PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Area Gunshops?

Mr. Goodtimes
07-11-10, 13:11
Anybody know of a reputable gun dealer in the Tampa area? I'm willing to travel a ways if theyre a good company. I'm comming home on leave for four days in early August and want to buy an HK P30.

Cheers

HES
07-11-10, 13:59
Your best bet is to see what the fire arm you want is going for at places like Bud's gun shop or Gunbroker or Guns America. Then you can visit various shops and see if they will meet or beat the price (I always include the FFL transfer fee and shipping). If they will then buy from them. I have found the guys at Florida Survivalist in Dunedin to be good about this. You can also check out Wain Roberts Firearms in Pinellas Park. I'll let others speak up about other shops but the more I think about it, SS is the 800lb gorilla in Tampa. The rest of the shops that I know about are in Pinellas County. If all else fails and no one will bargain then buy on line and have it shipped to an FFL. I know Land O Lakes gun and pawn will do the transfer for $20.

RogerinTPA
07-11-10, 15:52
I agree with HES. Your best bet is to buy online, have the weapon shipped, hopefully for free from the online vendor, and call around and see what the shops are charging for a firearms transfer fee. Some charge as high as $100.00, but can be found for as little as $35.00.

Stay the hell away from Shoot Straight.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-11-10, 16:25
I agree with HES. Your best bet is to buy online, have the weapon shipped, hopefully for free from the online vendor, and call around and see what the shops are charging for a firearms transfer fee. Some charge as high as $100.00, but can be found for as little as $35.00.

Stay the hell away from Shoot Straight.

is there anybody in the area that you would recommend for a transfer?

DJK
07-11-10, 16:33
If you want to travel to Sarasota, I have a dealer who only charges $20 for transfers and he is already set up with Bud's.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-11-10, 16:49
If you want to travel to Sarasota, I have a dealer who only charges $20 for transfers and he is already set up with Bud's.

PM inbound. I got some questions on how the process of purchasing a firearm online works.

tampam4
07-11-10, 17:35
apparently a new one opened up a few weeks back on the other side of Jefferson bank on the intersection of Forest Lakes and Tampa road. I went in there, he had a bunch of handguns, don't remember any Hk's though. Everything seemed ok until he pulled out his CCW and it was a FN 5.7. The way he talked about it made it sound like it was a howitzer in a handgun:p:rolleyes:

RogerinTPA
07-11-10, 19:01
is there anybody in the area that you would recommend for a transfer?

I know a shop in Clearwater that that does them for $35.00, but that would be dependent on your location. Do a Google search of gunshops in your area, and start calling to see what they charge. If near Sarasota, go with DJK's advise, it's the lowest I've heard in the Tampa Bay's area.

djegators
07-11-10, 20:53
Here is the thing about Shoot Straight. They list retail prices, and I'm sure that they get plenty of walk-in customers who pay sticker. But the reality is, they are a huge operation, and have a lot of buying power. They are more interested in volume, then selling one gun for a huge profit. If you are there, and see what you want, try to bargain with them some...can't hurt to ask right? I have been successful with this at the gun show anyways, they were willing to beat the best price I could fund by $10.

Having said that, I don't think even they can beat Bud's current sales prices on P30s. I know, because I have a P30L en route as we speak, and trust me, I shopped around.

For transfers, give Vic an email, he is a good guy, with a very small shop, and he does transfers for $25. Tell him I sent ya if you like. Here is his website: http://www.floridaammotraders.com/ He is already on file with most online retailers, including Bud's, and if not he will send it off ASAP.

Just out of curiosity, I have a question. Since you say you are on leave, where is your actual residence? Are you eligible to purchase a handgun in FL? What are you planning on doing with the weapon when your leave ends?

Mr. Goodtimes
07-12-10, 05:44
Here is the thing about Shoot Straight. They list retail prices, and I'm sure that they get plenty of walk-in customers who pay sticker. But the reality is, they are a huge operation, and have a lot of buying power. They are more interested in volume, then selling one gun for a huge profit. If you are there, and see what you want, try to bargain with them some...can't hurt to ask right? I have been successful with this at the gun show anyways, they were willing to beat the best price I could fund by $10.

Having said that, I don't think even they can beat Bud's current sales prices on P30s. I know, because I have a P30L en route as we speak, and trust me, I shopped around.

For transfers, give Vic an email, he is a good guy, with a very small shop, and he does transfers for $25. Tell him I sent ya if you like. Here is his website: http://www.floridaammotraders.com/ He is already on file with most online retailers, including Bud's, and if not he will send it off ASAP.

Just out of curiosity, I have a question. Since you say you are on leave, where is your actual residence? Are you eligible to purchase a handgun in FL? What are you planning on doing with the weapon when your leave ends?

Thanks djegators for the info. Ill shoot him an email.

The transaction it self will be handled by my father. I'm a resident of Florida, which is where the gun will stay. Current duty station is in Great Lakes, and Ill be moving to Sandiego shortly. The gun will stay in Florida till I'm stationed in a more gun friendly state/command.

djegators
07-12-10, 07:44
This is what I got: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_47_914/products_id/411539620, and Vic was listed under the FFL selection part of checkout. His company also goes by T15 industries.

