PDA

View Full Version : G 17shoots High left

sjc3081
07-12-10, 21:03
I have an Gen 2 17 that shoots high left. At 25 yards six" left and 7" high. I shoot right handed and am very sure it is the gun and not me. I'm not flinching as per my ball and dummy excise that I passed. I shoot my 21 and 20 also six" high at 25 yards but I'm dead on vertically. I had to drift my rear sight to the right to compensate and I have never had this wind-age issue with any other pistol. The sights are Trijicon GL11.
Any ideas?

tpd223
07-12-10, 23:39
I'm going to guess you are steering the gun to the left with your trigger finger, and not doing so with the bigger gripped guns due to a difference in how the grip sits in your hand.

Shoot the G17 left handed now, if it now shoots to the right, well, guess what?

I see this rather often on our range.

The high hits? May be how you are using the sights, may be a push-off going on.

JHC
07-13-10, 06:00
For the most part there can only be two variables. The shooter (primarily his trigger pull) or the sights. Work on isolating and confirm or eliminate the sights as a factor.

Could be the sights hit high and you push left. I've had a few Glocks with sights that struck that much high at 25 yds.

Looey
07-13-10, 06:47
Have someone else that know how to shoot try the gun, It is very common for right handed shooters to hit to the left. This becomes a lot more visible when you start getting to 25yds and beyond.

Crow Hunter
07-13-10, 07:20
It might be your trigger position.

I attached a quote from Tom Givens at Rangemaster that I stole from Gringop on LF.net that helped me alot.

Tom Givens
I would bet money your problem is described below:

Another problem directly connected to trigger reach issues is deflecting shots laterally by placing pressure on one side of the pistol frame while moving the trigger finger to the rear to fire the gun. This is a common issue among Glock shooters, who if right handed shoot to the left whenever they speed up. Of course, if left handed, they shoot to the right. The problem is what we at Rangemaster call the “trigger finger bicep”.

Try this: make a fist with your right hand and draw your forearm up to flex your bicep. As the forearm moves up, your bicep bulges atop your upper arm. Now, look at your trigger finger. Move it as if pressing a trigger. You will notice that the first joint, the part that joins to your palm, is bulging up, just like your bicep. The Glock, and many other polymer framed pistols, have a distinct corner behind the trigger guard, since the grip frame is rectangular in cross section, and considerably wider than the trigger guard. If your finger is in contact with that corner on the frame, as you press the trigger to the rear the “finger bicep” bulges, pushing against the frame, moving the gun laterally. Actually, the only place one’s trigger finger should touch the pistol is on the face of the trigger. If we wanted it to touch the frame, we’d call it the frame finger.

That is from an article I wrote on the issue. Try it and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

I shoot all my G19s slighting to the left (sometimes bad to the left :D). It does not happen with G21/G30 because I can't get my finger that far into the trigger guard. I tried the recommendation above and no more left shooting unless I grope the trigger bad.

Try shooting with just the pad of your finger and see if that helps.

That being said, I had a G19 that I just flat could not shoot.

sjc3081
07-13-10, 08:28
I'm going to range now and try to correct my problem. Thanks for the replies, I will report back.

djegators
07-13-10, 08:33
I have had a lot better luck with my Glocks, and shooting in general, once I learned to only use the tip of my finger on the trigger. Just the pad behind the fingernail. That and putting the backstrap firmly into the web of my hand, and holding the weapon so it lines up straight with my arm.

Good luck at the range!

sjc3081
07-13-10, 20:48
Three different shooters and me shooting strong and weak hand. Something is wrong with the gun and or the sights. The pistol shoot high left even with the original stock plastic sights. Trijicon wants the slide to see if they can correct the issue. I fear the issue may be with the gun itself. When I purchased the pistol the rear sight was drifted to the right. I though maybe the sight accidentally shifted, so I centered it. I'm guessing maybe the original owner had issues also.