PDA

View Full Version : Paul Howe Standards?

loupav
07-12-10, 15:18
I'd like to learn a little more about the Paul Howe's Pistol Standards. A Google search did not turn up any satisfactory information other than a few AAR on his classes. I know I've shot them before, but can only remember the very basic stuff. Two to Center Mass, Five to Center Mass, a few malfunction drills and that's about it.

I'd really love to incorporate the standards into my regular practice. So I'd appreciate it if someone was to help me out with some more detailed info.

Thanks,

kry226
07-12-10, 15:50
If no one in the know comes along shortly, you could always send him an email or PM through this site. I am sure he wouldn't mind your note, and he'd probably get back with you pretty quickly, as has been my experience.

Agile53
07-12-10, 15:57
loupav email me thru M4C, PMs etc. are a no go, I can be of assistance.

Agile

loupav
07-12-10, 20:13
Ok. I sent something.
(hopefully I did it right.)

Thanks!

Submariner
10-29-10, 17:52
CSAT revised its web site.

CSAT Standards September 2010 (http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/standards.htm)

From the November 2010 Newsletter:

TRAINING:

I will be adding the Mozambique Drill (2 body/1 Head) to my rifle standard shortly and will look at using 1.75 seconds as the standard. My next Tac Rifle Instructor class will validate this.

Blake
10-30-10, 20:02
Forgive my stupidity...could someone clarify what is expected on standard number 4

...4. Ready 5/1 shots 1 target 7 yards 3 SEC

DacoRoman
10-30-10, 20:09
Forgive my stupidity...could someone clarify what is expected on standard number 4

...4. Ready 5/1 shots 1 target 7 yards 3 SEC

From the high ready, shoot 5 into the body "A" zone of the CSAT target, followed by 1 to the head, in 3 seconds or less at 7 yards

RogerinTPA
10-31-10, 09:52
It's safe to assume that all of the instructors from Paul's former unit hold the same standard. A high degree of accuracy and speed. The drills each present and teach may differ, but it all boils down to accuracy first, then speed. I've noticed several adopting the others drills (1-5 drill, 2x2x2 drill, Mozambique drills, with both pistol and carbine), with variations of a theme, but the standard (accuracy and speed) remains the same. The cross pollination comes from students taking various classes from the same former Unit instructors. Email him to get a list and description of his particular drills. Don't be surprised if you aren't invited to enroll in a class to find out for yourself.;)

Acespeedy
10-31-10, 13:58
Ready 5/1 shots 1 target 7 yards 3 SEC A-zone of USPSA target.

I didn't think it was possible at first, but after a few tries I can make it in 2.80 to 2.90's with a H&K USP with a LEM trigger chambered in .40. It's easier with a Glock 17 or Glock 34.

Jim D
10-31-10, 14:39
Paul recently put these up on his site for everyone:
http://combatshootingandtactics.com/standards.htm

CSAT Standards

PISTOL INSTRUCTOR STANDARDS SEPT 2010

The drills below drills are designed with three purposes in mind:

1. A measurable standard to maintain.
2. An efficient stair-stepped workout program that covers all the bases.
3. To test the individual shooter at various times to show areas needing improvement.

Only score shots in the center box and head of the CSAT target. If an enemy turns sideways, that will be all the shooter has to engage, resulting in a worse case scenario.

1. Ready 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1 SEC

2. Holster 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1.7 SEC

3. Ready 2 shots 1 target 7 yards 1.5 SEC

4. Ready 5/1 shots 1 target 7 yards 3 SEC

5. Ready 4 shots 2x target 7 yards 3 SEC

6. Ready 4 shots 2x weak/2x strong (1target) 5 SEC

7. Ready 1 shot Malfunction drill (1 target) 3 SEC

8. Ready 4 shots 2 Reload 2 (1 target) 5 SEC

9. Rifle up 1 shot Dry fire/transition 3.25 SEC

10. Holster 1 shot Kneeling (1 target) 25 yards 3.25 SEC

Total: 25 Rounds

INSTRUCTORS MUST PASS 8-10 STANDARDS IN ONE COURSE OF FIRE.

-All stations shot at 7 yards except #10.

