PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Gun Show Rant

Iraqgunz
07-13-10, 20:24
Over the weekend I decided to go to the Crossroads gun show in phoenix at the fairgrounds. I was a little skeptical and then pissed upon arrival. First off was the parking which was 10.00. Then another 15.00 to get in (yes I said 15.00).

Of course as soon as I get in I am greeted by the sight of Chinese knock off bullshit everywhere. Ranging from crap scopes to parts galore. I couldn't even find but one real Aimpoint T1 and it was (IMHO) overpriced.

I was also looking to find a decent used Glock 19 or 17. This proved harder than I imagined since there are people who still think that the elections were yesterday and they were selling used Glocks in the high 400.00 range. Are they serious? I can get a new one locally for 479.00 plus tax. New Glocks were going for around 500.00 plus.

Now on to the AR's. Ridiculously overpcied. I saw very few quality AR's (Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense, etc..) the exception being for Specialized Armament and his line of AR's and Colts. I saw alot of crap like DPMS Sporticals (listed at 899.00 plus tax) as well as your typical Bushmasters, etc...

Most of the AR accessories I found were garbage UTG and CAA stuff. There were a few exceptions of course with some slightly overpriced Magpul stuff.

Ammo prices were ok. I didn't see any smoking deals. The one possible exception was a company called Miwall Dist. out of California. I have purchased from them before and will do so in the future. They had 500 round cases of Winchester 147gr. subsonic for 92.00. I also picked up 1K rounds of Hornady 55gr. TAP training for 284.00 which included tax. They also had Federal M193 (900 rd case) for 299.00 plus tax. Considering the prices I have seen that isn't bad. I noticed that Wolf ammo seemed to be a big seller as all kinds of people were selling it and buying.

There were a few decent AK deals, but most of what I saw was U.S produced parts crap that I would be leery of buying. Magazine prices seemed to be about normal.

I think my best score of the show were ammo cans. One guy had standard GI cans in very good to excellent shape for 6.00 a piece. I even picked up a small (32rd.) 40MM can for 14.00 dollars. Alot less than I paid recently for some GI cans at a local surplus store.

If anyone else went I would like to hear your observations.

chadbag
07-13-10, 20:32
I have not been to a gunshow, with one exception, since early 2006. Mainly for the same reasons you say. Lots of crap, people who have no clue on value, etc.

I did go down to Phoenix and the Crossroads/SAR show in Dec 2008. The SAR hall was interesting. The little of the Crossroads show I saw was as you described, though I did see a guy with an FDE UBR (which at the time was rare) and his price was almost reasonable.

dbrowne1
07-13-10, 20:34
Other than paying $7 (not $25 including parking as you did), you have described perfectly every gun show in my area in the last couple years.

You've also articulated why I don't go to them anymore.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-13-10, 20:38
gunshows are a joke stuff is always to much money in my experence and the guys who work the boths are know it all types. I spend my money online.

SeriousStudent
07-13-10, 21:04
I'm glad to hear you are safely back in CONUS for a while. I hope you have a pleasant stay, and a safe trip back overseas.

It's much the same here at the Dallas - Fort Worth area shows. Lots of NCStar Chinese clone crap. And airsoft and blowdarts, for heaven's sake. :rolleyes:

There are a few bright lights. A couple of dealers carry a good selection of Magpul, Aimpoint, Larue, DD, and other gear. There are two dealers that have Colt, DD and LMT carbines, and do not give you a blank look when you say the word "Noveske".

The ammo can prices do tend to be higher here, as well as the reloading components. You do save on the hazmat shipping fees, but they seem to factor that in to their price.

Primers are available again, and not for stupid prices. Wolf and GMM were both seen at decent, but not great prices.

The issue of used Glocks is about the same here. Most of them are selling for only $50 below new for a police trade-in G-17 or G-22. Good luck finding a used G-19. A used G-26 is about as rare as an honest politician.

I got really lucky, and scored a barely used G-26 for $400 a few weeks back.

SeriousStudent
07-13-10, 21:06
gunshows are a joke stuff is always to much money in my experence and the guys who work the boths are know it all types. I spend my money online.

