PDA

View Full Version : Agonizing Decision

FVC3
07-14-10, 19:18
I have been a Glock guy for 20 years. Well, a Glock owner for 20 - a hard-core Glock fan for 15ish. I have or had a 26,27,30,19,23,17, 22, and a 21. I've never been without a 17, 19, and 23.

My only gripe was trigger reach. I've got a very meaty palm and short, thick fingers, but I made do because nothing else offered the total package Glocks did. I will say the 21 didn't last long in my inventory - I really couldn't manipulate it quickly and well.

About a year ago, I picked up an M&P 9c. I bought it because it was a great deal on a local PD T&E gun from GT Distributors - and, well, just because. You all know what I mean.

Like you do any new gun, I shot the piss out of it. I liked it alot - but it wasn't a Glock. As time went by, I found myself choosing to practice with it more and more - but it wasn't as good as a Glock. The small back strap allowed me a perfect trigger finger placement. The mag release was easy to manipulate, even under stress. The gun held 13 rds of 9mm in a package just a tad smaller than my 19. The grip angle did not require breaking my wrist down - but it still wasn't a Glock.

I first noticed that I was carrying the 9c more often than not when I had to go to the safe to get the 19 out to take to the range. Somehow, it wasn't in the gunvault my wife and I keep a small selection of carry guns in near the front door. When was the last time I carried the 19 or the 23? And where the heck was a holster for one? After all, I'm a Glock guy, right?

When I heard about the 4th Gen Glocks, I was very happy. I beat feet to the local gun-pusher to try one. I loved the new mag release, but the trigger reach was still less than optimal. But that was a 17, and my 9c was a little bitty carry piece. I bet a full size M&P wouldn't feel the same. "Garcon! That full size M&P, please....Oh My!....."

For the last 2 weekends, I've gone all scientific. I broke out the PACT timer, loaded craploads of mags, and shot every meaningful drill I know. I shot weak hand, low light, strong hand only, impairment drills, slow fire, from the holster under time - you name it. I did every kind of reload and malf clearance. My worst fears were confirmed. I consistently shot the 9c better than mye larger Glock 19.

I have put the word out. I have a 19, a 22, and a 23 for sale. I'll never sell my 17, but I am replacing the others with a FS 9 and .40 M&P. I may even get a .45.

Anyone else find that even the 4th Gen Glock doesn't quite fit perfectly? Any similar stories?

Mike169
07-14-10, 19:28
Ironically, I'm very seriously considering getting rid of my M&P9 fullsize to get a Gen4 Glock19. It's probably more of boredom than anything, because I can drive tacks with my M&P, but I'm absolutely in love with the feel of the G19..

<shrug> sounds like we're both in the same predicament, you just managed to make your decision faster than I.. lol..

JHC
07-14-10, 19:48
Not really. After 2200 rds through a fine M&P Pro 9 from which I must give the gun it's due, it's a fine pistol . . . I flipped it for a Gen 4 G19 (have quite a little battery of G-locks, all 9mm). But big difference is I've rather long fingers and Glocks of all size have always felt great in my hand and pointed well.

In the end, I preferred the recoil handling characteristic of the Austrian gun and much preferred the trigger, low bore axis, and in the case of the Gen 4 17 and Gen 4 19, exceptional accuracy. After I crested 2K rds with the G4 G17 I was shooting better than any polymer gun and maybe any pistol over a long long time.

But I'd tell anyone that if the well engineered grip and other ergos of the M&P worked well for you, no need to look back. Next dip in the M&P pool for me would more likely be a .40 or .45 mid size me thinks.

varoadking
07-16-10, 20:25
Anyone else find that even the 4th Gen Glock doesn't quite fit perfectly?

No...