PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal SLR106FR

MH64
06-11-07, 19:50
My first AK was a Global USA SSR85B. Very nicely done Polish AKM parts kit on a FEG AKM reciever. Have had this for many years and don't plan on letting her go.
Have also had a couple of Century SAR1's and SAR2's. Ended up keeping one of each. The SAR1 is a basic truck gun. Clean it and feed it... it just keeps on going. But she ain't pretty. The SAR2 I've turned into an AIMS74 clone.
So that gets me AK shooters in both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

Well was looking for a Century Galil but all of the examples that I have found looked pretty rough and most had crooked/canted front sights.

Then I stumbled upon the SLR106FR. A very nicely finished AK in 5.56. Liked the folding stock idea but do not like the plastic AK100 style folding buttstock. So I replaced it with a Bulgarian folding metal triangle stock. Also had a set of US made plum handguards and pistol grip so I put those on.

Haven't shot her yet. Hope to later this week or next.
Overall this is one very nice AK. If it shoots as good as it looks, it will go alongside my SSR85B as a keeper.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/SLR106FR.jpg

TOrrock
06-11-07, 19:56
They are great rifles, I love mine.

Let us know how it runs for you.

MH64
06-16-07, 04:57
Have now added a US made piston and a AKUSA/RPB/FSE AK74 brake for two additional US parts.

Have some nice Russian laminate wood that will be going on here.

Robb Jensen
06-16-07, 11:36
After a trip back to Arsenal mine now works 100%. They ramped the edge of the chamber kind of like a 'ramp and throat' job on a 1911 pistol.

I'll be shooting mine tomorrow for the side carbine/rifle match at Blackwater (wish me luck ;) ).

Here's what the feed ramp now looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/b79b8120.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/07bd67c5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/96cd24f5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/a55038e7.jpg

MH64
06-16-07, 22:09
gotm4
Say, whats up with your safety selector and mag release? Don't exactly look stock.

Robb Jensen
06-16-07, 23:07
gotm4
Say, whats up with your safety selector and mag release? Don't exactly look stock.

It's a BlackJack SWIFT safety lever and an AK Concepts (now called PWS, Primary Weapon Systems) extended mag catch. Stock is slow ;)

RD_Byrd
06-17-07, 23:11
M4,

What kind of problems were you having with your 106 before you sent it back to Arsenal?

I have a 106, identical set up, but I haven't got to take it to the range yet.

Thanks,
Rich

Robb Jensen
06-18-07, 04:24
M4,

What kind of problems were you having with your 106 before you sent it back to Arsenal?

I have a 106, identical set up, but I haven't got to take it to the range yet.

Thanks,
Rich

I had a lot of feed problems. It would damage the shell casing so bad that it couldn't chamber. The very same problems as the guys here. http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26083

They fixed it and the mags (it's hard to tell what they did to the mags) but it runs 100% now.

RD_Byrd
06-26-07, 22:36
Well, I fired my 106F for the first time today. I shot approximately 300 round of Federal 55gr FMJ. I had three round fail to chamber and all the brass exhibited "dents" as shown in previous posts/links.

I am going to call Arsenal tommorrow and get it sent off and have the feedramp polished or whatever it is that Arsenal does to correct the problem.

Rich

Kisara
06-27-07, 03:54
What kind of magazines were you using? (Black or Clear, Gen 1 or 2)

RD_Byrd
06-27-07, 10:57
Black Gen 2 magazines.

TOrrock
06-27-07, 11:41
Black Gen 2 magazines.

I know it sucks that it's not 100% out of the box, but they will take care of you, no question.

They are in the middle of moving their set up right now, so that might delay getting the rifle back to you some.

Snake RAH
06-29-07, 15:58
Sorry to hijack, but since my approval hasn't gone in effect over at the other site above, did everyone who has a SLR106 series have issues with FTF?

I dropped the hammer and put one on order, and would like to know what to look for. Thanks.

TOrrock
06-29-07, 16:13
Snake, you're good to go for AKForum, I just checked.

Basically, some of the 106's need a more pronounced feed ramp into the chamber.

Snake RAH
06-29-07, 19:00
Thanks, Templar. :)

Kisara
06-30-07, 15:18
Shot mine yesterday for the first time. I will report the range results and some photos for my first post there when I get back home in a few days.

MH64
07-04-07, 03:19
Shot mine yesterday for the first time. I will report the range results and some photos for my first post there when I get back home in a few days.

Kisara
How about that range report.

Snake RAH
07-06-07, 00:16
I picked mine up today, and it has a chamber that looks like gotm4's, except it's still nice and black, not shiny.

Compared to my WASR10, this rifle is nice.

I've got two Gen1 mags and two Gen2 mags, and a lot of ammo. I can't wait to go shooting on Saturday.

Kisara
07-06-07, 15:48
Kisara
How about that range report.

