PDA

View Full Version : Summer Workshop Poll Thread

Jay Cunningham
07-13-10, 12:39
This is an addendum to the original Summer Workshop thread to gauge interest. The idea is one solid day (about 11 hours to include a good lunch break) on a Saturday to focus on one aspect of shooting.

The choices:

Marksmanship Fundamentals
Accuracy With Speed
Murphy's Law
Quirks of the Kalashnikov

MF would be open to all comers. AWS and ML would have prerequisites, and QOTK would require some backround with carbines.

T_K

Shawn.L
07-13-10, 13:09
I think it would be benificial to include a short destriptive sentance or two with each option in your OP. I can guess as to what you mean to do in a ML workshop, but it would help with decision making to have the choices be more defined.

Jay Cunningham
07-13-10, 18:32
I would like to conduct a free summer Workshop for members of this site and M4C. This would probably take place near Rogers, OH at a private range. The idea is one solid day (about 11 hours to include a good lunch break) on a Saturday to focus on one aspect of shooting. The Workshop is free, but a donation of $5 or $10 would be greatly appreciated for targets and pasters and that kind of support gear.

The choices:

Marksmanship Fundamentals - Absolute focus on accuracy and precision.

Accuracy With Speed - Shifting gears from Accuracy to Speed and back again, repeatedly.

Murphy's Law - Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Shooting unfamiliar weapons, weak hand malfunction clearance, and whatever else crops up.

Quirks of the Kalashnikov - This workshop is an introduction to the proper fundamentals of marksmanship and unique manipulations of the Avtomat Kalashnikova in the context of self defense.

MF would be open to all comers. AWS and ML would have prerequisites, and QOTK would require some background with carbines.

T_K

Complication
07-13-10, 22:59
and whatever else crops up

I see we're getting into the spirit of things...

lethal dose
07-13-10, 23:17
My vote is for accuracy/speed as long as it is handgun geared.

Blake
07-14-10, 19:52
My vote was for accuracy with speed, as I see both being valuable as elements of defensive/offensive shooting. I'm game, hope I can make the date, whenever it comes.

Jay Cunningham
07-15-10, 15:27
One quick note - the *intent* of these Study Groups or Workshops is for individuals with little or no formal training to get some good trigger time under the watchful eye of much more experienced shooters.

I ain't no Larry Vickers, and I can't do what he can do. If you have more than one formal class under your belt and you practice at least a couple of times a month, something like one of these Workshops is probably not going to push you very much out of your comfort zone.

If you are an experienced shooter you are welcome of course, but you'd probably get more out of it helping run a line than actually shooting.

I just wanted to put out realistic expectations for what these are and what they aren't.

gsxr-fan
07-15-10, 16:14
my vote would be:

1. Marksmanship Fundamentals
2. Murphy's Law

As for accuracy w/speed, an old samurai dictum stated "advanced techniques where the basics mastered."

Jay Cunningham
07-18-10, 19:57
Bump for final data gathering.

Jay Cunningham
07-20-10, 12:01
Looks like the most interest is in Accuracy With Speed. Thanks to those participating.

Complication
07-20-10, 16:26
Looks like the most interest is in Accuracy With Speed.
Never a bad thing to focus on--at any level.