TRI RIFLE STANDARDS SEPT 2010

The enclosed drills are designed with three purposes in mind:

3. To test the individual shooter at various times to show areas needing improvement.

1. Ready 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1.00 sec.

2. Ready 2 shots 1 target 7 yards 1.50 sec.

3. Ready 5/1 Shots 1 target 7 yards 3.00 sec.

4. Ready 2 shots /2 targets 7 yards 3.00 sec.

5. Ready 1 Rifle /1 Pistol 7 yards 3.25 sec

6. Ready** 5 shots /1 target 100 yards/prone 20 sec. *

7. Ready** 5 shots /1 target 75 yards/kneel 20 sec. *

8. Ready** 5 shots /1 target 50 yards/kneel 20 sec.*

9. Ready** 5 shots/1 target 25 yards/stand 8 sec.

Total: 34 Rounds Rifle/1 Pistol

-All rounds must be accounted for on the CSAT Target.

-Student must pass 8 of 10 drills to be successful.

-Drill 5, one shot from rifle is fired and then transition to pistol. Must both be hit.

* 4 of 5 rounds must be in box

** Requires only a full caliber hit on target to receive a “GO”

SNIPER STANDARDS SEPT 2010

The enclosed drills are designed with three purposes in mind:

1. Ready 1 shot/Unsupported/Prone Body 100 yards 7.00 sec.

2. Ready 1 shot/Bipod/Prone Head 100 yards 7.00 sec.

3. Ready 1 Shot/Stand to Kneel Body 75 yards 6.00 sec.

4. Ready 1 Shot/Prone to Kneel Body 75 yards 7.00 sec.

5. Ready 1 Shot/Stand to Kneel Body 50 yards 5.00 sec

6. Ready 1 Shot/Prone to Kneel Body 50 yards 5.00 sec

7. Ready 1 Shot/Stand to Kneel Body 25 yards 4.00 sec

8. Ready 1 Shot/Prone to Kneel Body 25 yards 5.00 sec

9. Ready 1 Shot/Stand to Kneel Head 25 yards 5.00 sec

10. Ready 1 Shot/Low Ready Body 7 yards 1.5 seconds

Total: 10 Rounds Rifle

-Student must pass 8 of 10 drills to be successful.

Joe Mamma
11-23-12, 09:59
From the high ready, shoot 5 into the body "A" zone of the CSAT target, followed by 1 to the head, in 3 seconds or less at 7 yards

So the "Ready" position can be high ready for all of the pistol drills (other than the holstered drills)?

Also, can anyone please describe what Paul Howe's "Ready" position is for the rifle drills and sniper drills?

Thanks.

Joe Mamma

Paul Howe
11-23-12, 15:49
Joe,

Thanks and High Ready with the pistol and low ready with the rifle.

Low ready is stock seated in shoulder and muzzle below the belt line. This includes sniper bolt and gas guns.

Paul

Ironman8
11-23-12, 16:05
Joe,

Thanks and High Ready with the pistol and low ready with the rifle.

Low ready is stock seated in shoulder and muzzle below the belt line. This includes sniper bolt and gas guns.

Paul

Can you define what High Ready would look like? I may be thinking of "Compressed High Ready", but where is the pistol in relation to your head?

Also, when you have multiple shots on more than one target, such as #5 Pistol Standard, are you splitting the rounds evenly between targets?

Thanks Paul.

Joe Mamma
11-24-12, 07:31
Thanks for the reply Paul.

Guys, I found this which is helpful information:
http://blog.hsoi.com/2012/04/04/csat-standards/

Joe Mamma

Ironman8
11-24-12, 08:01
Thanks for the reply Paul.

Guys, I found this which is helpful information:
http://blog.hsoi.com/2012/04/04/csat-standards/

Joe Mamma

Thanks for that...answered my questions.

Paul Howe
11-24-12, 13:44
Thanks, Guys.

As I evolved as an instructor, I began to develop sheets explaining the drills. I have them and give them out on disk to students attending classes.

My first courses were LE (Law Enforcement) and ran five days. With those courses I have a one hour powerpoint safety briefing which details the big four safety rules and adds points because of the evolved situations we find ourselves in. I also had time to explain in more detail the reasons "why." In two day classes, I still prefer to shoot more with less classroom. I do a bit more classroom in instructor classes.

