PDA

View Full Version : New RRA Middy Build - UPDATED RANGE AND SCOPE REPORT

citadelshooter
06-09-07, 14:39
This is my new Rock River Middy. Thanks to Grant for the Troy rail, it locked up solid (PMag is nice too!). Still have to get another rear BUIS and will eventually switch out the optic (next bonus!!). Here's the breakdown:

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL775/4424444/9356499/258504715.jpg

RRA Mid-Length Upper w/chrome lined barrel (HB)
RRA Lower with single stage trigger group
CAA Saddle on 6 pos. stock
Troy 9in MRF Rail
Yankee Hill Front BUIS
XT Panels
M&A Scope Mount (heavy, but solid)
Bushnell 1.75-4x Circle X
Viking Sling with MI sling attachment
Surefire G2 w/ring mount
30rd Pmag

BUIS for now is a ARMS #40 not in pic.

Enjoy!

UPDATE!! Range and Scope Report

Went to the range with the beast. One word, ENJOYMENT!! After shooting a carbine length upper for several years, the mid-length has it beat. I was shooting 1/4 inch groups at 25 on a 4 inch target. Downsized a 300yd target to 25yard and was shooting 1/2 to 1 inch groups.

Update on the scope. The scope I am currently using is the Bushnell Trophy 1.75x4x32 Circle X reticle. See pics below. Sorry about the size. Only decent ones I could find. The scope pic is a gloss black. Mine is matte and then painted with Krylon. The adjustments are 1/4 inch at 100yds.

http://www.bushnell.com/images/products/73-1500.jpg

http://hires.basspro.com/is/servlet/izoom/BassPro/13116%21?

I figured out this reticle. The scope is meant to be a brush gun scope for a 30/30 or other type brush gun. The Circle X portion of the reticle is designed to cover the vital portion of a deer. According to Bushnell R&D, the circle is 17.25 MOA. Did some math and this is what I came up with, correct me if I am wrong. So at 100 yards it covers 17.25 inches of the target. For example, this is essentially shoulder to waist of an average height human male. At 200 yards, this coverage doubles to 34.5 inches, which is shoulder to knee and at 300 yds to covers 51.75 inches which is approximately top of head to knee. The 300 yd measurement is if I am right the essentially the coverage as the 65MOA circle of an Eotech at 100yds. This essentially gives me "ranging" method for target aquisition for matches/whatever. It's not a mil dot, however, to me it is actually a little more simple. If you haven't looked at this scope. Go down to the local gun shop and check it out. For $100 it is a damn good scope.

Low Drag
06-09-07, 16:45
Does that upper have the full length heavy barrel?

I have one similar to that but with a front sight post. If it's the heavy profile barrel you're going to like the way it shoots.

citadelshooter
06-09-07, 20:42
Yes, it is .950 undneath the rail, .749 under the block, and .740 from the block to the muzzle. Standard RRA HB. I shot it prior to the rail being put on. One word.....

SWEET!!!

Low Drag
06-09-07, 21:24
It does have a different recoil feel to it. I've got a Magpul M93b on mine and a trijicon tripower on it.

I really do like the recoil of the mid-length with heavy barrel, I think I can get faster & tighter doubles with it.

mtdawg169
06-23-07, 19:57
Looks familiar!;) Good to meet you today. Take care,

Matt

citadelshooter
06-23-07, 20:13
Looks familiar!;) Good to meet you today. Take care,

Matt

Good to meet you too! Really liked your Sabre middy. Got me thinking about my next build....hmmmm. Take care.

Chad