PDA

View Full Version : Questions for those who've handled the new S&W "Bodyguard" line of pistols

RAM Engineer
07-13-10, 13:06
I haven't seen a single example of these guns here locally and I have some questions for those of you who might have handled them or own one:

1. Does the Bodyguard 38 revolver have the internal key lock, like the rest of S&W's revolver line?
2. How well does the ambi-cylinder release work? Is it awkward to actuate?
3. Does the top mounted Insight Tech. laser and switch compare favorably with a Crimson Trace laser grip? It seems like it would be slower and less instinctive to activate.
4. Same question as #3, but for the Bodyguard 380.
5. How does the size of the 380 compare to, say, a Ruger LCP?
6. Which would you choose: Bodyguard 38 or Ruger LCR?
7. Bodyguard 380 or Ruger LCP?

Thanks,
Jason

sandsunsurf
07-13-10, 16:14
I handled one a couple of times, so I can answer a couple of your questions:

2. It's not bad- I got used to it quickly, and it wasn't awkward, although I did feel like it was mushy.

3. I would pick the Crimson every time. The top button was indeed difficult to operate compared to the pressure pad grip.

6. S&W 642 or 442 with Crimson Trace. Then the Ruger LCR. Then the new Bodyguard 38. The Ruger has the biggest grip, which will probably be nice when firing more than 10 rds. The Bodyguard has the smallest, which will obviously help for concealment.

---
I haven't made a signature yet, so I should at least put in a disclaimer that I work (very) part time for a local gun shop in Nevada.

RAM Engineer
07-14-10, 07:12
sandsunsurf,

Thanks for the info. I've got a 442 that needs a pair of CT lasergrips. looks like that would be better money spent than one of the new "polymer" revolvers.