PDA

View Full Version : Man robbed at gun point for his AR-15 at shooting range.

variablebinary
07-14-10, 10:35
See how easy it is to get caught sleepin'.

Scumbags are always looking for a victim. You should always be looking to not be victim.

http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2010/july/13/ohio-man-charged-with-robbery-after-semiautomatic-stickup.html

Ohio man charged with robbery after semiautomatic stickup

By: Eric PooleCalkins Media
Tuesday July 13, 2010 08:35 PM

NORTH BEAVER TWP. — Pennsylvania State Police say a Youngstown, Ohio, man used a handgun to steal an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle from another Ohio man in March at a gun range in Mahoning Township.

After waiving extradition proceedings more than three months after his arrest in the robbery, Ricky D. Williams, 19, of 2686 Eddie St., Youngstown, faced District Judge Jennifer Nicholson of North Beaver Township on Friday for an arraignment hearing on charges of robbery, theft and making terroristic threats. Nicholson placed Williams in the Lawrence County Jail on $30,000 bond.

According to Ohio court documents, Williams had been held in the Mahoning County Jail in Ohio from May 4 until earlier this month on a weapons charge. He was released to the custody of Lawrence County officials after he agreed to not fight extradition to Pennsylvania.

According to documents filed with Nicholson’s office, Andrew Michael Austalosh, 19, of Campbell, Ohio, was using the AR-15 for target shooting around 3:30 p.m. March 21 at a gun range near Eskine Quarry Road in Mahoning Township, when Williams and two other men approached him.

Austalosh and Anthony Patrick Nicolaou, who owns the rifle, were at the range with a third friend, Drew Janek.

After Williams and his two friends talked with Austalosh, Nicolaou and Janek for a short time, police said, Janek and Nicolaou went downrange to move some targets and Williams went to his vehicle.

When Williams returned, he produced a handgun, put it to Austalosh’s head and demanded the military-style rifle, police said. Williams also reportedly took multiple clips of ammunition, and Austalosh’s cell phone and car keys.

The following day around 4:20 p.m., Youngstown police apprehended Williams and recovered the stolen AR-15 and ammunition, along with a handgun, later reported to be stolen.

Nicolaou was able to identify Williams from a photo lineup, according to the court documents.

State police said they expect to arrest two additional suspects believed to have been with Williams during the robbery. Police did not say why it has taken so long to charge the other two.

dbrowne1
07-14-10, 12:18
This is more common than people think, and a good demonstration that:

1. There is a reason why insurance companies make you pay an arm and a leg to separately insure your guns in your homeowners/renters policy - they're a huge theft risk because criminals want them more than your TV or your jewelry.

2. You should avoid public/uncontrolled access shooting facilities. If you have to use them, never turn your back on the point(s) of ingress, and be suspicious of anyone that comes in.

3. You should carry concealed when you're at the range, regardless of what you're there to do.

Irish
07-14-10, 12:29
We do a lot of shooting out in the desert and I'm always very wary about who else is around. One of the precautions I use is to never have my sidearm or AR run dry and not have a full magazine in the well at all times.

ST911
07-14-10, 12:37

2. You should avoid public/uncontrolled access shooting facilities. If you have to use them, never turn your back on the point(s) of ingress, and be suspicious of anyone that comes in.

3. You should carry concealed when you're at the range, regardless of what you're there to do.

We do a lot of shooting out in the desert and I'm always very wary about who else is around. One of the precautions I use is to never have my sidearm or AR run dry and not have a full magazine in the well at all times.

Good advice there.

Adding...

Don't lay out all your guns and ammo on the tailgate, bench, etc. Shoot what you're using, put it away, and retrieve something else. No need for anyone else to see you have multiple guns and hundreds of rounds. Be a single guy with a single pistol/rifle/shotgun.

Oscar 319
07-14-10, 12:45

Yep. Same here.

IrishDevil
07-14-10, 14:14
This is why I carry at the range even though it's "against the rules". Only UNIFORMED LEO's are allowed to carry at the local range, how stupid is that? I also abide by the thought of only having one firearm in the open at any time. A few friends I shoot with have asked me why I carry my rifle downrange to check/tape targets, the answer is " in case somebody needs shootin'."

As of late I've moved to a semi-private venue to shoot, and I'm much more comfortable.

dbrowne1
07-14-10, 14:22
This is why I carry at the range even though it's "against the rules". Only UNIFORMED LEO's are allowed to carry at the local range, how stupid is that?

Yes, it's a stupid rule. It's a gun club, where people handle loaded guns as an integral part and purpose of the club. Not much you can do other than keep your mouth shut.