In my firearms instructor classes (six days), I explain more on the standards and why they are sequenced the way we are. I do "infomercials" between certain drills to touch on reloads and the draw from the holster so students can practice each time they draw their weapon or hit a speed reload while performing shooting drills.

As for the videos, I have found that it is the most efficient way to get information across to a student. I grew up with books and sequenced pictures and they missed a great deal of detail. You could practice wrong until you went to a formal class and then had to undo the training scar you developed.

I hope this helps and if you have specific questions, shoot them to me.

Paul

warpedcamshaft
11-29-12, 00:00
TRAINING:

I will be adding the Mozambique Drill (2 body/1 Head) to my rifle standard shortly and will look at using 1.75 seconds as the standard. My next Tac Rifle Instructor class will validate this.

Was the Mozambique Drill validated and added to the rifle standards? I follow all the news letters, but never saw for sure and it looks like the site still lists the standards without that phase.

Paul Howe
11-29-12, 07:54
I did validate it about 2 years ago and added it. I used a group of West Texas law enforcement officers to validate it and the standard is aggressive.

My reason for adding the drill was for moving through multiple opponents and not having the time to flex-tie and having to turn your back on them. You could do it and pretty much be assured that they were no longer a threat with this drill.

Think about Mumbai in India where there seven plus bad guys and once you tuned up one, you have to move to take care of the others. You lose a minute or so when you stop to flex-tie and search.

Paul

RamZar
11-30-12, 13:51
We tried and very much liked the CSAT Pistol Instructor Standards but just steps 1-8 since it's all at 7 yards and all pistol. We used IDPA targets with anything outside the center mass 8 inch circle or 6 inch square head box being a miss.

1. Ready 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1 SEC
2. Holster 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1.7 SEC
3. Ready 2 shots 1 target 7 yards 1.5 SEC
4. Ready 5/1 shots 1 target 7 yards 3 SEC
5. Ready 4 shots 2x target 7 yards 3 SEC
6. Ready 4 shots 2x weak/2x strong (1 target) 5 SEC
7. Ready 1 shot Malfunction drill (1 target) 3 SEC
8. Ready 4 shots 2 Reload 2 (1 target) 5 SEC

Notes:

String 4 is 5 body and 1 head.
String 5 is 2 targets with 2 rounds each.
String 6 is 2 weak hand only and then 2 strong hand only
String 7 is no round chambered, click, tap, rack, bang
String 8 is 2 rounds loaded, fire 2, slide lock reload and fire another 2

Need work on String 6!

warpedcamshaft
05-21-13, 00:47
I've got a dumb question...

I'm not really sure what the following phrase means in the description of the rifle standards:

Everything else makes perfect sense, but I am having trouble understanding what a "full caliber hit" is and what that means in the context of the drill and target. I could speculate... but not 100 % sure.

If someone would please educate me, I would appreciate it.

mark5pt56
05-21-13, 06:39
I would take it as the entire bullet hole has to be within the scoring line boundry, not simply "touching" it.

I've got a dumb question...

I'm not really sure what the following phrase means in the description of the rifle standards:

Everything else makes perfect sense, but I am having trouble understanding what a "full caliber hit" is and what that means in the context of the drill and target. I could speculate... but not 100 % sure.

If someone would please educate me, I would appreciate it.

dravz
05-21-13, 10:04
I would take it as the entire bullet hole has to be within the scoring line boundry, not simply "touching" it.

That's what I assumed it meant

Paul Howe
05-21-13, 19:05
Thanks for the note.

When I first started running rifle standards, I took the drills out to 200 yards and required them to get rounds on target and not in the box.

First, finding ranges out to 200 in most LE venues was hard to find. Many only went out to 50 yards. I settled for 100 yards and 10 drills or standards to use as a training and evaluation model.

In the end, it was part of my old standards.

As for the low ready, muzzle below your beltline for either rifle or sniper rifle, stock seated in the shoulder.

High ready with the pistol, put elbows into your sides and then bring hands together in front of you, pistol slightly elevated under your shooting eye.

Thanks,

Paul