PDA

View Full Version : Underwater chase scene on the Vandenburg

tampam4
07-15-10, 17:22
A couple of friends of mine down in the Keys did this really cool freediving chase scene on the Vandenburg wreck. Awesome video:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU_IF20t2R8

BVickery
07-15-10, 18:55
Awesome vid!

Makes me really wish I had the $$$ to head to the keys for a Vandy trip.

Irish
07-15-10, 19:25
That was really cool! They're like underwater ninjas :ph34r:

jaxman7
07-15-10, 20:40
Matrix H2O! That was awesome man. I loved the scene when the guy takes a 'dive' off the bow.

tampam4
07-15-10, 20:43
here's another amazing video, this time Guillaume Nery "base jumping" Deans blue hole. I actually like this one better, more epic seems to be the correct word. Makes me want to get back on track in freediving so bad:fie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQITWbAaDx0

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
07-15-10, 21:34
I scuba dive but the longest I've held my breath underwater is like 30 sec's. That's freakin amazing.

tampam4
07-15-10, 21:58
I scuba dive but the longest I've held my breath underwater is like 30 sec's. That's freakin amazing.

I used to be a full-time dive instructor, but only did freediving on the side whenever I could. I'm no trubridge, but I've hit triple digits a few times depth wise. Most of it comes down to fitness level and proper breathing. I promise you that I can take anybody off the street, spend two days with him doing no physical fitness, and double his breath hold after two days. Breath holdingis 60% mental, 35% proper breathing and 5% fitness.:cool:

Honu
07-15-10, 22:58
that was cool :)

I was a instructor for 15 years :) mostly on Maui/Lanai and also in the Bay Islands (Utila) and Micronesia

was a huge free diver could hit 100+ and hold 4+ minutes every/any day :) ahhhh to be young and in shape :) hehehehe
so love to watch free diving stuff

we used to go down to Cathedrals off Lanai and free dive it with no fins and run around the inside and such so that movie made me have a huge smile reminded me of my youth

we also used to go down and wear 50 lb weight belts and then climb huge walls which was fun cause you could jump a bit but not to much we would dump the belts when we wanted to go up then dive down and strap them on and start over
mostly on the walls off Lanai is where we did this like Menpachi caves etc..

fun to see other X instructors that enjoy free diving

its truly a way of life in the islands

where did you teach ?

tampam4
07-15-10, 23:07
where did you teach ?

Taught here in Tampa Bay, Florida. Most of my diving (due to work) was certifying new divers here in the shallow springs, and when time allowed, I'd use every minute of spare time to hit the Gulf of Mexico for some spearfishing or hit some of the less-advanced caves. Ahh, I miss that job:(

thopkins22
07-15-10, 23:16
I used to SCUBA dive a whole lot and did a little bit of freediving. The funny thing about it was that holding your breath felt like it got much much easier below forty or fifty feet.

You'd get through the first set of urges to exhale at depth and reach a sort of calm.

tampam4
07-15-10, 23:21
haha, I'm totally going to kill your "sort of calm" sense at depth with this right here:D

What was happening was the law of partial pressures. As you dove deeper, the partial pressure of 02 increased in your lungs, therefore greatly lessening the urge to breathe. If you "packed" or breathed up right before the dive getting rid of all the C02, the need to breathe lessened even more. So you keep on diving deeper thinking everything gets A-OK. Then on the way up, as the water pressure decreases, so does the partial pressure of 02. If you are not careful, you'll SWB (shallow water blackout) before you hit the surface, or when you hit the surface and exhale, you'll go out.

I know, it's a whole lot less romantic than "calm oneness" at depth.:dance3:

I used to SCUBA dive a whole lot and did a little bit of freediving. The funny thing about it was that holding your breath felt like it got much much easier below forty or fifty feet.

You'd get through the first set of urges to exhale at depth and reach a sort of calm.

Honu
07-16-10, 01:34
I can relate to the JOB :)

Maui was a great place to work for sure

did intros for quite a few years way to many to count usually 3-4 groups of 4 every day off the beach !!!!
not sure if you did intros ? but those are kinda fun though cause you have the chance to turn people onto diving and show them a good time get em hooked so actually enjoyed those

also taught SNUBA for a while to take over for the regular guy who got attacked by a yellow margin morey ;) after they did surgery on what was left of his hand from feeding one and not knowing how ????
the video guy caught it on tape !!!!!!!! 4 hours reconstructive surgery !!!!

when I lived on Utila we did a ton of OW to DM work which was big down their in the early 90s at least then they would bring a Course director down to do the instructor class for them mostly Euros getting their instructor rating in a crammed program kinda like FL has in places !!

last half of my dive career or just over I mostly just lead dives which was fun especially when it was just one or two people and they were experienced divers actually got to relax and do some cool diving

after work we would go back out and dive almost every day
we had a 22 foot RIB we could use anytime we wanted so we took advantage of it free gas free boat free air bring along friends and go fishing and lobstering pretty much every night after work and have big beach luaus AHHHH the life of a dive bum

tampam4
07-16-10, 01:49
nevermind! Honu, pm sent!

FlyAndFight
07-16-10, 09:24
What I found impressive as well was their lack of fins.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
07-16-10, 10:02
What I found impressive as well was their lack of fins.

