PDA

View Full Version : Weird Phone Spamming Calls

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-10-10, 20:55
My wife's aunt has been getting these weird calls. She has gotten 75 plus calls in the past day from all kinds of places-- from trade schools to Jenny Criag saying that they are calling in response to an inquiry that was made. She has made no inquiries, but the odder thing is that they are asking for A. Smith (a man), when her name is actually B. Smith- same actual last name. Both of their phone numbers are listed by initial and "Smith" in the phone book. My aunt called the B Smith and he is not been in search of continuing education or losing weight.

There are enough calls that it has to be meant as a harrasment. My aunt lives in a managed community and has had some rather rocky interactions with one neighboor who complains about noise when she watches my kids from time to time. This is her only known person who may have a gripe.

My first thought was somekind of identy theft, by why use one name and another number- and not purchase anything?

Anyone heard of anything like this? I'm almost envisioning a website where you can enter someones name and phone number to get them deluged with calls. The name thing is weird, why not just use her real name?

If it is her neighbor, it is a pretty passive-aggressive tactic, really kind of sick. Due to the number of calls, my advise was for her to contact the local PD (not 911) and see if they could get a record pulled at one of these places to see what's what. At least get something on the record so that if this is just the first step in this guys plan, we can start to lay down some facts.

A baseball bat or a fist I can deal with, demented retired gessers with time on their hands and ill health scare me when they are around my kinds when I'm not around.

Gutshot John
07-10-10, 23:29
Is she on the "do not call" registry?

Preferred User
07-10-10, 23:43
Even if she is on the Do Not Call list, if "she" made an inquiry the company now has a relationship and can call. Of course if she requests they remove her number from the call list they have to do so.

There are protocol that have to be followed if you want to get serious about making this a LE matter. If it continues and you want more info PM me. Hopefully if she does not show any reaction to the cranky neighbor he will stop.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-11-10, 01:01
Even if she is on the Do Not Call list, if "she" made an inquiry the company now has a relationship and can call. Of course if she requests they remove her number from the call list they have to do so.

There are protocol that have to be followed if you want to get serious about making this a LE matter. If it continues and you want more info PM me. Hopefully if she does not show any reaction to the cranky neighbor he will stop.

The guy has made harassing complaints to the places management about bushes and rocks, if this is just the next step in an escalation of unfriendly behavior, I want to make sure that some official note is made of it. I really wanted to make sure this wasn't some kind of weird scam of some sort.

bkb0000
07-11-10, 01:11
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

Preferred User
07-11-10, 01:14
You can always call the desk sergeant or her neighborhood officer and file a written complaint so it is on record if it ever advances in severity. Document, document, document.

I am guessing that someone just visited a lot of web sites and requested more info and put her name in the contact field. Fines are too high for most companies to get caught making too many unsolicited calls. I have not seen any sites where you can input a phone number and request info from multiple vendors at one time.