PDA

View Full Version : Eotech Magnifier

heavyfire7537
06-10-07, 10:27
Pros and cons, What mount works the best?, etc.

Thanks for your time!!!!!

Steve
06-13-07, 12:52
I have been running a 3x and 4x Eotech magnifier for a bit now.
as well as a 3x aimpoint

the 4 x has an great field of view yet is very limited on eye releif
but it make up in crystal clear bright fov that matches th e window of the eotech unit itself,

the mount included in with unit can be a flip to side or totaly removed and reattached to base by an arms mount.

the unit is heavy but it is a dual lens and is hevy duty.

the 3 x is clean simple crips and clear and better eye releif about equal to the 3x from aimpoint......

if it were me i would go the 3x route....... i have both so i can say that.

Low Drag
06-13-07, 21:27
I've been looking at the 3X unit from Eotech too.

Thanks for the info.

ShipWreck
06-17-07, 12:46
These are out now? Didn't realize that.

Nathan_Bell
06-17-07, 16:07
These are out now? Didn't realize that.

Yeah, there is a thread on TOS with people having coronaries over the pricing.

Steve
06-17-07, 19:09
I have been runni ng a 557 555 and a 4x for several months now good stuff there finally shipping. yah wel lthey forget it comes with mounts.

FJB
06-18-07, 02:48
FYI.

EO 3Xs are made in China, whereas their 4X appears to be made with decent european glass. Thus, the huge price difference. Their rationale appears to be that they wanted to under sell the Aimpoint 3X (which is made with good european glass) to the window lickers, while racking up a large profit as their cost for the EO 3X is 1/10th of what they are selling it for, while selling the better 4X magnifier to the U.S. military and those who appreciate the better quality glass.

Also, for those deployed or deploying the EO 3X (not sure about the 4X) doesn't have the required laser eye safe coatings for magnified optics.

S/F

Resq47
06-18-07, 15:46
I checked out Steve's 4x yesterday and was surprised how short the eye-relief is. I guess if it just has to be square it's the way to go, but I'm glad round is better for me.

losbronces
06-25-07, 11:05
I checked out Steve's 4x yesterday and was surprised how short the eye-relief is. I guess if it just has to be square it's the way to go, but I'm glad round is better for me.

What is the eye relief?

Shihan
06-26-07, 01:57
Is the fixed mount QD? There is a review on TOS about the flip mount not holding zero.

Resq47
06-26-07, 04:32
What is the eye relief?

I can't give you a measurement, but it's noticeably shorter than my aimpoint magnifier.

millett
07-06-07, 07:27
Hello all,

I saw there was talk of eye relief and how much. Allow me to tell you an easy way to determine ER on any scope.

You will need the following

Small flashlight
scope to test
sheet of white paper
ruler

Its easy to do this test with the scope off the firearm but can be done while mounted.

Hold the paper behind the scope or place it on a table, take the flashlight and shine it through the objective end of the scope, ( end towards the target )
moving the paper in and out, or move the scope up and down until you have the sharpest point of light on the paper from the scope. Kind of like when you were a kid and burned ants with a magnifing glass....... get the sharp point of light.
Hold that position and measure the distance from the rear lens of the scope to the paper and that is the eye relief.

Its best if the diopter setting is at 0 for the true ER.

Hope you find this of interest and I hope I explained it ok

Good shooting

Steve

Millett sights

2011BLDR
07-16-07, 22:17
The 3X FTS Mount Latch fell apart on the 17th round fired in the BZO process. The cheap a** pins fell out releasing the latch and springs, I found every thing except the springs. This mount is junk no ware near capable of being able to bet your life on it. If they can't afford a decent mount at the pricing point don’t bother let some company that knows what they are doing develop mounting solutions. So the funds spent on this are a waste and the magnifier useless until someone develops a better pivoting mount.
Out
2011BLDR

DocGKR
07-17-07, 01:06
The LaRue LT649 is the better pivot mount and Aimpoint the better 3x glass...

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/48437-LaRue_Pivot.jpg

Low Drag
07-17-07, 07:07
The 3X FTS Mount Latch fell apart on the 17th round fired in the BZO process. The cheap a** pins fell out releasing the latch and springs, I found every thing except the springs. This mount is junk no ware near capable of being able to bet your life on it. If they can't afford a decent mount at the pricing point don’t bother let some company that knows what they are doing develop mounting solutions. So the funds spent on this are a waste and the magnifier useless until someone develops a better pivoting mount.
Out
2011BLDR

That's good to know, well bad for you but thanks for passing it on. I almost went the magnifier route. Instead I opted for the IOR/Valdada 1.1-4X w/CQB reticle. I am really surprised how easy it is to use the "horseshoe" close up and the 4X is really nice for longer ranges.