I guess it's safe to say that was filmed in segments between breathing? There is no way they could hold their breath that long with all that moving around.

ST911
07-16-10, 13:25
I used to be a full-time dive instructor, but only did freediving on the side whenever I could. I'm no trubridge, but I've hit triple digits a few times depth wise. Most of it comes down to fitness level and proper breathing. I promise you that I can take anybody off the street, spend two days with him doing no physical fitness, and double his breath hold after two days. Breath holdingis 60% mental, 35% proper breathing and 5% fitness.:cool:

I'd like to hear more... What can a layman do to increase his hold time?

tampam4
07-16-10, 13:33
I guess it's safe to say that was filmed in segments between breathing? There is no way they could hold their breath that long with all that moving around.

They were brought down to the wreck and back up to the surface with the two scooters at the end of the video, and in between doing the filming.

Erik 1
07-16-10, 13:36

So would I. (Very cool video, by the way.)

tampam4
07-16-10, 13:47

You use something called O2 and CO2 tables. The O2 tables train your body to deal better with less 02 in your system, and the CO2 tables train your body to deal better with increased amounts of CO2 in your system. CO2 is the bodies way of telling you "dumbass, you need to take a breath" The more CO2 you have built up, the greater urge you feel to take a breath.

This is why it is VERY dangerous to hyperventilate just before you go underwater. It drops the bodies level of CO2 down way low, giving you the impression that you do not need to breathe anytime soon. Problem is, 02 levels will drop faster than CO2 levels rise, so eventually you'll just "click off" due to no oxygen, and you never saw it coming because your CO2 levels were still not high enough.

Ok, here are the tables.

CO2 TABLE
- start -
- Hold 2mins
- Recover 2mins
- Hold 2mins
- Recover 1min
- Hold 2mins
- Recover 30secs
- Hold 2mins
- Recover 15secs
- Hold 2mins.
- finish -

O2 TABLE
- start -
- Hold 1 min
- Recover 2 mins
- Hold 1.5 min
- Recover 2 mins
- Hold 2 mins
- Recover 2 mins
- Hold 2.5 mins
- Recover 2 mins
- Hold 3 mins
- Recover 2 mins
- Hold 3.5 mins
- Recover 2 mins

ETA: As to how I personally breathe during these tables, recovery time is spend taking veeeeery deep breaths through you mouth until you cannot inhale any more, and then try to "top off" with a few quick "whiffs of inhaling, and exhale aaaall the way, and then do the opposite of the whiffs and try to totally empty your lungs. You want to get as much O2 in and has much CO2 out (not by hyperventilation)
As you can tell, the CO2 table is designed to decrease the amount of time you have to get CO2 out of your system, and the O2 table forces you to go longer each time. Obviously these tables are very personal, because not everybody can hold for those times right away.

Here is a good link for some "software" to help you plan it. you basically enter the info it asks for, and it will set up a custom table for you. http://apnea.cz/?software

you should have no problem doing these "dry" by yourself on the couch /in bed, put if you push yourself make sure you won't fall over and bust your head open. And don't ever practice "wet" by yourself. Always have a buddy withing touching distance, and make sure he knows what signs to look for and what to do if you black out.

Erik 1
07-16-10, 13:51
Thanks!

ST911
07-16-10, 13:59
Ok, here are the tables.

you should have no problem doing these "dry" by yourself on the couch /in bed, put if you push yourself make sure you won't fall over and bust your head open. And don't ever practice "wet" by yourself. Always have a buddy withing touching distance, and make sure he knows what signs to look for and what to do if you black out.

Good stuff, thank you.

I'm guessing those aren't good exercises to do while driving, either. :D

VooDoo6Actual
07-16-10, 14:01
Outstanding Thanks !

tampam4
07-16-10, 14:08
Good stuff, thank you.

I'm guessing those aren't good exercises to do while driving, either. :D

Not the most ideal time to do breath hold tables...:secret:

And about the dangers of doing the wet breath hold alone... I did read an article in a Navy magazine about a Navy SEAL that was doing some breath hold practice on his own at the local pool in Hawaii. He was told by the lifeguards that he wasn't allowed to do underwater breath holding, but he told them that he was a SEAL, and the shouldn't worry at all. Navy SEAL takes a deep breath and lets himself hit the bottom of the pool (4 foot shallow end) Over the next 20 minutes or so, as the lifeguards are under their shade umbrellas, various people comment on the man laying on the bottom of the pool.. "Oh, it's just a Navy SEAL doing some practice" they say, shrug their shoulders and move on. It takes them about 30minutes to realize the Navy SEAL had drowned.:eek:

parishioner
07-16-10, 15:56
here's another amazing video, this time Guillaume Nery "base jumping" Deans blue hole. I actually like this one better, more epic seems to be the correct word. Makes me want to get back on track in freediving so bad:fie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQITWbAaDx0

Dude, where I can I find more videos like this. These are sick.

tampam4
07-16-10, 16:00
Dude, where I can I find more videos like this. These are sick.

I have yet to find a video that comes close to being as cool as the base jumping one, but you can find some high speed low drag videos by looking for " William Trubridge" "Freediving record" etc etc. :)