PDA

View Full Version : XM177/XM177E1

bsn
07-12-10, 11:57
What would an XM177 barrel would be worth?

It is a 10" with the MP between the gas block legs...

It's currently on a large hole SP-1 type slick-side upper, maybe an airforce upper which has been reamed?

The upper is later than the barrel though, because it has forge marks in the web under the rear site...

bsn
07-14-10, 15:33
Maybe I asked the question the wrong way?

Anyone have any idea how many 10" XM177 barrels have made it out to "freedom"?

LonghunterCO
07-15-10, 16:41
If I remember correctly, orgional XM177 barrels have a couple of baffles in the break/flash hider and although they are really not silencing anything the BATFE considereds it a silencer.
If I have this correct I would beware of being in possition of this without proper approval.

JOHNO
07-16-10, 18:09
If I remember correctly, orgional XM177 barrels have a couple of baffles in the break/flash hider and although they are really not silencing anything the BATFE considereds it a silencer.
If I have this correct I would beware of being in possition of this without proper approval.

The flash hider is removable and, most likely, long gone. He's talking about the bbl.

bsn
07-19-10, 09:41
The flash hider is removable and, most likely, long gone. He's talking about the bbl.

Yes, I got it with an A1 birdcage attached.

According to "The Black Rifle" the contract was for @ 2800 CAR-15s, @1100 being delivered in Nov '66 ~ with the contract being completed by March 67.

Were the ballance of the 2800 delivered as E1s or E2s?

TOrrock
07-19-10, 10:00
Pretty certain the E2 was the later, separate order, as the barrel length was increased from 10.5" to 11.5".

scottryan
07-19-10, 20:34
Somewhere between $500 and $1000 depending on condition.

bsn
07-20-10, 09:32
Somewhere between $500 and $1000 depending on condition.

More or less what I was figuring on, any guesses of how many survived to "freedom"?

I'm figuring somewhere on the order of 80% "used up" in service, 10% lost in the system, 10% escaped?

K.L. Davis
07-20-10, 10:49
Pretty certain the E2 was the later, separate order, as the barrel length was increased from 10.5" to 11.5".

As I recall, the E1 had a 10" barrel... I know for sure the E2 had an 11.5" barrel and the second generation moderator with the GL cut.

(actually, I think the E2 barrel was a little short of 11.5, but that was what the nomenclature said)

scottryan
07-20-10, 12:36
More or less what I was figuring on, any guesses of how many survived to "freedom"?

I'm figuring somewhere on the order of 80% "used up" in service, 10% lost in the system, 10% escaped?

That seems correct for the military guns.

It is hard to say because this barrel was also used on some commercial guns but not many.

I really don't know for sure on a number. I'd say less than 100.

scottryan
07-20-10, 12:38
As I recall, the E1 had a 10" barrel... I know for sure the E2 had an 11.5" barrel and the second generation moderator with the GL cut.

(actually, I think the E2 barrel was a little short of 11.5, but that was what the nomenclature said)

The E1 uses a 10" barrel

The E2 uses a 11.5" barrel. This barrel is the same length as the current line of 11.5" Colts.

Both use the same moderator.

The E2 uses the grenade launcher ring.

bsn
07-21-10, 15:43
The E1 uses a 10" barrel

The E2 uses a 11.5" barrel. This barrel is the same length as the current line of 11.5" Colts.

Both use the same moderator.

The E2 uses the grenade launcher ring.

My buddy is looking for "5 hole" carbine handguards, but from what I can find they should be 6 hole?

LonghunterCO
07-21-10, 16:25
My buddy is looking for "5 hole" carbine handguards, but from what I can find they should be 6 hole?

6 hole. The newer mauf. ones are 7 hole. I have never heard of a 5 hole.

WWhunter
10-19-10, 20:25
I was stationed at Hurlburt Fld (AF Special Operations) in the late 70's. We had several different lengths and it is really hard to say what was the most common. I know of one that is 14"-15" (I didn't measure it) that I know for a fact was an issue barrel for the XM177 series (GAU-5). This known barrel also originally had the grenade launcher ring and moderator on it.
As for value...I am curious also.

scottryan
10-19-10, 22:42
I was stationed at Hurlburt Fld (AF Special Operations) in the late 70's. We had several different lengths and it is really hard to say what was the most common. I know of one that is 14"-15" (I didn't measure it) that I know for a fact was an issue barrel for the XM177 series (GAU-5). This known barrel also originally had the grenade launcher ring and moderator on it.

That gun had its barrel replaced sometime along the way.

WWhunter
10-20-10, 08:16
I agree the barrel had possibly been changed. It may have come back fro Vietnam and been rebuilt. Or it could have just been another of our "specialty made" guns. The barrel has " C MP CHROME BORE" and has the 6 hole "CAR Style" handgaurds. The front sight has a "C" on it and also has the bayonet lug.
For some reason I seem to think most of ours had this length barrel. Granted we had shorter ones too.
AS a side note,
I do remember one day being given a Vietnam captured Russian SVD Sniper rifle thaty was said to be the first one captured and brought in to the US. I took it to the range and was amazed at how accurate it was for such an ungainly looking rifle.

Coleslaw
10-20-10, 08:39

That must have been an odd duck, a 14.5" barrel with the moderator on it. That would bring the total length to around 18.5" - 19" or so. The 14.5" barrel originally supplied on the model 653 wouldn't need the moderator for function. Some kook armourer must have thrown that together.

Also note the 14.5" barrel replaced the 11.5" version as it wasn't as tempermental relative to functioning and had better efficacy with the M193 round, thus at the time making the 11.5" barrel obsolete in most circles.

As far as original Colt's available in 10" or 11.5" lengths, few and far between, are highly collectible, and stashed away in collections. Most of the guys I know that have them won't part with them for anything. So be careful when an 'authentic' example shows up, as many have been faked often by cutting down longer barrels and remarking them. There was a time about 20 years ago when it was the 'in thing' to have, a shorty. The problem was there were not enough real examples available. So, what do guys do? They make 'em. I would guess to find a real serviceable Colt 10" barrel in this day and age next to impossible.

Remember the 11.5" version hasn't been used in 30+ years, at least haven't been manufactured. The 10" version even longer. This is of course referencing those in original 1/12 twist configuration.

By the way, the moderators did not have baffels in the traditional sense, but had chambers. The ATF determined the moderators reduced sound signature by 1.5db, thereby ruling it a 'suppressor' in their convoluted opinion.