PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new 9, but what?

1_click_off
07-14-10, 22:16
I had a G17 about 10 years ago and I traded it and a well used dewalt toolkit for a colt python 357mag 6" bright SS. Not a bad trade.... but I want a 9 again. I have no plans for concealment, just want something that is 10 bucks a box to go plink with again. I am looking at 92FS, G19, G17, XDM 9, PX4 storm. I am looking in that order. Thinking about the 92FS just because I have never owned a double action auto, and it just feels good in the hand. I really want a HK but can't see spending the $ on a 9 in HK.

markm
07-14-10, 22:31
G17.

I liked my 92fs for recreational shooting, but the slide mounted safety was a deal breaker for any serious use.

I like full sized pistols, so the g19 is out for me. The other 2 aren't even in the realm of reality. :D

Biggy
07-14-10, 22:35
I would save up the money and get the H&K if it is what you really want. I would pick the Glock next and then the Beretta. I would forget about the last two. I would also consider the S&W M&P 9mm as an excellent choice.

Chameleox
07-14-10, 22:36
I voted G19.
But definitely G17 and G19 all the way. Can't go wrong.

LOKNLOD
07-14-10, 22:49
I like full sized pistols, so the g19 is out for me.

That's always kind of how I felt, until I got a 19 and started shooting it a lot, and found it to be "easier" to shoot well, even though I had thought the fullsize fit me better...

So I'd recommend whichever of the Glocks you shoot best with, and if at all possible it really needs to be based on actual trigger time and not just the "feel" in the store.

Jerm
07-14-10, 22:50
If it's purely for range fun I'd get the 92(how I voted based on your post and choices).

If there's any chance you'd carry it I'd get the G19...If it may get used for nightstand duty or something similar(but not CC) G17.

I second the M&P as well.It's practical and utilitarian(like the Glocks) but it has better ergos(IMO) and can be much more easily tuned into a high performance shooter.

Mark71
07-14-10, 22:57
Go with either the Glock 19 or 17. Both are excellent choices so get the one that fits you best. Try to find a range where you can rent both.

opmike
07-14-10, 22:57
If this is just going to be a "for fun" gun that doesn't have to be concealable, on a platform that you're already familiar with, etc. I'd have to say the 92FS, or some derivative thereof.

Mine is a dream to shoot, even more so with polished internals and a 92D spring dropped in.

While I don't consider myself a collector, I do plan on keeping my 92FS and 1911 around even though I don't get to the range with them much anymore.

If not that, a Glock 17.

rathos
07-15-10, 02:51
I have started the switch to the M&P platform and getting away from DA/SA guns for duty, but every time I hold a PX4 C version I really want to get one. I like the fact that it has only trigger pull, and doesn't have the horrible safety the DA/SA models do.

Personally I can't stand glocks I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me for free (the county did and I gave it back). I do also like the Beretta 92 but again its DA/SA and the safety placement isn't the best, although its much easier to disengage then the PX4.

The XDM or any other XD is an ok choice, but it has that glock style trigger I can't stand.

I picked the PX4 for the poll, but the 92FS would be a close second.

Good luck!

Surf
07-15-10, 04:18
You only have 2 good choices on your list. Gen4 G17 or Gen4 G19. The rest belong on another list.

Of course there is another list, but it is going to run you a bit more. ;)

variablebinary
07-15-10, 04:24
Out of that list, Glock 17 or 19

If I may add another option, check out the M&P 9mm, which is a real shooter's pistol.

Mr. Goodtimes
07-15-10, 05:58
I voted 92FS IF its just a range toy. I've been carrying a 92FS as a CCW weapon lately because it's all I have and I've found (like many others have said) the slide mounted safety to be less than ideal, and am replacing it with a P30. For a range toy its great. My Italian 92FS shoots ragged holes at 25 yds with Winchester 147gr and has close to no recoil. I fixed the aweful trigger by installing a wolff reduced power main spring.

I would rule out anything XD.

kbrdann
07-15-10, 08:58
Just get the G19 and be done with it.... Its the only pistol you will ever need....:D

sammage
07-15-10, 09:54
Out of that list, Glock 17 or 19

If I may add another option, check out the M&P 9mm, which is a real shooter's pistol.

