PDA

View Full Version : Training ammo

Mojo58
06-10-07, 19:07
So I bought the Mossberg 590A1 with the Ghost Ring sights, 18.5" barrel. What do you guys recommend for training ammo? I picked up some 2 3/4" rifled slugs, 000 buckshot and #6 at the salesperson's recommendation. Surprisingly they were out of 00 buckshot. Any advice you can offer is appreciated. I checking on any combat shotgun oriented training in my area. It's a whole new world to me and I'm pretty jazzed about it.

ST911
06-10-07, 20:19
So I bought the Mossberg 590A1 with the Ghost Ring sights, 18.5" barrel. What do you guys recommend for training ammo? I picked up some 2 3/4" rifled slugs, 000 buckshot and #6 at the salesperson's recommendation. Surprisingly they were out of 00 buckshot. Any advice you can offer is appreciated. I checking on any combat shotgun oriented training in my area. It's a whole new world to me and I'm pretty jazzed about it.

Depends on what the training entails. I have several 590A1s, and prefer the Federal Tactical tru-ball 1oz slug, the 9-pellet 00B with flite control wad, and whatever 7.5 or 8 birdshot is the lowest bid (no preference).

Mojo58
06-13-07, 03:33
I've heard about Brenneke defense loads with a 1 oz. slug. Any info on this? If I want to shoot alot to become familiar with handling the recoil of the 12 gauge in quick & dirty fighting, is there anything you'd suggest for my purposes?

carshooter
06-13-07, 12:37
If you're only using pump guns, I like Remington's reduced recoil 8 pellet 00 Buckshot load and their reduced recoil slug load.

Federal also offers similar reduced recoil loads.

FJB
06-13-07, 22:30
Mojo,
you need to pattern your 12ga with different types of 00B at 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards to see which brand works best for your 590. Every shotgun patterns differently and will prefer a certain brand of 00B regardless of the shotgun type or manufacturer. Ideally your shotgun will hold a 15" group out to 25 yards, often this can only be done with a VangComp barrel. Occassionally a factory gun can perform to that level but it is very rare. Most commonly a shotgun will only pattern 15" at 15 yards.

If you have ghost ring sights, zero your shotgun with slugs at 25yards, as that will give you a +or- 2" flat trajectory out to 120 yards or so.

As mentioned Brenneke slugs are probably the best, but most slugs are more than adequate on two legged critters out to 150 yards (well past legally justified distances in most circumstances). 2 3/4" 12ga (3/4" diameter) 1oz (437grs) slugs moving at 1600fps make pretty impressive large permanent wound channels. That said there have been reported incidents when an individual has been center punched with a slug and conversed with police and EMTs all the way to the hospital. Nothing is a "sure thing."

S/F

S/F

Mojo58
06-14-07, 02:11
Thanks for the direction FJB. I will check out different brands and go from there.

Bonk2029
06-18-07, 12:49
If you're only using pump guns, I like Remington's reduced recoil 8 pellet 00 Buckshot load and their reduced recoil slug load.

Federal also offers similar reduced recoil loads.

I've got close to 300 rounds of each through my 590A1, good stuff. I also patterned it with Federal Tactical, Speer Lawman, and Hornady LE buckshot (00 buck in all cases), and it was too close to tell any difference.

I got a heck of a deal on it from Kiesler's, something like $1.50/box at case price.

toddackerman
07-23-07, 01:08
I train with Heavy (3 Dram Equivalent) 7 1/2 Bird Shot Loads. The recoil is about the same as the Light Tactical 00 Buck Load by Federal that I use for defense.

As far as Slugs go....find the cheapest for practice at places like Walmart. I just bought 5 boxes of Winchester 00 Buck at Walmart for $2.50 per box. They perform very well and I never miss a Head Shot within 25 yards standing.
I can also hit head shots at 50 yds. in a prone position.

Because I think the Shotgun is a CQB weapon (Inside 25 yds.), I fire about 80% of my shots using the Heavy 7 1/2 Bird Shot, and 20% slugs.

Tack