PDA

View Full Version : Texas misspelled on my SBR lower! ***UPDATE: Ident is making it right***

RedSS2331
07-13-10, 23:45
Well, I just got my Noveske SBR lower back from Ident Marking today. It looked ok at first glance, but then I noticed that Texas is spelled "Teaxas."

I'm so freaking pissed right now. What problems is their error going to cause for me? I definately want my $57 USD refunded immediately. I feel that Ident Marking should also pay for the lower and tax stamp, so that I can have a correct error-free SBR lower, which is what I had before their little goof up. Is that asking too much?

What should my next steps be? I will be calling Ident Marking in the morning. Do I need to contact the ATF?

Thanks guys.

***Update***

I just got a call from Jason at Ident Marking. He was very apologetic and offered to make things right in any way I saw fit, to include reimbursing the cost of a new Noveske lower and the tax stamp.

I chose to just have the error welded/filled in and then correctly engraved. Jason seemed confident that they could fix the error in this manner with no damage being done to the lower. He provided me with Ident's UPS account number and I will be sending them the lower back later today.

Lessons learned:

- Engrave before Form 1
- Accidents happen. If Ident Marking happens to make the error, they will make it right for you.

thopkins22
07-14-10, 00:02
What you should have done is read ScottyRyan's thread on how to SBR and had the lower engraved before you filled out the paperwork and paid the ATF.

As someone who is getting ready to have it done(and had questioned the necessity of that particular step,) I appreciate you sharing your experience.

No clue beyond that. Though I'd definitely be calling the ATF because you(the manufacturer,) don't live in Teaxas.

RancidSumo
07-14-10, 00:14
As a general rule, its preferred that you contact the company and give them a chance to resolve it prior to posting the issue on here for everyone to see.

RedSS2331
07-14-10, 00:16
The fact that I ignored the recommendation to engrave before registering was the first thing to cross my mind. :(

Hopefully others don't make the same mistake.

RedSS2331
07-14-10, 00:32
As a general rule, its preferred that you contact the company and give them a chance to resolve it prior to posting the issue on here for everyone to see.

Point taken. I appologize if I violated any site policy.

There was no mal intent. My reason for posting was to get reader recommendations on how to proceed as I am unsure.

Lock/delete the thread if necessary.

Iraqgunz
07-14-10, 01:21
I would contact them and explain the importance of the markings and ask what they plan on doing. I would also call the NFA branch and ask them what can be done. They may say that it is not an issue.

Point taken. I appologize if I violated any site policy.

There was no mal intent. My reason for posting was to get reader recommendations on how to proceed as I am unsure.

Lock/delete the thread if necessary.

hellbound
07-14-10, 07:21
assuming you did not make the SBR yet, you can cancel the approved stamp and receive a refund of the tax paid from the ATF.

at the very least i would want the $56 refunded ASAP.
I would also want the price of the lower and FFL fees refunded.

to save you the hassle of waiting another 3-4 months and requesting a refund. they could probably cover the TEAXAS with some other engraving, like a silhouette of a bullet, and then just throw TX under the SPRING.

kry226
07-14-10, 07:56
They engraved my lower and did an outstanding job.

Knowing those guys, I am absolutely sure that they will understand the seriousness of the issue (they are big-time NFA guys) and will do everything necessary to make it right. I know that one of their main engravers recently broke a few fingers in the shop and they've had to move others over to take up the slack.

That being said, there's no excuse for misspelling anything on an NFA item, especially Texas, especially since they are in Texas.

Discuss this with them and I bet they make it right.

99HMC4
07-14-10, 08:34
WHy the hell would you even consider canceling your stamp over something like this? I had the same (well close) thing happen to my Noveske lower, the engraver engraved my name crooked. Since Im a refinisher I just filled the bad engraving, had it redone by someone else (no I do them myself with laser) and them refinished my upper and lower together. I would call them them and make them fix it. If the y wont and you dont want to fix it then you will have to cancel your form 1 and get a new lower....

Boss Hogg
07-14-10, 10:57
I'd be pissed. It's Texas- not as hard to spell as Massachusetts or Mississippi

Kinda ghetto......but what if you just had CITY, TX engraved as a third line? Legally accepted abbreviations are fine..... INC, TR (trust), TX, etc

RedSS2331
07-14-10, 11:17
***Update***

I just got a call from Jason at Ident Marking. He was very apologetic and offered to make things right in any way I saw fit, to include reimbursing the cost of a new Noveske lower and the tax stamp.

I chose to just have the error welded/filled in and then correctly engraved. Jason seemed confident that they could fix the error in this manner with no damage being done to the lower. He provided me with Ident's UPS account number and I will be sending them the lower back later today.

Lessons learned:

- Engrave before Form 1
- Accidents happen. If Ident Marking happens to make the error, they will make it right for you.

SuicideHz
07-14-10, 11:24
WHy the hell would you even consider canceling your stamp over something like this? I had the same (well close) thing happen to my Noveske lower, the engraver engraved my name crooked. Since Im a refinisher I just filled the bad engraving, had it redone by someone else (no I do them myself with laser) and them refinished my upper and lower together. I would call them them and make them fix it. If the y wont and you dont want to fix it then you will have to cancel your form 1 and get a new lower....

DEEP enough laser?

kry226
07-14-10, 11:56
***Update***

Lessons learned:

- Engrave before Form 1

I was expecting them to offer to replace the lower, but didn't want to put words in their mouth. Jason is a good dude. Glad they're making it right. And I wouldn't worry about their work this next go around, I bet it comes out fine.

By the way, I'd like to take one of their cans out for a test run too.

99HMC4
07-14-10, 17:13
DEEP enough laser?

.003" isnt that hard to get.....

markm
07-14-10, 17:36
If it were me, I'd ignore it.

The ATF would have to have a reason to want to shaft you for that to be an issue. I know there's a lot of people who were beaten senseless for coloring outside of the lines when they were kids. And they'll tell you to get it fixed, but I wouldn't care.

There are no examples of people getting into legal troubles for nit picky shit like this.

m249saw
07-14-10, 18:47
Ident is a fine company and did a great job with my lower. a shout out to Gordon Youle for being super helpful.

SC-Texas
07-14-10, 20:16
Jason at Ident Marking is one of two people that I trust to send my trust clients to for engraving.

Jason made it right and that is what counts. Shit happens . . . . what counts is what Jason does and in this case . . . to correct the mistake.

M4arc
07-14-10, 20:53
I never thought of having my lowers engraved before sending my paperwork to the ATF so I definitely learned something here!

OP, please let us know how the repair turns out.

eternal24k
07-14-10, 21:57
wow, I usually send them both together, might re-think that now :eek:

ETA,
post pics when you get it back, I am interested to see the "welding"

RedSS2331
07-14-10, 23:41
I never thought of having my lowers engraved before sending my paperwork to the ATF so I definitely learned something here!

OP, please let us know how the repair turns out.

10-4. I'll post pics when I get it back.

The lower was shipped back to Ident today, so it should only be a week or two.

bkb0000
07-15-10, 00:06
***Update***

Lessons learned:

- Engrave before Form 1

i'm impressed. that's the right thing to do, and very few would have done it.