Exactly right. I usually just order from the site sponsors here. It's almost always cheaper, is a known good item, and the saved sales tax always pays the shipping fees.

Plus, someday when Grant's boys graduate from college, I'll know I helped. :D

dmanflynn
07-13-10, 21:13
I went to one last month in lexington ky., It sucked horribly. Paid 10 to get in to see tables and tables of cheap scopes, junk lasers, and junk AR upper and lower receivers. Ammo was decent and nothing else was. The only thing I really enjoyed about it was an older guy that was selling hand made knives. That was the highlight. Unfortunately gun shops arent much different around here either so I took a shot that the show might be better.....:rolleyes: :mad:

MarkG
07-13-10, 21:40
Like printed media (newspapers/magazines), the Gun Show era is in decline. The economy certainly isn't helping either. The last couple of shows I have gone too were as thin as I have ever seen them. The internet (auction sites/ee's/dealers) is taking the wood to the traveling road show.

Side note - I have found a couple of better than average deals at pawn shops lately. Those guys seem to be willing to bargain a little more than usual.

5pins
07-13-10, 22:17
It's much the same here at the Dallas - Fort Worth area shows.

Sorry to hear that. I’m moving to Waco soon and was hopping that gun shows would be better there. I stopped going to them here a few years ago because of the crap for sale and high prices.

jwfuhrman
07-13-10, 22:17
The only reason I go to the gunshows here is too see what ammo prices are there and the one booth(Class 3 Sales from Warsaw, IN) has really decent prices on their guns.

orionz06
07-13-10, 22:24
How was the jerky selection?

kmrtnsn
07-13-10, 22:25
Take a trip over to Mesa and stop by Glockmeister, he may be able to steer you to some good used Glock deals.

TehLlama
07-13-10, 22:59
Sorry they felt entitled ask that much money from you for the privilege to exhale lurking bits of LNK into their show.

See anything impressive, or hilarious?

BVickery
07-13-10, 23:54
last gunshow I went to we found deals, just got to be willing to say 'no' and walk away. Of course, I'd look at the item, pull out a wad of cash, and count out what I'm willing to pay. I got all my deals from the people who had a table, or the walk ins.

Grabbed a nice Marlin lever action in 30-30 for $150, great barrel, stock was decent.

Remington Model 700 in .270 for about $250

Ruger 10-22 youth LNIB for $180

Mossberg 500 for $100
CD 12ga for $125 LNIB
Ruger Single Six w/ 22LR and .22WMR for $300 (1970s mfg)
Browning Buckmark NIB for $375

The guy for the Single Six actually called us over while we were looking for another 22LR pistol for the ex and said he would take what we were offering for it.

Iraqgunz
07-14-10, 00:42
That pisses me off to no end. All the jewelry and crap that has nothing to do with guns.

chadbag
07-14-10, 00:59
That pisses me off to no end. All the jewelry and crap that has nothing to do with guns.

At least jerky is kind of related (outdoors, hunting, etc). The non gun/hunting toys, jewelry, crystal, cell phones and chiropractors, "sugar babies", etc have taken over.

Pappabear
07-14-10, 03:02
I went to that garbage dump too. It always surprises me how many people buy used guns for more than you can get them NIB. I went to pick up some cleaning supplies for my AR10. That worked out OK. I found some Blackhawk gloves that were nice for $15.00. I was looking for an offeset mount for my RMR, the only thing I could find that was not pure ****ing trash was YHM offset. I'm going to give that a try.

I saw more beef jerky, Zippo lighters and garage sell clothing than quality guns. Like you said, that Colt booth was the only thing that didnt look like a shit hole. I think the Noveske Booth was behind the beef jerky, and KAC was right by the womens fine clothing rack. And you talk about Hot women everywhere.... "Come to the Phx Gun Show/ Garage Sale / Circus for two days only."

SteyrAUG
07-14-10, 03:02
Like printed media (newspapers/magazines), the Gun Show era is in decline. The economy certainly isn't helping either. The last couple of shows I have gone too were as thin as I have ever seen them. The internet (auction sites/ee's/dealers) is taking the wood to the traveling road show.

You are correct and it's kinda a shame. I stopped doing gun shows about 5 years ago. When I attend as a customer rather than a vendor it really isn't to buy anything. It is more the nostalgia of going to a gun show. It is the experience, or at least the pretense of the experience.

