PDA

View Full Version : dd mk18 rail trying to understand m203 or no

motorolahamm
07-14-10, 11:42
trying to understand the rail says it was designed for socom sopmod as a rail for the m203 system but then on the web site states not compatable with the m203

this what the web site state
Description
Daniel Defense is the Sole Source Provider of the RIS II to the United States Special Operations Command!

The Daniel Defense MK18 RIS II is designed to work specifically on the MK18 CQBR!

The Daniel Defense Rail Interface System (RIS II) was designed at the request of the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM) for the SOPMOD II program. SOCOM had a specific requirement for a free float M203 solution and Daniel Defense responded, designing a revolutionary product to meet the government’s need.

The RIS II MK18 is NOT compatible with an M203

streck
07-14-10, 11:54
That is a little confusing.

As I understanding, the RIS II can be used on other upper configurations than just the MK18. With those other systems, the 203 can be used. Only on hte MK18 RISII can the 203 NOT be used.

From the detailed description:

Description

Daniel Defense is the Sole Source Provider of the RIS II to the United States Special Operations Command!

The Daniel Defense MK18 RIS II is designed to work specifically on the MK18 CQBR!

The Daniel Defense Rail Interface System (RIS II) was designed at the request of the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM) for the SOPMOD II program. SOCOM had a specific requirement for a free float M203 solution and Daniel Defense responded, designing a revolutionary product to meet the government’s need.

The RIS II MK18 is NOT compatible with an M203.

The Daniel Defense RIS II is to be used in conjunction with the MK12 Low Profile Gas Block.

The Daniel Defense RIS II free-floating Picatinny rail systems are designed to allow individual operator to quickly, and without special tools, mount M203 Grenade Launcher and precisely mount SOPMOD accessories to host weapon without effecting point of impact.

The Daniel Defense RIS II is an innovative upgrade to the M4 platform and is available for commercial purchase directly from Daniel Defense or any authorized distributor.

Stickman
07-14-10, 11:55
The original RIS II contract was for the M4, and a M203 was required. The contract morphed and took on a life of its own, with a series of DD RIS II rails being born. The MK18 version that was requested is not one that will function with the M203.

TehLlama
07-14-10, 20:38
...and since the demand for the GL/SSC seems to have died out, the only real option for that would be the full 12.5" long M4RIS-II (though I really wish they had a reason to make a limited run)

bkb0000
07-14-10, 20:41
then what's the point of having a detachable bottom? they could shave some weight off that ****er by making it one piece.

Belmont31R
07-14-10, 20:44
then what's the point of having a detachable bottom? they could shave some weight off that ****er by making it one piece.

Probably part of the contract requirement.

I think you could still mount a M203 on the MK18 RIS just the rail mount version not the barrel clamp USGI type.

bkb0000
07-14-10, 20:49
I think you could still mount a M203 on the MK18 RIS just the rail mount version not the barrel clamp USGI type.

which is why i've always wondered why they made the detachable bottom, presumably for the clamp model, when the rail-mounts were the new great thing- and the handguard has rails on it.

sounds like a good example of the basic misunderstanding of what's important by the people who make equipment decisions.. instead of going all the way one direction, or the other, you end up with a weird mix of incompatibility, and less effectiveness, with no explanation.

Belmont31R
07-14-10, 21:35
which is why i've always wondered why they made the detachable bottom, presumably for the clamp model, when the rail-mounts were the new great thing- and the handguard has rails on it.

sounds like a good example of the basic misunderstanding of what's important by the people who make equipment decisions.. instead of going all the way one direction, or the other, you end up with a weird mix of incompatibility, and less effectiveness, with no explanation.

I actually like removable bottom rails simply so I can put an oily rag on the barrel after shooting to keep rust from forming. I know in our arms room in Germany shit had to be heavily oiled otherwise there would be rust spots all over everything. Just too damp in there...

Here in central TX I had a stainless barrel start getting rust spots on it, and I had to disassemble the rail to get to the barrel. I imagine dealing with large unit logistics its easier to just require a removable bottom rail than having to have an armorer take apart every weapon every time they start rusting.

az doug
07-14-10, 23:31
If the rail has a removable bottom it will work with the M-203 that clamps to the barrel, if the barrel is long enough, is of the correct diameter where the barrel clamps...

My understanding is that the Mk 18 barrel is too short for a barrel clamp M-203.

motorolahamm
07-16-10, 10:52
Hey thanks guys

pezboy
07-19-10, 10:49
If the rail has a removable bottom it will work with the M-203 that clamps to the barrel, if the barrel is long enough, is of the correct diameter where the barrel clamps...

My understanding is that the Mk 18 barrel is too short for a barrel clamp M-203.

I'm not sure if it will or not. It depends if it will clear the front part of the rail that goes around the barrel. The M4 front handguard cap has cutouts so the M203 doesn't hit it.
Dustin