PDA

View Full Version : If I have a G19, G23, and G27...

kerplode
07-14-10, 17:26
Is there any benefit to getting a G26 as well?

I've been considering picking one up for a while, but lately I'm starting to think that a G26 wouldn't really bring any additional capability to the party over what I have now. The G19 carries well and has more capacity, the G27 works pretty well as a backup or smaller CCW, and I can go with the G23/G27 combo if I wanted a primary/backup carry combo that had common mags/ammo. And for really deep concealment, there's always the P3AT.

The collector part of me still wants the G26, but at this stage of the game I wonder if that $600 would be better spent replacing my AK Irondot with an H-1/Ultimak combo and getting that rifle more set up for serious use...

Any thoughts?

gtmtnbiker98
07-14-10, 17:30
IMO, it would be redundant and if you must be redundant, then pick up a second of you primary choice. How about some ammo and training with that $600?

JeffWard
07-14-10, 17:34
I'd never tell anyone NOT to buy a gun... BUT I'm also a "gun for every job/situation" person. I never own two guns in the same roll. Seems you have all bases covered with what you have, and the new gun would only fill out the matching set... No other purpose.

I'd spend the money somewhere else to fill a gap, not to buy a back-up.

I also think optics on an AK is like a spoiler on the back of a Civic.... But that's just me! LOL

Jeff

blackboar
07-14-10, 17:54
It seems kinda redundant, but then again, I just picked up a new G26 and am tickled pink by it. :D

For me, I prefer to stick to 1 main handgun type/caliber and just practice more with it. However, if the main reason for you to get the G26 is to finish the matching set, then by all means. Having your go-to gun and carry gun in the same caliber and training with it exclusively is one thing; having a gun to be part of your collection is something entirely different. I have friends that collect the entire line of guns from one manufacturer and also have friends that collect different guns with different calibers. But in the end, they should all choose and stick with one gun/caliber combination as their work horses and the rest should be fun/safe queen roles.

SWATcop556
07-14-10, 18:52
Having a backup to your primary is never a bad idea. I have three G19's, two G17's, and two G26's. I have the additional G19 for the wife.

Use one for training and one for carry. If one goes down you have an immediate replacement. This is especially helpful in a training class that is not in your home area and you don't have access to a backup.

ilsrwy27
07-14-10, 20:05
Actually if you like and carry the G19 I would buy a second one as a backup / training gun. Then, if you like and want to carry the G26 too I would buy two G26 and sell the other ones. Or you could buy just a single G27 instead of two G26, but I like to stick with one caliber. YMMV.

kerplode
07-15-10, 14:25
Thanks for the input...I appreciate it! I never considered getting a backup G19, but that just may be the way to go. I'll probably hang on to the G23 and G27 because it's nice to have an analog to the G19 in 40 in case there's a shortage of 9mm again. The G27 fills a roll and probably wouldn't bring much cash in a sale, to it stays too.

How about some ammo and training with that $600?
I have a good deal of ammo stashed away, so I think I'm good there. I generally add a couple boxes a week out of my petty cash. Training is high on my list of things to do, though. Lately it's hard to find the time, but I need to make it a priority and get it done. I'd love to do both a handgun and carbine class. Maybe in the mean time I'll grab the magpul DVDs and watch them a couple times.

I'd never tell anyone NOT to buy a gun... BUT I'm also a "gun for every job/situation" person. I never own two guns in the same roll.

I also think optics on an AK is like a spoiler on the back of a Civic.... But that's just me! LOL
Jeff
I've been moving more toward your way of thinking with regard to each firearm in the collection having a specific role. To that end I've been culling my collection a bit, getting rid of things I don't use and using that cash to fill gaps. I still have some overlap, and a few things I want to keep because they interest me. A couple more things could go if need be, but overall I'm much happier with the state of things now.

I also kind of think optics on AKs aren't quite right, but my eyesight isn't so good and the RDS helps me employ the rifle more effectively. I can still use peep sights pretty well, but all the other long guns have optics. Especially the ones I have for potential serious use.

I think for now, I'll move forward with outfitting the AK. Down the line, I'll look into getting a second G19 and I'll try to fit in some professional training where I can.

Roy
07-15-10, 21:58
im no one to talk someone out of a new gun purchase. But why not a 9mm bbl for the 27?

i just ordered a G19 to back up my G19 but that's me. Im also looking at a 26 for ankle carry.

ST911
07-16-10, 13:31
G19 and a G26 is a logical pairing. May as well pick one up, you'll always get your money out of it if you need to sell.

im no one to talk someone out of a new gun purchase. But why not a 9mm bbl for the 27?

He made need it to function with a high degree of reliability.

bigkracka
07-16-10, 18:41
Sounds redundant, unless you'd rather replace a current Glock with the 26 then use the money for other more pressing matters. Only you can decide.