PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody timed their Gen4 9 mm Glocks against Gen3?

YVK
07-15-10, 21:26
The title says it.
Gen4 17 has been out for few months, and 19 is here too. Almost all Gen4 owners appear to rave how flat they shoot and how fast they get back on target; I've read things like "incremental" or "worth possible reliability concerns".

I wonder if anybody has actually objectively timed their Gen4s against earlier generations, especially in 9 mm. I remain skeptical - after all, this is 9mm, how much incremental benefit can you get here. Gen4 dudes, prove me wrong.

ck1
07-15-10, 21:48
I timed a bunch of FAST Drills back-to-back when I first got my Gen4... I found I was about the same on the clock but did think the Gen4 was shooting flatter than my 3rdGen G17, though IMO most of the difference had more to do with the better grip texture more so than the recoil spring.

That said and FWIW, I couldn't stand for the drop-off in reliability any longer with the Gen4 and traded it for a G17RTF2, with a 15lb ismi spring in it I'm seeing better times than ever and my gun is boringly reliable again...

HK45
07-16-10, 20:53
Go shoot one for yourself YVK. Mine have something like 15, 000 rds between three G17's with no issues. My G4 19 has 1,000 rds through it with no issues. I've had no Glock that shoots as accurately, quickly, and reliably. The "issues" are way, way overblown.

YVK
07-16-10, 21:10
Go shoot one for yourself YVK. Mine have something like 15, 000 rds between three G17's with no issues. My G4 19 has 1,000 rds through it with no issues. I've had no Glock that shoots as accurately, quickly, and reliably. The "issues" are way, way overblown.

I wish I could rent one, but I doubt gunshops will be changing their rental fleet. I could buy one, but I have a "non-proliferation policy" - no buying unless prospective purchases have tangible benefits over what I already own; that's my way of exercising fiscal discipline. Hence, the quest for objective data...

JHC
07-18-10, 11:28
I now am pretty certain of the degree of advantage the Gen 4 offers me vs my Gen 3s based on working on the FAST drill today on a PACT timer.

However, today it was G17 vs G17, not exactly the G19 vs G19 matchup the OP was looking for. I will probably get to that.

I might say that I saw a 0.50 sec advantage to the Gen 4 G17 in FAST drills except that the the half second slower Gen 3 runs were always missing one hit. So I was a half second faster on FAST drills with my Gen 4 G17 vs the Gen 3 G17--- with the Gen 3 always dropping on hit. My mentally wired tempo of speed was wanting to keep up the pace but the increased front sight jumping of the Gen 3 always dropped a hit.

I won't post the times of these drills as even I don't believe what I was seeing on that timer. :D

YVK
07-18-10, 11:41
JHC, thanks. If you ever feel like doing this - would you please time some splits; maybe a circle drill or something of such kind? FAST is a composite drill, that 0.5 sec may come from a number of things - say, you could be drawing faster because of more comfortable grip, dropping mag faster because of bigger mag catch button etc. Another way would be to time pressout from high ready with 2 rounds on 3x5 - less variables here, just pressout, first shot and one split time. I really appreciate the info.

JHC
07-18-10, 11:46
All so very true. Great idea for a future comparo. I must do that. Thanks

re splits - I'm not necessarily looking for faster splits per se. I'm interested in better hits. Visually, as my splits approach 0.20, I feel at the limits of my old visual ability to process the image. What I am really seeing is distinctly tighter groups when running similiar splits in the 0.25 range.

Also - on the G17 - changing from no grip adaptor (smallest option) to the large grip adaptor too a substantial amount of time off my runs. I much prefer the large.

joshs
07-18-10, 12:13
I see zero difference in split times shooting 3 or fewer shots. On something like a bill drill my grip stays together better on the Gen 4. I think this has more to do with the new grip texture than it does with the recoil system. The recoil system does seem to take some of the snappiness out of my carry load. (Winchester Ranger 127 +p+). This is entirely subjective, I do not have split times with this load in a Gen 3.

YVK
07-18-10, 15:20
re splits - I'm not necessarily looking for faster splits per se. I'm interested in better hits. Visually, as my splits approach 0.20, I feel at the limits of my old visual ability to process the image. What I am really seeing is distinctly tighter groups when running similiar splits in the 0.25 range.

Yes, certainly, I assumed at least the same accuracy with faster times. Better groups with similar times is an important parameter too. When I do my comparative evals, I keep the targets and then superimpose them later for analysis.
I am sure as those 4s gain more market share, more data will emerge and get reported, hopefully, in objective ways.