PDA

View Full Version : New EOTEC 512 owner

jwistuber
07-10-10, 20:56
I just picked this sight up at the local gunshow today for $320.00 out the door. I have 2 questions I need help with. 1) Was this a good price? 2) I have it mounted however I have a standard A2 frontsight that is in the middle of the retical and the dot. What can I do to remedy this. My first thought is to replace the front sight with a fold down type. Is this something that can be done and is it better to have a good gunsmith di this?
Thanks

MTechnik
07-10-10, 21:04
If it is new, that's a great price.

About the front sight post - you have something called "absolute cowitness" - there are a few ways to deal with it:

Enjoy it. The holographic dot doesn't need to sit on top of the front sight post, only when you have the front and rear sights lined up. If you move your head so that the dot is in another place, that's still where the bullet is going to hit.
Get a riser for the eotech moving the sights to the lower 1/3 of the window
Replace your front sight/gas block with one with a fold down front sight (this is if you don't have rails)
get a dremel and cut the front sight away, and get a flip front for your front rails (if your gun has front rails on it)

Avenger29
07-10-10, 21:17
I highly recommend the LaRue riser for the Eotechs. Back when I had an EoTech, I procured one immediately after my first range trip w/ the EoTech because I was annoyed by absolute cowitness...Only problem noted is that the battery cover lever on the Eotech obsures a good portion of the BUIS when using them, but not totally, so they are still usable...

Also, get thyself lithium batteries immediately. I'd call it a decent price, so long as you didn't get taken for a fake (the fake can be immediately recognized by a sharp/clear reticle vs. the pixelated one. No, I'm not kidding, the "real" reticle looks crappier than the knockoff...due to the laser projection vs the LED projection of the knockoffs)

MTechnik
07-10-10, 21:30
(the fake can be immediately recognized by a sharp/clear reticle vs. the pixelated one. No, I'm not kidding, the "real" reticle looks crappier than the knockoff...due to the laser projection vs the LED projection of the knockoffs)

It's called laser speckle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle_pattern) - and it is how you can tell there's a hologram illuminated by a laser. An LED-illuminated etched glass reticule looks quite different - smooth even.

SuicideHz
07-10-10, 21:38
Yep. Looked at a clone at the fun show today. Perfectly crisp little reproduction of the original...

jwistuber
07-10-10, 22:24
Thanks for the replys the riser sounds like a better and cheaper idea than replacing the front sight and gas block. It is a genuine EOtec and it is brand new.

opmike
07-10-10, 22:29
1. Keep your front sight.
2. But some lithium batteries.
3. Buy a LaRue EOTech Riser http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=33
4. Learn to appreciate and enjoy your new lower 1/3rd cowitness.

With some practice, having the front sight visible will be a non-issue. And, the advantages of having a fixed, always deployed front sight outweigh the advantages of getting a slightly less obstructed view with a folding unit.

jwistuber
07-10-10, 22:30
I just checked both Larue and Daniel Defense and did not find any risers. Any web sites you can give me to find one.
Thanks

jwistuber
07-10-10, 22:34
Nevermind I just found it.

Hmac
07-11-10, 07:20
Nevermind I just found it.

Where?

opmike
07-11-10, 13:10
I posted a link to the LaRue model in my post.

Belmont31R
07-11-10, 15:31
I think you will find if you shoot the gun some, and forget about the FSP being there you don't need a riser.

Seems like quite a few people with co-witness optics feel the same but after shooting with the optic they forget about the front sight even being there. Being a new setup you are more likely to notice everything, and not what you "need" to notice to shoot.

Id suggest going to the range, and shooting some drills both eyes open. Most people will be be over the FSP issue after a couple good range trips.

It has to do with how your eyes focus as they can only focus on one distance. If you focus on the target as you should the FSP should just be a blur, and your mind will forget about it. The more you get used to it the more your mind will forget about it.

If your irons are zeroed you can "rough zero" your new optic by aligning the dot with your irons. Being co-witness it works to get your optic zero'd a bit more closely before heading to the range. You should be within a few inches...