I'm trying out more types of ammo first, plus a custom VCAS is on the way. I'd like to get more photos before my report. My chamber looks better than the "Before photo" in the other thread, but not as polished as his "After" photo. Glad I don't have to send it back (phew!).

I shot 100rds of Winchester .55gr first, and there were some pretty deep brass shavings on the casing directly opposite of that little dent which is caused by the ejector. This smoothed out as more ammo was fired, and by the end of the 100rds the shavings disappeared.

Next was 100rds of Hornady 75gr "Practice" TAP. So far, only problem was one light primer strike. There was an indentation on the primer, and I reinserted it by hand into the chamber and it fired the 2nd time. There were no shavings or dents at all with the steel cased Hornady.

I'm using five clear Gen 2 mags, which was all I could find in person when I was in Nevada (Citadel). Two fit and release pefect, the other three are pretty tight going in, without the loud positive "click" I get on the first two. The release lever is about half way closed on these three mags. I can file down later, or see if they work themselves in with use (I have no experience with plastic mags). The little 5rd mag that came with the rifle fit and released the best.

Snake RAH
07-07-07, 17:06
I got out to the range and shot mine today (went with a SLR106F since I won't use the rail and will never sell this gun).

I started at 50 yards with the 5 round magazine to check zero. Zero was pretty much on, except I had the strangest malfunction with the 5 round magazine. When I fired the 3rd round, the spent case would fly out along with the 4th round in the magazine, which was live. The gun had fully cycled, since the next trigger pull was "click". I removed the magazine, noted only one round left (the 5th round), and manually cycled the gun to find the chamber empty. On the next 5 round magazine group, the gun did the same thing. On the third attempt, the 4rd round jammed and the bullet got pushed back into the case enough not to shoot.

Lesson learned: the factory 5 round magazine is crap. I guess if I want to hunt with it or something, I'll just load 3 rounds. :rolleyes:

Next was with two Gen1 black magazines, and two Gen2 black magazines. The rifle functioned flawlessly. By far, this rifle is very pleasant to shoot, and with just irons, my groups were comparable to my M4 I was function testing mags with. I used 2 mags of 55gr FMJ American Eagle, and 2 mags of 55gr FMJ Monarch (steel cased). I didn't really notice an accuracy difference, although the American Eagle must be a little hotter, since POI was two inches higher than the Monarch.

The boresighter at the factory was dead on at 50 yards. At 100 yards, the shots were a couple inches low and right. 1/2 revolution on the front sight post and 1/4 turn on the front sight tool for the windage drum, and I was shooting almost as well as I do with an iron sighted AR at the same distance.

I noticed that recoil was down and to the left, slightly, and despite a "loudener" -74 brake, the report didn't seem offensive to the other shooters.

Now the gun has 197 rounds through it (2 live rounds were not recovered, 1 round was discarded after being pushed back--all from the crappy 5 round mag). It is well on the way to being one of my favorite guns.

Kisara
07-07-07, 17:35
Hey T, I'm 3 rounds ahead of you! How do you like that 2-stage trigger?

Snake RAH
07-08-07, 15:11
Well, K, it's a pretty nice trigger for an AK. Mine's a little gritty in the initial take up, but crisp for the let off.

Cleaned mine last night after shooting, and didn't find any brass shavings or anything in the gun (only fired 60 rounds of brass cased American Eagle). I hope to get out Wednesday and do more shooting. I was getting bored with my ARs and find this rifle a lot of fun.

MH64
07-08-07, 22:16
Kisara and Snake
Whats your serial number range on your SLR?

Kisara
07-09-07, 00:00
PM sent.

FWIW, I don't think these were built with consecutive serial numbers (alpha or numeric).

Snake RAH
07-09-07, 13:32
PM sent.

FlyAndFight
07-09-07, 13:53
Excellent range review, SnakeRAH. I'm curious to hear if others are having the same problem with the 5 round mag.

Snake RAH
07-12-07, 22:31
Got out today again to shoot. I fired the rest of my Monarch (280 rounds), and no problems. I find that as the gun gets hotter (but not smoking hot), it shoots better.

I didn't use the 5 round mag.

I bought 500 rounds of Military Classic Wolf to try next. It's nice buying the steel cased ammo, since it's cheaper than brass case, and have it work in a gun.

I will end up replacing the sights, though. I prefer the XS 24/7 sight on the front, and the Fuller enhanced sight for the rear (with a wider notch to accommodate the wider front post), like I have on my WASR10.

Other than that, it's a great rifle.

Wally
07-13-07, 19:54
Does anyone know the thread pattern on this?

Thanks, Wally

TOrrock
07-14-07, 02:42
Does anyone know the thread pattern on this?

Thanks, Wally

If you're talking about the thread pitch for the muzzle brake, it's 24mm RH.

Wally
07-14-07, 11:22
Thats what I was looking for, Thanks, Wally

Kisara
07-22-07, 02:17
http://i8.tinypic.com/6g9w392.jpg