Good luck!

Velcro
07-12-10, 08:33
Here is basically what you have in Tampa...(I have lived there for over 30 yrs)

Shoot Straight Tampa

University Gun & Pawn

Shooting Sports of Tampa

Central Police Firearms & Safety (I think that's right)

...anyway, those are your biggest and most popular with the widest selection.

"IMO"

Largest Selection - Shoot Straight

Most product - Shoot Straight

Largest Facility - Shoot Straight

w/ Range - Shoot Straight
Shooting Sports Tampa

Most Toxic - Shooting Sports Tampa

Best Prices - University Gun

Really, I have worked at about all of these places and dealing with this industry for over 15 years...really The best overall place is Shoot Straight, but there prices are not the cheapest.

They will work with you and they have a incredible selection, but Charlie at University will work the best with you on price, there selecton is pretty good.

Both do Class III, Charlie has more exotic, but for just best price if its in inventory I would pick University...and even if you have to order it, there is really no difference.

Velcro

Mr. Goodtimes
07-12-10, 18:17
Ill check with university gun and see if they have what I want. If not, i think im going to go with Florida Ammo Traders. Thanks a lot for all the help, this saved me a lot of trouble.

djegators
07-12-10, 23:58
When I was at University a few days ago, they did have P30s..one in 9, one in 40. Sticker was $950 I think, and the guy I know offered me $900...didn't try to haggle further. If you go in, and you talk to the owner (Charlie), or the bald guy (can't remember his name at the moment), feel free to tell them that the "longhorn" guy sent you.

GPalmer
07-13-10, 00:22
Here is basically what you have in Tampa...(I have lived there for over 30 yrs)
That's about the size of it, though I've had good luck dealing with Florida Survivalist in the past.

tampam4
07-13-10, 04:35
For the past few days I've been talking to a retired SEAL about one gun shop owner in the area being a phony SEAL. I need to get more info from this particular phony SEAL before putting the name out there, but there is no record of this man ever being involved with the SEAL's. If we have total confirmation, his name is going all over here:mad:

Velcro
07-13-10, 06:58
TampaM4....real curious to here who that guy is...and I know I can get it verified...

djegators, did you wind up getting anything or will they remember the "longhorn guy" as a bad thing!!! LOL!!!

@ University, you have Charlie and "Bob"...both good guy's although University in not perfect. I can tell you that this is a sellers market on guns. You know SS "knows" that there prices are astronomical, but you know...they get it, how, I don't know, but they do...but like anywhere, they do work with customers that they know.

I know that the main owner of all of the Shoot Straights has his prices high, but at the show, will drop them down to where it looks like you are getting a hell of a deal...AGAIN, all these dealers have BIG TICKETS on gun's cause they can right now...

HELL...Ammo was worse!

Hope you found what you wanted and my "opinion" helped.

Velcro

HES
07-13-10, 08:02
...You know SS "knows" that there prices are astronomical, but you know...they get it, how, I don't know, but they do...but like anywhere, they do work with customers that they know.

I know that the main owner of all of the Shoot Straights has his prices high, but at the show, will drop them down to where it looks like you are getting a hell of a deal...AGAIN, all these dealers have BIG TICKETS on gun's cause they can right now...

HELL...Ammo was worse!
Kamal gets the sales he does with the prices he charges based on marketing and consumer ignorance. He has a clean store with decent looking employees that wear a uniform of sorts that makes him look like the Macy's of gun shops. Then he advertises on the local TV stations and folks see his huge selection and people go "ohhh". It's all about the marketing

djegators
07-13-10, 08:02
TampaM4....real curious to here who that guy is...and I know I can get it verified...

djegators, did you wind up getting anything or will they remember the "longhorn guy" as a bad thing!!! LOL!!! :D ..they eat in my restaurant, so good thing.

@ University, you have Charlie and "Bob"...both good guy's although University in not perfect. I can tell you that this is a sellers market on guns. You know SS "knows" that there prices are astronomical, but you know...they get it, how, I don't know, but they do...but like anywhere, they do work with customers that they know.

Yep, they will give you deals at the shows, and then can beat pretty much deal you find. But then again, they have like 1/4th of the tables.
HELL...Ammo was worse!

Hope you found what you wanted and my "opinion" helped.

Velcro

Generally speaking, not necessarily in particular to any of the mentioned dealers, a lot of people complain about prices, but I have found they never even asked for a better price, had to cash in pocket to buy, or did enough research to know what a fair price is.

tampam4
07-13-10, 08:30

Velcro

PM sent. Keeping it on the DL until confirmed/denied. back on track!:)

BAC
10-17-10, 14:56
Land O' Lakes Gun & Pawn is the best I've found for transfer fees ($25). Hop skip and jump away from the DMV.

-B

m249saw
10-17-10, 18:02
Yup Wally at Land O Lakes does all my transfers.