PDA

View Full Version : Tri Cities Kali - Filipino Combatives Training Group

jwinch2
07-13-10, 13:43
Thanks to "The Katar" for giving me permission to post this information.

I am getting ready to move to the Tri-cities area and am looking to start a small group of like minded individuals who are interested in learning the Filipino martial arts. I have been given permission from Guro Pat Tray, who is a full instructor under the legendary Dan Inosanto, to start a group training and teaching the Filipino Martial Arts, specifically, the Inosanto-LaCoste blend of Kali.

In order to continue my own training and development, I will be doing a number of things. First, I will be driving back to my current location on a regular basis to continue my training directly with Pat Tray. Secondly, I will attending multiple seminars (3 - 6) every year with Guro Dan Inosanto. Thirdly, I will driving a good distance on a weekly basis to work with instructor who is certified under Guro Dan. Anyone interested in making the weekly trek with me is welcome. Finally, I travel a good deal for work and will be seeking out private lessons with certified instructors wherever I travel to get different perspectives and ideas on the system.

All rankings will be handled by Guro Pat Tray so you can be sure of an absolutely legitimate lineage for your training. In addition, the curriculum of instruction will be approved by Pat Tray. I am calling the training "Filipino Combatives" because we will be focusing on the combative aspect of everything we do. There are some drills which may, at first glance, not have direct combative application. However, once one understands the goals of the drill and the underlying principles that it entails, those combative attributes become apparent. Once participants have been around a few months, we will also be sparring in a variety of formats (empty hand vs. empty hand, stick vs. stick, knife vs. knife, stick vs. empty hand, stick vs. knife, empty hand vs. knife, etc.) on a regular basis. A primary focus of our group will be the ability of participants to utilize the skills in a live setting. However, safety of all concerned will always be emphasized.

There are 12 distinct areas of the Inosanto Blend of Kali but our group will be focusing on 6 of those that are the most combatively relevant in the modern world. 1)Empty hand, or mano mano. This is often referred to as Panantukan, dirty boxing, pagnamut, Filipino boxing, etc. 2) Single dagger/knife. Also defenses against the knife will be highlighted 3)Single stick/bolo. 4)Stick/sword and Dagger. Stick and dagger may not seem to have much relevance in today's society, but it is a very important thing to learn as it does a fantastic job of teaching one how to use the non-stick hand in single stick. Also, training to be ambidextrous is a big part of the Filipino Martial Arts. Finally, put a collapsible baton and pocket knife in your hands and now you are using the skills in a real world setting. 5) double stick. Double stick training allows us to work on ambidexterity and other attributes which translate well to empty hand and single stick/knife work. 6) Double knife. Again issues of ambidexterity will be explored as well as the combative implications of using more than one knife at the same time.

ABOUT THE FILIPINO MARTIAL ARTS (This is very general here can can change depending on system and instructor):

Few cultures are better known for their fighting skills with blunt, bladed, or flexible weapons than the ancient warriors of the Philippines.

However, people still wonder where the Filipino martial arts have been. Like kung fu, before Bruce Lee's time, it was practiced in secrecy. The Filipino people saw it as their protection in a world filled with violence, prejudice, and suspicion. Times have changed and today the Filipino martial arts are quickly becoming recognized as one of the most exciting, complete, and practical martial arts of our time.

Many people believe that the Filipino martial arts are only a weapons art. On the contrary, it is a very efficient and effective empty-hand art. The use of elbows, knees, headbutts, kicks, and punches are common in close range fighting. Grappling techniques (standing or on the ground) include throws, trips, sweeps, takedowns, chokes, and locks.

ABOUT MY INSTRUCTOR, Mr. PAT TRAY:

With over 21 years of service in the U.S. Navy's SEA, AIR, LAND (SEAL) special operations units, one of the most elite commando units in the world, he has served in over 60 different countries and is a decorated combat veteran in no less than six different combat arenas. He was a member of the elite SEAL Team Six 13 years, proving himself as an expert in counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency.

