PDA

View Full Version : Need information on rare night vision system

Animal_Mother556
07-15-10, 19:56
I have been digging around online and am not coming up with much...tell me everything you guys know about the MXU-810/U "Cat's eye" system. All I know is that it was used in the late 90s by air crewmen, and that it runs on a 1/2 AA power supply. I would like to know if these power supplies are available. I don't think the ANVIS 6 or 9 power supplies will work. There is a law enforcement agency around here that recieved one years ago in a box full of stuff from the federal government. They just have one of the two peices that would sit in front of your eyes. No mount or anyting either. They are wanting to know if it works, but have no way to power the darn thing.

Thanks alot, guys.

JohnnyC
07-15-10, 20:12
"MXU-810/U - “Catseye” was one of two NVG’s used in USN/USMC tactical (fixed-wing) aircraft. Catseye is phased-out and replaced by AN/AVS-9. All Catseye NVG’s will be out of service by 2000. The MXU-810/U “Catseye” Night Vision Goggle Sensor (NVGS) was a projected-image, helmet-mounted binocular image intensification device. Catseye utilised an optical combined eyepiece to present the intensified image to the user. Catseye was powered by one 1/2 AA lithium battery. It was a passive detection device designed for use with military fixed-wing aircraft as a pilot aid during night time operations.
Was used on F/A-18, F-14, AV-8B."

Quick google search produced this and not much else.

Animal_Mother556
07-15-10, 21:21
Yeah, thanks, Johnny. That's about all I could find too. I was hoping maybe someone in the Navy or Marines back when they used these would have some info.

IPSC_GUY
07-16-10, 09:06
Shoot Ed Wilcox an email. If anyone will know, Ed will.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

sinister
07-16-10, 10:18
Radio Shack used to carry Tadiran 1/2 AA batteries.

A half-set would still make a nice optic.