In reality it is the same guys selling the same crap you saw at the last gun show and the same people telling the same stories, etc. I pretty much just go for social reasons, to run into a few "gun folks" and shoot the shit with a few of the dealers I'm friendly with.

One day gun shows might go the way of the video rental store. Maybe, maybe not. All I know is I will miss them if they do, even if I don't go very often.

PaulL
07-14-10, 06:45
Crap, we must just be lucky down here. There's a lot of the same junk for sale, but the ammo and gun prices seem to be fair. Glocks are $450 new and I've seen some used ones for $300-350. The Ammunitiontogo guys come to the bigger shows and they have some pretty nice prices.

What I haven't seen, though, is anybody selling 4 or 5 lb. cans of powder. All I can get is the little ones. :(

TOrrock
07-14-10, 07:18
I remember the late 1980's and early 1990's shows were decent.

Wide variety of stuff, and good deals to be had.

That pretty much ended after the AWB of 1994 around here.

And I swear, I'm going to double tap the next ****tard that picks up a stun gun and activates it.

orionz06
07-14-10, 07:22
And I swear, I'm going to double tap the next ****tard that picks up a stun gun and activates it.

I used to be against that until I saw three guys pissing with theirs. One had made the comment that the stun gun wouldnt work through their puffy jackets. Needless to say I was a witness to all of them being proven wrong by each other.

What does bother me though is the fact that the shows are not CCW friendly.

Nathan_Bell
07-14-10, 07:32

Aye. The mouthbreathers who think it is funny to do 'shave and a haircut" using as stun gun, for hours at a time, need to be removed from the gene pool.

Nathan_Bell
07-14-10, 07:34
I used to be against that until I saw three guys pissing with theirs. One had made the comment that the stun gun wouldnt work through their puffy jackets. Needless to say I was a witness to all of them being proven wrong by each other.

I go to a fair number of them during the winter, and to be honest. Not allowing these; non-bathing, non-toothbrushing, no concept of muzzle awareness, know it all, hungover, folks to carry CCW is probably a decision I would make as well. And this is just the vendors....

John_Wayne777
07-14-10, 08:17

Not as bad as the people who insist on painting your face with a laser...or those who walk around with a 9 pound rifle attached to a sharpened bayonet that they allow to flop around sufficiently to stab you in the face.

3CTactical
07-14-10, 08:40
I enjoy going to the Phoenix gunshows to mingle with all the local gangsters.:rolleyes:

John_Wayne777
07-14-10, 08:41
You should view that as an opportunity, dude. That way you can see what sight picture works best on Mr. Gangbanger before the real thing.

dbrowne1
07-14-10, 08:45

It's not a gun show these days without the periodic staccato of a 9v battery powered, Chinese-made stun gun permeating the jerky-flavored air of the convention hall.:D

A girl I went to school with years ago bought one of those things for home protection. I remember a bunch of us were sitting around at her place watching TV and I demonstrated - by repeatedly zapping myself with it - that it does nothing more than make a mild sting. I've often thought about walking up to the gun show booth and doing the same demonstration, but haven't gotten the gumption yet to do it.

orionz06
07-14-10, 09:04
I go to a fair number of them during the winter, and to be honest. Not allowing these; non-bathing, non-toothbrushing, no concept of muzzle awareness, know it all, hungover, folks to carry CCW is probably a decision I would make as well. And this is just the vendors....

I don't think I can argue that one.

MarkG
07-14-10, 09:41

:lol: Better yet, take it away and use it on him until the battery is dead...

Any So Cal guys in here old enough to remember the Pomona show. Sponsored by Budweiser. Nothing like a cold barley soda while shopping for guns...

Scoby
07-14-10, 11:19
I mostly go to shows now days for the entertainment.

Went to two a couple of weeks ago just outside of Atlanta and actually hoped to pickup a couple of things.

I was looking for a light, light mount and a Magpul ACS stock. Only thing I found was ACS stocks and they were $10 to $15 dollars more than I can get them over the interweb. And nobody, and I mean nobody, had the QD swivel adapter for the ACS. This little part is about to piss me off and it's 20 bucks no less.

