PDA

View Full Version : Please check my reload data.

Mikey
07-13-10, 01:26
Reloaded some .30 carbine tonight and i wanted to have some one else look over my data before I went and blew my rifle up.

All my brass was once fired s&b aguila and winchester.

CCI #450 small magnum rifle primer
14.9 gr IMR 4227 compressed
OAL is 1.68
Magtech 110 gr fmj

I feel pretty good about this load. The only thing making me nervous is the magnum primer. I usually use a regular small primer but I'm trying to get a bit more velocity. Around 1900-1950 fps.
Opinions?

Mike

eightmillimeter
07-13-10, 13:58
Everyone who has ever reloaded has switched around primers to suit a need such as (lately) availability, brand preference, or otherwise. I think your load is probably okay but if you feel the need to ask a second opinion because you think your load is hotter based on the information you already have you may have already answered your own question. The magnum primer may help consistency because your load is compressed, but rifle primers are hotter anyway and you are really dealing with a pistol type load similar to a 357 magnum. A small rifle primer is going to give you more power than a small pistol magnum anyway so is the magnum rifle needed, probably not. And more velocity? 30 carbine is an intermediate round, even if you could get it t0 2500 fps it would do you no good because the bullet is too small to take advantage of it.

Mikey
07-13-10, 14:54
It seems to work out. Went and tested it today. Shot about 150 rds. Groups are down from 2.5" avg to 1.8" avg.

MarshallDodge
07-13-10, 18:07
Glad they worked for you. I substituted some small pistol magnum primers last year in 9mm loads and found them to be more accurate as well.