PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Question

Mac5.56
07-13-10, 15:20
So...

It's four days until my wedding (my first and only), and three days until we all head out to the 350 acre piece of property we're having the ceremony on. I haven't seen a lot of my friends and family in years/months, and I only get to see my father one time a year. Most of my wedding party are hunters, or would like to shoot.

So here's the question: Since the owner of the property is cool with it, should I take my AR up to do some early morning shooting with my wedding party while the women worry about all the fuffy stuff??? Or is it better left at home?

Quiet-Matt
07-13-10, 15:32
First, congratulations.
Second, do it.
With my friends I'd have toremove and hide the bolt somewhere before the reception, or there'd be some drunk ass shooting into the woods.

Skyyr
07-13-10, 15:45
So...

It's four days until my wedding (my first and only), and three days until we all head out to the 350 acre piece of property we're having the ceremony on. I haven't seen a lot of my friends and family in years/months, and I only get to see my father one time a year. Most of my wedding party are hunters, or would like to shoot.

So here's the question: Since the owner of the property is cool with it, should I take my AR up to do some early morning shooting with my wedding party while the women worry about all the fuffy stuff??? Or is it better left at home?

On the day of your wedding, unless you're just having a really relaxed setting with everyone showing up casually, you'll be hard-pressed to have any spare time. Couple that in with potential for disasters, people potentially messing with your firearm while you're not around (i.e. getting ready to get married), and the very off chance someone could be injured and claim a lawsuit... you're better off not having it out or using it on the day of your wedding.

Now, you COULD have a bachelor party the day before and go do some shooting (if the property owner allows) beforehand. That might work out better for you.

ST911
07-13-10, 15:50
Why not go shooting. Standard rules of safety and security apply.

Have you picked a gun to wear during the ceremony? Some choose something significant they already own, or something new to commemorate the occasion. Same for blades and lights, too.

Business_Casual
07-13-10, 15:50
It is not your day, it is hers. Leave the rifle in the trunk.

B_C

PaulL
07-13-10, 16:51
It is not your day, it is hers. Leave the rifle in the trunk.

B_C

No way! Start asserting your manhood now before she takes it away! :p

Buckaroo
07-13-10, 18:12
If it can be done sans alcohol then I say go for it. No reason not to enjoy a morning shoot while the ladies get their pretty on (said as a pastor who would love to be invited to a shooting party).

Buckaroo

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-14-10, 00:30
Smarter than the guys who play a round of golf the morning of and get sunburned to hell...

Just check when pics and stuff are being taken. If you have an late afternoon wedding, there should be plenty of time.

Mac5.56
07-14-10, 03:14
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Just a bit of background we are leaning towards the night before as a possibility as well since the rehearsal dinner is on location, but it would be nice to just chill with the boys the day of considering... :)

My dad is in the camp of no guns on the day due to the reasons some of you have stated. He has been a safety coordinator for a major (not BP) oil company for too long, seen some shit, and it kind of killed his fun meter... :) I listen to his advice a lot, but he is also the man that drilled the safety lessons of firearms into me before I could read, and will be taking and securing the gun pre wedding if anything happens, so he is open, but we'll see. With him and me combined it will be safe, slow, and enjoyable. If I do go on the day I will post some picks of all of us after the event.

See you all soon.