manufacturer uses across the product line (e.g., Larue).

And whether it's quick detach or slow detach, you could argue that the clamping systems employed by QD mounts are superior to cross slot screws or other conventional methods used to mount BUIS's. The fact that the system employed features QD capability is just a bonus.

thopkins22
07-12-10, 01:27
In one of Paul Howe's recent newsletters he explained that he likes to carry a zeroed Larue rear sight for his SPR type rifle because it allows the flexibility of dumping the scope and setting it up as an entry rifle with only flicking three levers.

I don't personally feel that it's the way I'd chose to roll(I think I'd just run a Troy/KAC rear,) but the point is that there are people who have more experience than most who do see value in it.

Presumably it allows him to run the aperture he prefers in a housing that's more sturdy than a folding sight while not interfering at all with his magnified optic.

MookNW
07-12-10, 01:39
Some valid points. I'm sure it serves a function for someone. For the purpose I intend, a non-Q.D. rear sight will do just fine for a general purpose carbine.
I just flipped through the product sheet that mailed with my red-dot mount. With the exception of the low-pro gas block,and the FF rails, all La Rue products come with a QD lever. Guess it would only make sense to do the buis with one.:cool:

PrivateCitizen
07-12-10, 08:14
Maybe not quick detach …

But maybe quick attach for an long scoped SPR, etc?

Gunzilla
07-12-10, 13:58
I'm replacing a matech flipup rear sight and have been looking at a fixed. It's come down to the LaRue , or DD fixed buis. What would be the reasoning behind a fixed buis with a QD lever? Mounting magnified optics?

I kept my Matech mounted when I added the Burris XTR with the AD QD mount, although I did file very slightly on the edge of the Matech to ensure clearence of the dimple on the adjustment ring of the scope.

It works great!

TehLlama
07-13-10, 22:50
For a small number of folks, it's a fantastic solution, but for my uses, I'm much better served by DD Fixed and TROY Folding. LT makes great stuff, but why they sell that and not a front QD version is beyond me.