PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove rockset brake????

Dos Cylindros
07-15-10, 14:05
I currently am running an AAC brakeout, but have recently been considering a KAC triple tap. I installed the AAC and used the supplied rockset to mount it up. My question is, what is the most effective and non damaging way to remove a rockset muzzle device. I have not even tried because I don't want to mar anything.

Belmont31R
07-15-10, 14:15
Ive removed them by heating them up with a MAPP torch, and then using an open ended wrench. Takes a little force but they do come off. I just go over the area where the threads would be on all sides for 15-20 seconds with the torch.

I think the "by the book way" with Rocksett is to soak it in water for 24 hours since its water soluble, and then turning it off with a wrench. Ive never done it this way, though. Im not so hot on soaking steel in water for that long.

A barrel vice would be a good idea.

pcf
07-15-10, 15:18
If you didn't go overboard with the rocksett or torque when installing, you should be able to put the barrel in a barrel vice and take the brake off with a wrench (50-60lb-ft of torque). Rocksett is about the same strength as blue loctite.

If that doesn't work, soak it in water overnight. Then try heat. You can also break rocksett, i.e. give the brake a good hit with a hammer, but I would save this as a last resort.

caporider
07-15-10, 15:19
You don't need heat to remove a Rocksett muzzle device. Just wrench the thing off using a barrel vise. Rocksett is actually weaker than blue Loctite, but is much, much more temperature-resistant (hence its use on suppressor mounts).

militarymoron
07-15-10, 16:00
i used rocksett on both an AAC brakeout and blackout, and didn't have any trouble wrenching either off later.

Dos Cylindros
07-15-10, 16:22
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm dumb, because I didn't think to search this before I posted and found my answer right after searching.

Mak8080
07-17-10, 00:24
A barrel vice works great. A torch also worked just as well. Just give it a go w/ a wrench.

markm
07-17-10, 09:04
i used rocksett on both an AAC brakeout and blackout, and didn't have any trouble wrenching either off later.

Same here. Wrench, Vise, no problem.

Jeff Franz
07-19-10, 15:28
Same here. Wrench, Vise, no problem.

Me too. I removed my TT and put it on another upper, and it came off without too much extra force.

JF

mtdawg169
07-19-10, 16:00
Do any of you guys have a suggestion for a vise that will work on an upper with only 3" of exposed barrel? I have a rocksetted mount that I need to remove and I'm afraid I'll screw up the upper rec. if I don't put the barrel in a vise.

Also, are most of you guys using a cheater bar when you wrench these off or just an open end wrench?

I'm thinking about trying to use a 2.75" block of oak (drilled & halved) if I can find one. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing you would find at the local Home Depot. Would this work? Anyone know where to find a solid piece of quality hardwood?

AlanD
07-19-10, 19:25
I tried soaking in water for 24 hours and hitting with a hammer to weaken the bond as both had been recommended and neither worked.

So, with the barrel in a vise I placed a crowbar in the slots and muscled it off. I read it should not have taken that much force, but mine did.