At least half the tables in both these shows were displaying junk.

Did see alot of Chinese knock-off optics. Sad thing is, I also saw alot of people showing interest in them too. Lots of knives. Did get to see some RAT blades along with alot of junk.

Like I said, I go for the entertainment and with low expectations these days.

Scoby

vaglocker
07-14-10, 12:55
I've often wondered if a gunshow vendor who actually carried top tier gear or competively priced guns could make money or not at these shows. I'm thinking probably not mainly because of the majority of patrons are bafoons. Why would they spend a premium for an Aimpoint when a $25 NC Star is just a table away.

TOrrock
07-14-10, 12:58
I've often wondered if a gunshow vendor who actually carried top tier gear or competively priced guns could make money or not at these shows. I'm thinking probably not mainly because of the majority of patrons are bafoons. Why would they spend a premium for an Aimpoint when a $25 NC Star is just a table away.

And that is exactly the problem, at least in the Central VA area.

The vast majority of AR and AK consumers don't know what they don't know....

And the ones that have tried to market top tier gear are usually assholes who are "LE Only" or so over priced it's not even worth looking seriously.

JSantoro
07-14-10, 13:13
I mostly go to shows now days for the entertainment.

This, and I can still find decent ammo prices, at least compared to websites and their NOT IN STOCK placards. Can usually get what I need for what I'd pay to order it, sometimes even less.

Once the ammo is bought, I spend an hour or two meandering about, looking at some of the absurdities for sale and the examples of Darwin's Wading Pool clip-clopping around on their hooves.

I almost always manage to forget to NOT go to the NRA HQ Range or Blue Ridge Arsenal on the day that the Dulles Expo gun show is going on. All the yuckapucks go to the gun show, buy something they saw L'il Wayne using, and feel the need to test it out immediately.

It's like ripples in a pond of douche, but since I still go, I end up smelling of vinegar, too, I guess.

Nathan_Bell
07-14-10, 13:26

Yes, you can. Just have to be patient with the guys who come back and show you the $8 sling that is "just as good as" the VCAS that he was eyeballing the first trip by.

SteyrAUG
07-14-10, 13:53

Given some of the retards in attendance. I sorta understand why. I'm often stunned by the level of muzzle sweeping in the parking lot as all the morons lock and load before leaving.

Only about 20% point the weapon at the deck when they load it.

DTHN2LGS
07-14-10, 14:02
Ammo, reloading stuff, and books are about all I get at gunshows anymore.

MarshallDodge
07-14-10, 15:13
Three gun shows in the last five years for me and have had some success. It only cost $5 to get in and while most of the sellers put a bad taste in my mouth there is a sprinkling of deals to be found. A lot of the sellers seem like they don't really care whether or not they sell anything.

Most of the good deals I have found are accessories or reloading equipment, typically in excellent condition yet 50% less than new.

There was one instance that I lost my temper with a seller when he berated my 10 year old son for asking how much a gun was. He was looking for a hole to crawl in when I was finished. :fie:

chadbag
07-14-10, 15:16
Three gun shows in the last five years for me and have had some success. It only cost $5 to get in and while most of the sellers put a bad taste in my mouth there is a sprinkling of deals to be found. A lot of the sellers seem like they don't really care whether or not they sell anything.

M

Which show is this? Crossroads, even with coupon, is more than $5. Is this the gun collectors association one that is I think once a year?

Boss Hogg
07-14-10, 22:37

Screw the jerky- I want to know about the Beenie Babies.

I have managed to get some interesting deals, mainly through dealing with Dark Sun Surplus- a Yugo RPK in great shape was one. I know you VA guys love them LOL

Belmont31R
07-14-10, 22:48
I go a few times a year just as something to do.

The ones I go to are around Dallas, and lots of gangster types in there....the other half is usually old, fat, and/or haven't bathed in months.

Everything I need can be bought online, and if I need a transfer I have a C3 dealer 5 minutes from my house who only charges 20 bucks. Beats 30 dollars in gas, 20 bucks in entry fees (wife and kids too), 3hr drive each way, etc.

