PDA

View Full Version : Question About Chrome Lining Barrels...

SteyrAUG
07-14-10, 00:37
Can a gunsmith chrome line a barrel on a gun that is already manufactured? Or does this need to be done during the manufacturing process of the barrel?

And if it can be done, are there any drawbacks to doing so beyond the few limitations (accuracy, etc.) of a chrome lined barrel?

And if not, who is the best person to do this sort of work?

I'm grabbing some of those cheap CAI Bulgarian 74s, and I plan to feed them military (corrosive) ammo exclusively so I'd prefer to chrome line the barrel if possible.

rob_s
07-14-10, 05:31
Chrome has a thickness. If you chrome-line a barrel after the fact you'll constrict the bore. Even if it was possible to do.

perna
07-14-10, 05:42
I thought all barrels were chromed after?

rob_s
07-14-10, 06:35
I thought all barrels were chromed after?

After what?

Chrome-lined barrels have a slightly larger bore before chroming to account for the thickness of the chrome.

TOrrock
07-14-10, 07:10
Short answer Steyr is no. As Rob said, the barrel needs to be manufactured with the intention of being chromed.

Those POS AK-74's are cheap for a reason.

SteyrAUG
07-14-10, 11:11
Short answer Steyr is no. As Rob said, the barrel needs to be manufactured with the intention of being chromed.

Those POS AK-74's are cheap for a reason.

I wondered about the diameter issue as well.

I'll make due. I'm basically grabbing some for "beater guns."

chadbag
07-14-10, 12:24
Is there another barrel treatment that could theoretically be done (theoretically since due to cost it may not be worth it)?

Just wondering

Chad
not a metals guy

Thomas M-4
07-14-10, 12:31
Is there another barrel treatment that could theoretically be done (theoretically since due to cost it may not be worth it)?

Just wondering

Chad
not a metals guy

Nitrating should theoretically be better than chrome lining.
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/salt-bath-nitriding-for-barrels-whidden-is-impressed/
How it works with corrosive ammo :confused: I don't know?

I have been contemplating having a POF hammer forged G-3 barrel treated.

SteyrAUG
07-14-10, 13:15
Nitrating should theoretically be better than chrome lining.
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/salt-bath-nitriding-for-barrels-whidden-is-impressed/
How it works with corrosive ammo :confused: I don't know?

I have been contemplating having a POF hammer forged G-3 barrel treated.

That might be the ticket. Looks like $100 for one barrel and $60 for additional barrels.

Thomas M-4
07-14-10, 13:30
That might be the ticket. Looks like $100 for one barrel and $60 for additional barrels.

Per previous post I haven't tried it yet and was contemplating the use of it on the POF barrel. Only for the corrosion resistance and the promise of longer barrel life.

Probably no better way to test it out then on a 5.45 corrosive beater rifle:happy:

Thomas M-4
07-21-10, 18:06
Seems there is another process other than QPQ salt bath called Nitreg-ONC . http://www.nitrex.com/english/metal_technologies.htm#nitregonct

Can anybody explain the difference to me is the Nitrex ONC the preferred method? Any info would be :cool: