PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts....

GIFFMANN
07-15-10, 21:20
Okay, I'm not just looking for blanket statements, I'm looking for reasoned thought behind this.

I've got a G26 that I carry most of the time, that I alternate with the 1911 I built in the Vickers course. I'm about to pick up a G17 or a G19, but I'm struggling with which way to go.

The pistol I pick up will be used for attending classes and most likely carried on my SOC-C belt in a Safariland, Blackhawk or G-Code holster. I'll also use it when teaching CCW as I think the 26 is a bit small for my hands for such use.

I can get a good deal on either a Gen 4 G19 or a Gen 3 G17.

So, let me hear it!

Thanks!

Avenger29
07-15-10, 21:26
I think a 19 would be excellent for your purposes. It would also be a great example of an excellent size gun for CCW to your students, and is still big enough to be a "service" size gun for OWB carry/use. Get a good IWB holster for it and you can show your students that guns larger than mouseguns can easily be carried and concealed...

djegators
07-15-10, 21:30
I agree, the G19 is a great all-around, all-purpose pistol,. Small enough for ccw, big enough for range use, and everything in between.

kaltblitz
07-15-10, 21:41
I agree, the G19 is a great all-around, all-purpose pistol,. Small enough for ccw, big enough for range use, and everything in between.

+1

If I was limited to owning one pistol it would be a G19.

YVK
07-15-10, 21:43
Giff, I'd go with 17 in this case, unless you plan to unload 26. 19 is a great all around gun if you are limited to one Glock. In your case if you were to continue carry 26, than do you really need a 19? 17 has a few advantages, and some people prefer it subjectively. The setup you've mentioned is OWB, there is really no benefit that 19 has here. As far as teaching or using it for CCW, one just needs to remember that G17 is about the size of Commander 1911...
Anyway, my Glock selection process is:
- one Glock only - 19
- already own a 19 and want something bigger - get 34
- already own a 17 and want somehing smaller - get 26.

Note that I am only talking sizes; in your case there is also a choice to be made between Gen4 vs Gen 3; I can't comment here.

Entropy
07-15-10, 21:51
G19.

The 4" barrel, compact sized pistol is the ideal defensive pistol in my opinion. It seems to offer the best combination of compact size, handling, and performance. Shorter slides come out of the holster faster, the shorter magazines are easier to index during reloads, the shorter sight radius is faster to align(but still has good precision), and of course the pistol is better balanced. Hard to go wrong with the G19.

rathos
07-15-10, 23:42
Out of the two I would pick the G17. I had to use a 17 for my academy days and I have shot a few different 19s.

I don't have the biggest hands in the world, but the 17 seemed to fit my hands better. Due to the grip size of the 19 the giant hump in the back interferes with my grip and makes the gun point high (granted I have heard that the gen 4 takes care of this issue). I have found that with the right holster its not that much harder to hide the 17 then the 19. I used a MS Summer Special 2 and I VM 2 style holster and the 17 completely disappeared under a t shirt.

With all that said I still like the 17 better. Good luck.

Oscar 319
07-16-10, 00:12
Glock 19.

Stay away from the Blackhawk holster.

Magic_Salad0892
07-16-10, 02:58
I really hate to say this because I like the 17 better, but go with the 19.

It'll work better for you.

ilsrwy27
07-16-10, 08:42
+1

What he said... I am not a Glock fan by any means but it is clear to me that the G19 will do it all and is the ticket for you.

vaspence
07-16-10, 09:17
If you are going to use it for teaching CCW classes, I'd carry something that the stuents would carry, i.e. the 19. With the basic pistol classes I teach, the 19 is always a favorite among the students. And I give them the opportunity to shoot all three (26,19 & 17).

Of course you should probably just go with the standard M4 answer and get both. :D

Spence

DWood
07-16-10, 11:54
If you plan to carry it concealed when not teaching, I think the 19 is the choice. If you just want it for attending or teaching classes, I like the 17, UNLESS your goal is to let students handle one of the best mid size carry guns. Then, the 19 wins out again.

I don't teach, but I have a 34 that I use for classes because I like the larger size and mag capacity. It also will go in my emergency bag with a Lone Wolf threaded barrel, YHM suppressor and 200 rounds of Ranger 147 grain ammo. I also have a 35.

There really is a benefit to having all, but the 19 is the best all around. I would show your students how a 26 with a mag extension is the same size, with less capacity, than a 19 which holds more rounds.

To me, the 26 or 27 are a waste unless you take advantage of their size and carry them without the mag extension. Of course you are left to deal with the dangling pinky finger without the mag extension.

And after all this time I have a 23, 27, 36, 34, and 35 but no 19. I'm going to have to fix that.

VooDoo6Actual
07-16-10, 14:24
+1 G19

M4arc
07-16-10, 14:36
Get one of the new Gen4 G19s.

bigkracka
07-16-10, 20:16
19 is arguably Glocks finest model, oustanding all around pistol. It is just the right size and balance.

tpd223
07-19-10, 01:48
I've had Glock 22/27 or Glock 17/26 carry combination for a very long time, never thought I needed the mid sized gun since I have the big and little sized.

Then I bought a G19 on a whim. It is my favorite off-duty gun, I have no idea how I lived without this thing.

SWATcop556
07-19-10, 06:43
G19 for me.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=709913#post709913

blackboar
07-19-10, 18:51
Which one feels better in your hands? I chose the 19. There is definitely a difference in feel and pointing between the 19 and 17 for me. And that was comparing 2 gen 3's.

DarwinsLilHelper
07-19-10, 20:05
Out of the two choices and for the purposes stated..I'd go with the 19.

I just can't think of any reason to carry a full size if concealed carry is in any way a factor in use.

ColdDeadHands
07-20-10, 00:59
Get the one that feels better.

ColdDeadHands
07-20-10, 01:03
I just can't think of any reason to carry a full size if concealed carry is in any way a factor in use.

I carry a G21SF under a t-shirt - no problem (5.10', 200 lb.). I prefer carrying a full-size gun because it allows me to get a much better grip during the draw...my problem with compacts is probably my gut! YMMV

Seraph
07-20-10, 13:30
My preference would be for the Glock 19, but I'd be happy and confident using a Glock 17. The truth is that, with a proper concealment holster (I'd go for a canted leather IWB holster, with widely placed belt loops), and a good firm gun belt (even something as simple as a Wilderness "Instructor" type belt), the Glock 17 can ride very discreetly, very comfortably, all day long. A good point was made about the Glock 19 being a great example of a CCW. That said, I think it would also make a great impression on students to demonstrate to them that the even larger Glock 17 can be effectively and comfortably carried, with the use of the right gear. You don't have to be a big guy to conceal either of these sidearms. You just have to be a properly informed and motivated guy.

ra2bach
07-20-10, 15:24

um-hmm... if I was only going to get one...

but he already has a G36 for CCW. I would pair this with a G17 for the purposes he described. but that's just me...

G_M
07-20-10, 15:51
I would choose the firearm that I can shoot better which may be the G17 but you are the only one that can decide. My guess is i would probably shoot the G17 better being that it is a full sized firearm.

As far as CCW goes unfortunately you are the only one that can make that decision because everyones body is unique. I know people my size that carry G17s and people that are actually smaller that carry full sized 1911s. I think a G34 for me is pushing it but it is almost possible with the right holster.