PDA

View Full Version : How do i get a SBR

devildogljb
07-11-10, 20:46
Please move if this in the wrong area.

Im interested in getting a SBR but i have no idea where to start. I know i need to pay a tax(how much im not sure) what paper work i will need to fill out and what if any type of info will i need to provide other then any thing different then what is normally needed to buy a rifle or hand gun, any information will be greatly appericated. Thanks again Semper Fi

tampam4
07-11-10, 20:49
Please move if this in the wrong area.

Im interested in getting a SBR but i have no idea where to start. I know i need to pay a tax(how much im not sure) what paper work i will need to fill out and what if any type of info will i need to provide other then any thing different then what is normally needed to buy a rifle or hand gun, any information will be greatly appericated. Thanks again Semper Fi

everything on SBR's and NFA items will be under the NFA subforum here on M4C. here is a thread titled "how to SBR your lower by scottryan" https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830 read it and look through the NFA subforum, and you will find everything that you need:)

SteveL
07-11-10, 20:49
You need to do some reading in the NFA section (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9) of the forum.

devildogljb
07-11-10, 22:46
ok so now if im reading this right the lower i have now which is a m&p 15 lower i can get this as a sbr lower with the paper work i would have to send to the atf? and would i be able to run a standard m4 upper on a sbr lower ? Im new to getting into the next step of fire arm ownership (sbr's, full autos which one day i do plan on owning) Please note i am serious on doing this im not just dreaming about it.

tampam4
07-12-10, 03:22
ok so now if im reading this right the lower i have now which is a m&p 15 lower i can get this as a sbr lower with the paper work i would have to send to the atf? and would i be able to run a standard m4 upper on a sbr lower ? Im new to getting into the next step of fire arm ownership (sbr's, full autos which one day i do plan on owning) Please note i am serious on doing this im not just dreaming about it.

yes, that is correct. you do not have to run SBR uppers only on a SBR lower. Just make sure that you do not have a SBR upper sitting around and a non-SBR'd lower, as that's "intend to construct" or something similar. If you follow the thread I linked earlier, and do reading in the NFA section, you should not run into any problems going through the process.

ODS9091
07-12-10, 13:31
I know i need to pay a tax(how much im not sure) . Thanks again Semper Fi

Whether you purchase an existing SBR (Form 4) or make one from your current AR you own (Form 1) the tax is $200.

Iraqgunz
07-12-10, 16:42
Let's not start talking about non-existent "intent to construct" stuff again. Thanks

yes, that is correct. you do not have to run SBR uppers only on a SBR lower. Just make sure that you do not have a SBR upper sitting around and a non-SBR'd lower, as that's "intend to construct" or something similar. If you follow the thread I linked earlier, and do reading in the NFA section, you should not run into any problems going through the process.

usmcvet
07-13-10, 22:23
The guys here have said it well. Spend some serious time reading here in the NFA forums. Follow the suggested links above and you will find it is actually pretty easy to buy an SBR. Careful, once the bug bites you it can get expensive;).

TehLlama
07-13-10, 22:25
Seconded, the process isn't that hard, the biggest deterrent is that you'll want to become a stamp collector.

usmcvet
07-13-10, 22:40
I love it I'm a stamp collector!

I bought an LMT 10 SBR from Grant when you look at what is there you get alot for your money.

Here are two great buys from Grant at G&R:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SBR-10

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM-NFA

This way saves the time and expense of engraving.