PDA

View Full Version : Water proofing

whiskey6
07-15-10, 21:40
Are there any good spray brands out there to keep our stuff dry?
Other then boots,what else should we address?

HES
07-16-10, 01:38
Depends on what you are water proofing. If it goes in your ruck you could always line it with a garbage bag, WP bag or stuff everything into a combination of various sized ziplock freezer bags.

MTechnik
07-16-10, 07:04
Are there any good spray brands out there to keep our stuff dry?
Other then boots,what else should we address?

Depending on where you are going, you might not want your boots waterproof. If water will come over the boot, or it's excessively wet, the waterproofing will keep your boot from shedding water....

bkb0000
07-16-10, 07:14
Depending on where you are going, you might not want your boots waterproof. If water will come over the boot, or it's excessively wet, the waterproofing will keep your boot from shedding water....

nothing like walking around with two quarts of canal water sloshing in your boots, rotting your feet off.

same goes for any breathable rain gear, like gor-tex. waterproofing gortex actually makes you wetter.

Von Rheydt
07-17-10, 18:58
In the British Army we used to use:

1. Silicon spray / tent proofing spray. Mainly on boonies, on the shoulders and upper arms of jackets and the butt area and knees of trousers.

2. Wax. The wax re-proofer for wax jackets like barbour and driz-a-bone - I never used it myself but I knew plenty who did. It has the effect of darkening camo jackets so it can be a pain. It was good for waterproofing webbing gear though - back in the day when webbing and ammo pouches were canvas.

As already said; waterproof boots keep water in as well as they keep it out. I know of a couple of Euro countries where the SF units begged for Gucci goretex boots only to beg for non-goretex again a couple of months later. A light spray with silicone regularly will keep out surface moisture or light drizzle.

My favourite boots are the Lowa's.

whiskey6
07-18-10, 12:43
Thanks for the info..

tampam4
07-18-10, 13:54
I have used condoms with great success keeping stuff in...I mean water out:jester:

Seriously though, I've gone on 3 hour river rafting trips where I've spent half that time in the water. Had a GPS and a cell phone in my pocket at the time wrapped in two. Obviously make sure the condoms are unlubed. put whatever you are waterproofing in the condom (preferably no sharp edges) tie a knot, then put it in another condom knot end first, and tie that one off. Works great. For anything you are just rainproofing such as fabric, Scotchguard spray has done the trick for me to keep water from being absorbed and make it bead and run off instead.

whiskey6
07-19-10, 17:06
I have used condoms with great success keeping stuff in...I mean water out:jester:

Seriously though, I've gone on 3 hour river rafting trips where I've spent half that time in the water. Had a GPS and a cell phone in my pocket at the time wrapped in two. Obviously make sure the condoms are unlubed. put whatever you are waterproofing in the condom (preferably no sharp edges) tie a knot, then put it in another condom knot end first, and tie that one off. Works great. For anything you are just rainproofing such as fabric, Scotchguard spray has done the trick for me to keep water from being absorbed and make it bead and run off instead.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Great.At last, I can use the one that's been riding in my wallet since 1980.:D:D