PDA

View Full Version : Next barrel length

mechelaar
07-11-10, 18:21
I currently have a 10.5" carbine, a 14.5" carbine, a 16" middy, and a half built 18" intermediate upper. I was thinking about taking advantage of BCM's summer sale, but I am not sure what would be the best upper to pick up. I'm considering the 14.5" middy, the 12.5" carbine, and the 12.5" Kino.

I only shoot pinned FSBs, so I am a little suspicious of the Kino. It also seems a little gimmicky to me. I like the velocity and sight radius of the 14.5, but I like the shorter length of the 12.5. I'm really not sure what upper to buy. The Kino seems to have the best of both worlds, but it is a little outside my comfort zone.

I'm looking for an all around shooter that is short enough to handle easily. Nowadays I mostly shoot my 10.5" carbine on my off time and a 14.5" carbine at work. Manipulating the longer uppers has started to seem like trying to manhandle a telephone pole.

What do you guys think would be the way to go? NFA v. non-NFA is not really an issue for me.

matt86
07-11-10, 18:27
The 14.5 mids I hear shoot smooth as silk and Im picking up one for my next build.

PlatoCATM
07-11-10, 20:15
Does the kino seem gimmicky because you think the FSB is not pinned or because you don't see a need for the longer rail?

The gas block and the FSB are both pinned on the kino. It isn't gimmicky, it allows the user a more extended grip for driving the gun and more room for accessories.

I ended up buying the standard 12.5 because the price is right and they were out of the 11.5. I already have a carbine length handguard as well which saves me quite a bit of money. It should be on my porch when I get home tomorrow. :D

mechelaar
07-11-10, 21:04
Does the kino seem gimmicky because you think the FSB is not pinned or because you don't see a need for the longer rail?

Well, I don't personally have the need for a longer rail, but I could see how someone else would. I don't mount much gear on my rifles and my arms are pretty short.

I'm not knocking the Kino. I think it just reminds me of a dissipator upper, which I always thought of as kinda goofy. I really like the looks of it (and I can see the practicality), but I try to keep my rifles as simple and idiot proof as possible. Call me old fashioned, but I'm still a little suspicious of lo pro gas blocks on a fighting rifle. I think I need someone to convince me to get with the times. :D

seb5
07-11-10, 21:35
My biased opinion is for a 14.5 middie. This is my favorite combination. Out to 300 it doesn't really give up anything. I have a similar set of AR's to yours. A 10.5 SBR, 16" middie Recce, and 2 14.5 middies. I'll end up selling one of the barrels to a friend when I get my 16" lightweight middie chopped to 14.5 and installed as a lighter wieght version of what I've currently got. My SBR is more of a toy, the Noveske Recce is set up as a precision rig with a NF 2.5-10, bipod and 3lb. trigger. The 14.5's get more of my time and they are the ones I would grab if needed. They regularly shoot 1-1.5 MOA groups with good ammo.