He is personally qualified in virtually every aspect of special operations and is also a highly experienced instructor in military combat operations. He has trained SEAL teams, other U.S. and foreign Special Forces units, and several government agencies in the following areas:

Combatives/Hand to Hand Combat
Firearms – sniper rifle, assault rifle, submachine gun, machine gun, and pistol
Explosives
CQB (Close Quarter Battle) Tactics
Jump Operations
Dive Operations
Ground Movement
Prisoner Handling
Hostile Apprehensions
Tactical Driving
SEAL Team Six Green Team (initial training)

His martial arts expertise is nearly as profound as his military experience. He is a highly qualified instructor in a number of martial arts and holds certifications from such respected martial artists as Sifu/Guro Dan Inosanto, protιgι and training partner of Bruce Lee, and Ajarn Surachai Sirisute, the father of Muay Thai in the United States. His qualifications include:

Full instructor – Filipino Martial Arts (Under Guro Dan Inosanto)
Full Instructor – Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune Do Concepts (Under Guro Dan Inosanto)
Full Instructor – Muay Thai/Thai Boxing (Under Ajarn Surachai Sirisute – Thai Boxing Association of USA)
Full instructor – Jeet Kune Do Concepts (Under Paul Vunak)
Full Instructor – Filipino Martial Arts (Under Paul Vunak)
Associate Instructor – Combat Submission Wrestling (Under Erik Paulson)
Black Belt – Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Under Rigan Machado)

ABOUT THE INOSANTO-LACOSTE BLEND OF KALI:

The Filipino Martial Arts perpetuated by Guro Dan Inosanto and his students is generically known as Inosanto/LaCoste Kali or JKD/Kali and is grounded in elements of the respected systems of John LaCoste, Antonio Ilustrisimo, Floro Villabrille, Leo Giron, Angel Cabales, Lucky Lucaylucay, Jack Santos, Sam Tendencia, Gilbert Tenio, Leo Gaje, Dionisio Canete, Max Sarmiento, Pedro Apilado and Edgar Sulite among others (more than 30 instructors) thus, practitioners of Inosanto/LaCoste Kali prefer not to attach limiting labels or names to their expression of Filipino martial arts.

Preferring instead to grab concepts and techniques from which ever source and integrate them into their expression of personal training. However, over the years a common training progression and teaching method has developed among practitioners of Inosanto/LaCoste Kali. While the basic techniques and drills of Kali vary little amongst practitioners of the art. Each Instructor reflects on their own experience and adjusts the curriculum and training to fit their own needs and the needs of their students.

Beginners generally start their training with double sticks and single stick progressions in order to give them a solid foundation in the basics. From there, student's progress to using stick and dagger, sword and dagger, and single and double daggers, after which longer weapons such as the staff and spear are introduced, as the advanced practitioner then moves on to flexible weapons, throwing weapons to empty hand training. While each Instructor of Inosanto/LaCoste Kali has their own focus, the fundamental training, techniques, and drills are generally consistent between them.

Two of the most important training methods in Inosanto/LaCoste Kali are the Sumbrada (counter for counter drill) if done properly, it will develop reflexes, timing and a sense of distancing with the adaptability of using all of the weapons learned within the system next is the Abecedario numbering method which teaches the six primary strategies used in Kali, the first is an understanding and use of the three primary ranges of combat.

The principle being that in a combative situation it can only take place in long, medium, or close range. The second is the use of 12 angles of attack defending against a attackers angle of trajectory, than trying to memorize specific defenses against every conceivable type of attack. The third principle is that of parrying, safety checks, development of power blows and combinations.

The fourth principle is that of zoning and body angulation. The fifth principle is known as zero pressure, or maneuvering to the place where the opponent's strike holds the least power. The sixth principle is known as defanging the snake, wherein the opponent's weapon hand is considered the snakes fang's, and by striking the opponent's hand with your weapon and taking it out of commission, the ability to harm is effectively removed.

I hope that you are interested. I will be moving to the area in the first week of August and would love to get started right away. If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to let me know. I can be reached at: tricitieskali@gmail.com or you can PM me on here. I will be doing a bit of traveling over the next three weeks some of which will be out of the country, as well as moving down to the Tri Cities, so if I don't get back to you immediately, I will do so upon my return. I should only be out of touch a couple of days but I wanted to make sure you know in advance.

Best regards,

Jason

pedrosalas7
09-03-15, 11:59
Sorry to revive this thread.

I recently moved to Richland, WA from Venezuela, where I practiced kali for about 5 years and I was looking for the possibility to start my training once again.

Is there any place here where I can do that?

Salamat.

jwinch2
12-25-15, 09:57
Sorry. I just now came across this reply. I no longer live in the area. In Richmand, I am not sure where to suggest. If you were over closer to Va Beach, it would not be a problem, nor would it if you were closer to NoVa. Depending on the distance, you might check out East Wind and Trident Academy. I am no longer in the area, so meeting to train would not work.

Best regards,