My club used to have rules that, if read literally, would have prohibited concealed carry. Eventually it was clarified in the "official" rules to allow concealed carry so long as the carry gun stayed put and wasn't handled, but even before the official rule change, the club officers pretty much told people to conceal it, don't handle it, and there wouldn't be any issues. I'm fine with that rule.

one
07-14-10, 14:32
This is the second item I've seen online this past couple months regarding someone with an open carry, or in this case openly used, firearm that has been robbed of their gun.

Yet I still see people on forums adamantly advocating open carry as such a big deterent of crime.

I am really sorry that the guy had to go through this but I hope incidents like this start to open up the eyes of some of the idiots of the internet.

chadbag
07-14-10, 14:34
I only shoot out in the desert and without others around. If someone else shows up I move on to a different location.

dbrowne1
07-14-10, 15:00
This is the second item I've seen online this past couple months regarding someone with an open carry, or in this case openly used, firearm that has been robbed of their gun.

Yet I still see people on forums adamantly advocating open carry as such a big deterent of crime.

I am really sorry that the guy had to go through this but I hope incidents like this start to open up the eyes of some of the idiots of the internet.

I don't open carry for any number of reasons, but this isn't really an "open carry" issue. If you actually read the article, it sounds like the shitbags showed up and talked to the victims, lulled them into a false sense of security, then waited for the victims to go downrange (presumably leaving the rifle there at the firing line) before springing into action.

They might as well have robbed the victims for their wallets, their car, or anything else. The rifle was an inaccessible paperweight in this scenario. Not really the same as somebody openly carrying a loaded handgun on his person.

one
07-14-10, 17:15
And I fully understand your point. But my meaning is that criminals today don't adhere to any fear over a display of any weapon as a rule. Whether the AR was in the owners hands or not it was still in his presence when it was taken.

SteyrAUG
07-14-10, 17:51
Yep, that bugged me about some of the clubs I shoot with.

Nothing like being required to walk out into the parking lot at night with unloaded firearms and a $20k MP5 in the case.

And if I'm at any kind of uncontrolled public range, no way in hell I'm not keeping a loaded handgun on my hip.

QuickStrike
07-14-10, 18:04

1. There is a reason why insurance companies make you pay an arm and a leg to separately insure your guns in your homeowners/renters policy - they're a huge theft risk because criminals want them more than your TV or your jewelry.

Good points. And also:

4. Try to go with someone else. Preferably someone with decent situation awareness.

SeriousStudent
07-14-10, 19:36
I always have a J-frame in my left front pants pocket. Nothing like dropping your "weak" hand into a pocket when Billy Bob waddles over and announces he'd "like to shoot yor new machine gun!". :rolleyes:

There's always a Colt 20-rounder filled with Hornady 75-grain 5.56 TAP rounds in my back pants pocket. Very unobtrusive, but easy to load.

And I'm usually shooting at a range out in the country with a buddy that is also a former Marine grunt. While I'm shooting, he's got a loaded slung AR. When he's shooting, my loaded AR is slung.

But we are just a couple of friendly old farts enjoying a day at the range. ;)

And the Bag of Evil is never far away. :D

Macx
07-14-10, 22:55
Wow, that is out there a ways. Looks like it happened at Gamelands 137 (if I had to guess). I used to shoot at #203, about 30 miles closer to Pittsburgh . . . at #203 there were always enough thugsters to keep a person wary & when I first read the story I was afraid it was at my old range. A good reminder that the bad guys are going out in the country too.

Jer
07-15-10, 11:17

Beat me to the punch. A few years back there were a couple young men who were shooting out at the local grasslands which I commonly refer to as the 'Wild Wild West' because it's pretty sketchy. A guy or few guys waited until they were done shooting their rifles, walked over, shot them both and took all their guns and valuables. Be smart when you're shooting, ALWAYS carry concealed with defensive ammo and be aware of your situation the entire time. This is quite a bit more common than you may think.

Rider79
07-15-10, 12:13

Same here.

Belmont31R
07-15-10, 12:22
I once had some old POS car full of gangsta types pull into the range parking lot, and backed into a spot so they had a full view of the rifle range. I was by myself with no one else at the range. I carry a pistol there every time I go, and was looking back every 10-15 seconds until they left. They never got out of the car...just backed into the spot and sat there. Edit- there were other shooters and people there just not on the rifle range. 3 other bays there.

You also need to watch for them because they do follow people home, and then rob your place while you are not there.

Moose-Knuckle
07-18-10, 01:49
This is a great thread and all can learn from this. Like others, I carry concealed at the range for this very reason. My G19 is always ready to rock, also I have slings on my rifles so when I go to check / change targets my rifle goes with me.

