PDA

View Full Version : Two lights or one ?

STAGMike
07-10-10, 13:56
I am currently running an X300 and it is great but the run time bothers me. I am thinking of running two lights.. one lower output for navigation etc and another for a "blind the bad guy" type light. Another option I'm looking at is to find a light with dual function a low output for nav and a high for the "blind the bad guy" effect. Any one have any input or recommend a dual function light.

This set up will be for my patrol rifle (hopefully soon).

wes007
07-10-10, 14:04
I wouldnt add another light if you didnt have to. There are already lights out that can do exactly what you are asking and then some. There is also a weight issue to consider when adding another piece of equipment to your carbine.

STAGMike
07-10-10, 14:10
Any recommendations for a light?

jsebens
07-10-10, 15:37
I ran a Surefire LX2 on the carbine for about 2 weeks (replaced it with a MiniScout I didn't know was coming). I liked it a lot. Sounds like it does what you want.

jwperry
07-19-10, 00:55
I ran a Surefire LX2 on the carbine for about 2 weeks (replaced it with a MiniScout I didn't know was coming). I liked it a lot. Sounds like it does what you want.

What kind of mount did you use? I've been doing a lot of reading and I think that the LX2 fits the bill of what I want in a weapon light, but I can't seem to find anything about mounts for it.

jsebens
07-19-10, 05:33
LaRue has their .9XX rings that will fit any of their mounts.

BrianS
07-19-10, 06:38
What is wrong with the x300 runtime? It is 2.4 hours at 170 lumens, many other surefire lights have lower output and shorter "tactical level" run time.

The LED Defender has the dual mode you are talking about and is a little brighter than the x300 but has shorter runtime.

I carry a E2D LED Defender as my handheld light.

jsebens
07-19-10, 06:44
What is wrong with the x300 runtime? It is 2.4 hours at 170 lumens, many other surefire lights have lower output and shorter "tactical level" run time.

I didn't abandon the X300 due to runtime or weight; I moved on because you can't change the batteries without removing it from the rail, and I wanted to try a light with more throw. The dual-output on most Surefire lights isn't a good fit for tactical use; having to click through low settings to get back to high is a bad thing. The LX2 is different from these, in that any hard/adrenaline-driven press gets you high light output.

Like I said, I'm now using a miniScout anyway.

BrianS
07-19-10, 06:50
Yeah if I was using my light mostly to search I wouldn't want the dual mode either. For that matter I don't think the dual mode lights are bright enough to help navigate "busy" areas, particularly if you have used the bright mode recently and your night vision is shot.

My question regarding the runtime was directed at the OP since he raised that as the issue. Most lights have a shorter run time than the x300, so if that is the reason, maybe he doesn't need to replace anything, particularly if he already owns it.

Mo_Zam_Beek
07-21-10, 17:41
While at Thunder Ranch, Clint told us all a story of a friend that always used two lights. While holding another at gun point, his primary died right then and there.

As a result I mounted a second light on my house gun.

1 is none, 2 is one and all that...

Good luck

heem_infinite
07-23-10, 10:54
http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_TK12_R5_Black.html#catalog/img/6-4000-8121100.jpg