That's what struck me as missing too. If I had to get rid of my Glock 19, it'd be for an M&P.

streck
07-15-10, 09:59
G17 or 19 for your stated preferences.

1_click_off
07-15-10, 10:07
It will just be a range and safe queen. Pending on the situation I have 3 ccw. G27, kahr pm45, or just to meet the first rule of a gun fight my LCP. The 9 is just for kicks.

1_click_off
07-15-10, 10:10
I will look at the m&p tonight. Just have never been a s&w fan. But have no valid reason to not look at them.

variablebinary
07-15-10, 10:19
I will look at the m&p tonight. Just have never been a s&w fan. But have no valid reason to not look at them.

Neither am I traditionally. However, after spending lots of time with M&P I grew to really appreciate it.

They feel great in the hand, and shoot wonderfully.

1_click_off
07-15-10, 10:31
I would save up the money and get the H&K if it is what you really want. I would pick the Glock next and then the Beretta. I would forget about the last two. I would also consider the S&W M&P 9mm as an excellent choice.

It's not the price of the hk, it's the price of the hk in 9mm. If I was shopping for a 40 or 45 I would have no issue getting the hk. I just have a hard time spending that much on a 9mm reguardless of the brand. Just a mental block I guess.

mkmckinley
07-15-10, 10:40
Of the ones you listed I voted G19. It's just a great all around pistol. If you ever decide you want to get rid of it and get an HK you'll have no problem selling it, and if you get a used one to start with you might not even lose any money. To boot I don't consider the Glock a compromise over the HK. If you set a P2000 and a Glock 19 on the table in front of me and told me I could have one but I'd have to keep it for the rest of my life I'd grab the Glock without hesitation. That said an M&P9 has a few nice features over a Glock in my opinion. Maybe shoot both and see which one you like.

I'm confident in the 9mm cartridge and carry it myself. However if you don't consider 9mm adequate for defense and just want a cheap plinker why not get a .22LR conversion for one of your .4x pistols. That would be even cheaper than 9mm and you could potentially be training with your carry gun. Just a thought. There are a lot of great nines out there.

PrivateCitizen
07-15-10, 10:50
Of your list, G19.

I recently sold off all of my pistols (except an heirloom) and went M&P.

I had the list boiled down to M&P9, G19 and FNX-9.

The FN might also be worth a look if you like that traditional DA/SA setup. I also love the feel of the PX4 but some of the bad press (some here at M4C) had convinced me over the long term it was not a good option.

I am more than happy with the M&P series. It is certainly worth the consideration.

Entropy
07-15-10, 10:57
Glock 9mm. It has proven to be a very reliable, durable, and good performing pistol.

G19, because it is more versitile in my opinion than the G17. It conceals better, the shorter magazines are a little faster on the reload as you index them, the 4" barrel sight radius is faster to align(still retains good shot precision), and the shorter slide means a faster draw. The compact pistol, or 4" barrel pistol is the ideal pistol size in my opinion and I prefer to carry on on-duty as well as off-duty.

John_Wayne777
07-15-10, 12:08
This question comes up a lot, so I would encourage use of the search function as often the previous discussions happened with a great deal of detail.

The short answer is this:

Currently the three best pistols on the market in terms of reliability and durability are:

- 9mm Glocks
- S&W M&P
- H&K P30/HK45

If you are looking for a 9mm pistol to use for serious social purposes and significant training, start looking at one of those three families of weapons. You won't hear many recommendations for the XD because of a particularly dismal track record of performance in serious testing, or the PX4 which Beretta thinks is the correction to a rotary barreled system that performed horribly in the field when they used that system in the Cougar pistol.

Many of us advise 9mm pistols because 9mm is the cheapest to feed, allowing the maximum amount of training per dollar spent...and training matters more in the real thing than an extra little bit of bullet diameter.

We have a very helpful reference thread stickied at the top of the forum that answers a lot of questions:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221

I would encourage everyone wondering what 9mm they should buy to first carefully read through the threads referenced in the stickied thread and then to ask questions based on what they've learned in those threads.