Caeser25
07-18-10, 07:42
One more reason to join a club or buy some property. I always carry, be it open or concealed and sling my rilfe on my back when headed downrange. I find it absolutely stunning that some clubs have rules against a properly holstered and loaded sidearm.

Safetyhit
07-18-10, 14:12
A guy or few guys waited until they were done shooting their rifles, walked over, shot them both and took all their guns and valuables.

Damn, this is a rather nauseating thought. I guess there is one good aspect of having all private clubs in here NJ. Although we are especially vulnerable while leaving, as no one can have ammo near (let alone in) their firearms while exiting the premises.

Very interesting thread, really makes one think.

Rider79
07-18-10, 19:10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

On 5 October 1985, Platt and Matix murdered 25 year-old Emelio Briel while he was target shooting at a rock pit. The pair stole Briel's car and used it to commit several robberies. Briel's remains were found on 1 March 1986 but were not positively identified until May 1986.

On 12 March 1986, Platt and Matix robbed and shot Jose Collazo while Collazo was target shooting at a rock pit. The pair left Collazo for dead and stole his car, a black 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Collazo survived the shooting and walked three miles to get help.

Lumpy196
07-18-10, 19:37
He was just trying to introduce the boy to "black rifle disease" and show off his toy at the same time.

GermanSynergy
07-19-10, 20:06
This is another reason I no longer go to public shooting ranges (with the notable exception of the NRA Range- great facility).

The scumbag/unsafe shooter/sanctimonious fudd ratio is too high for my tastes.

tracker722
07-19-10, 20:50

Ned Christiansen
07-20-10, 00:17
Sanctimonious Fudd.

Did you just make that up, or has it been out for a while and I missed it?

Either way, it is precious! Kinda says a hundred things in two simple to understand words.... thanks!

Belmont31R
07-20-10, 00:30
One of the rules I have taught all my kids and have passed on to all the officers I have trained...NEVER shoot all the ammo you take to the range with you. Keep some for the ride back back home, you never know what will happen.

Teach them to carry a loaded gun like a CCW at all times, and that is always seperate from range guns/ammo.

When I pull up to the range I am looking at the other people there to see how safe they are, the demeanor they let off, what guns they are shooting, etc. Im not afraid to say something to someone if they are not being safe, and if they don't listen I go to the range staff. Some ranges have RO's on the line at all times that keep tabs on people but the main range I go to does not. Ive marched over to to range office to get them to do something more than once.

If shady people are there I keep a close eye on them, and I check out the parking lot. Like I mentioned earlier I once had the car full of ghetto thugs pull into the lot, back, and sit in the car for a good while. I kept an eye on them, and if they'd had gone up to the range I would not have turned my back on them, left guns unattended, etc.

All in all this is why my wife and I are preparing by saving to buy our own land that we can do what we want on. Right now I live in a place where our neighbor is 15 ft away....Id gladly buy land I can shoot on with no range nazis, idiots, and thugs looking for a quick score.

GermanSynergy
07-20-10, 08:07
Sanctimonious Fudd.

Did you just make that up, or has it been out for a while and I missed it?

Either way, it is precious! Kinda says a hundred things in two simple to understand words.... thanks!

Ned,
I believe I'm the first to coin that term :dance3:

It came to mind while I was reading this post, as well as my own personal experiences with them on local ranges. You know, the types that make snide comments abour EBR's, are card carrying union members and vote Democrat.

ST911
07-20-10, 11:34
One of the rules I have taught all my kids and have passed on to all the officers I have trained...NEVER shoot all the ammo you take to the range with you. Keep some for the ride back back home, you never know what will happen.

I'm no longer amazed, but remain continually disappointed, at the number of cops that will show up at range event, shoot all their ammo, and get back into their marked units for the drive home with fresh duty ammo still in the boxes.

Fyrhazzrd
07-20-10, 13:13
I'm a little confused here. I don't know about the range he goes to; but the range I go to is always busy. There is no way someone would get away with that on the range I go to. He would find 30 Plus guns aimed in his direction. That would be the dumbest thing a criminal could possibly do.

Jer
07-20-10, 13:16
I'm a little confused here. I don't know about the range he goes to; but the range I go to is always busy. There is no way someone would get away with that on the range I go to. He would find 30 Plus guns aimed in his direction. That would be the dumbest thing a criminal could possibly do.

Not all are that way. Most public ranges (ie... grasslands) are pretty wide open spaces and some days they are packed and some days you're by yourself. It's hit or miss so the point is always be prepared so you don't have to count on others to save you.

tracker722
07-20-10, 16:05