And yes most of the shit there is either shit to begin with or overpriced shit. I get sick of row after row of garbage products with the people trying to sell their shit look bored out of their skulls. Should be called a garage sale/Made in China Show. Maybe 5 booths out of the whole show will have anything worth looking at, and 3 of those are the big pistol dealers which brings me back to half the show being the gangster type. They crowd around the big pistol sellers talking in street talk/ebonics, asking if they have to have a background check, etc.

Really pathetic....

vaglocker
07-15-10, 07:20
Screw the jerky- I want to know about the Beenie Babies.

I have managed to get some interesting deals, mainly through dealing with Dark Sun Surplus- a Yugo RPK in great shape was one. I know you VA guys love them LOL

I happen to like Dark Sun myself. I've heard that some people have had bad experiences with them, but for myself I like the no BS attitude that I've received.

subzero
07-15-10, 08:49
I go to most of the local shows, but I can't pretend it's ever with the intent to buy anything. Most of the time it's justa pretense to get out of the house, do something gun related and maybe if I'm superlucky I'll find something worth spending money on. I've been to more than one show with a stack of hundreds burning a hole in my pocket and didn't spend a dime.

I did get my first M&P for 409 and an Arsenal SLR105 for 429 at the same show once, so I'm always hopeful those kinds of deals will be around. (That's why I hit the Dark Sun table as soon as I walk in the door, VA people)

Jesus. I could go the rest of my life without hearing that sound. I'd rather listen to a vuvuzela symphony. Maybe I should take one to the next show and answer his zapping sound with the subtle BZZZZZ of a vuvuzela blast.

ETA: damn good ammo prices, IG. I wouldn't mind finding a similar deal here.

JSantoro
07-15-10, 09:46
I'll echo previous commentary about the willy-nilly laser emissions, too. I haven't gotten to the point that I wear 3-line laser eyewear, but I stay away from that end of the show these days. That's primarily the Dulles shows; I don't see it happening nearly as much at others.

I had a total meltdown on a kid I recognized from one of my laser safety classes in Iraq in 2008, who was flashing people in the face with what was marked as a Class IIIa green laser (god alone knows what it really is, thing looked like somebody built it out of the back of an El Camino).

A Marine Sergeant, ffs.......

MarshallDodge
07-15-10, 10:00
Which show is this? Crossroads, even with coupon, is more than $5. Is this the gun collectors association one that is I think once a year?

Yes, the collectors show at the Weber County facility. I have never been to the Crossroads show so I can't really compare.

tampam4
07-15-10, 10:02
Gunshows still allow M4C members in?:D:eek:

Rider79
07-15-10, 17:27
A girl I went to school with years ago bought one of those things for home protection. I remember a bunch of us were sitting around at her place watching TV and I demonstrated - by repeatedly zapping myself with it - that it does nothing more than make a mild sting.

But when they use them on TV it knocks the guy out for an hour!

Iraqgunz
07-15-10, 20:25
Had the same conversation with Ken Elmore. He pretty much said the same thing. There are literally boatloads of morons who will buy endless amounts of Chinese crap and won't spend money on quality stuff.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
07-15-10, 21:42
Read the sign:nono:

usmcvet
07-16-10, 10:12
I'm glad it's not just me. I used to love going to gun shows too. We do not have too many here in my area. I brought my seven year old the first day of the Barre Fish and Game Club Gun Show in February. He had fun. It was asshole to elbow in there, not my idea of fun. I bought him an FAL bayonet, a nice folding knife, Marble Pin on Compass and a antler necklace. He was pretty excited about the whole thing. Shortly after returning home my boy figured out he could stick his new bayonet on the ent of an old mop handle and make a spear! :lol:

It was only six bucks and another dollar for my son. Parking was free. If we go next year it will be on Sunday morning not Saturday morning. The beef jerkey and stun gun crowd has not made it here yet but as with most things we tend to be ten to 20 years behind. Meth is just starting to show up.:mad:

The only attention paid to weapons are those uncased and carried, they are all inspected and marked clear at the door.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
07-16-10, 10:21
I don't know what it is with some dealers at gun shows but some seem to have a chip on their shoulder and can be a real ass hole. Years ago I used to be a dealer but let it go back in the late 90's when the economy started to suck.