PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Glock 21SF

RAM Engineer
06-11-07, 22:49
In reading Walt Rauch's review of the gun I noticed some items that I'd like to verify from people with actual G21/G21SF experience
(this means YOU GotM4!;) ):

1. He mentions that the 21SF has a "improved slide lock retaining system and a beefier dust cover" than the 21. True or false? If so, what are the details of these improvements? Is their purpose to increase reliability? Is the Glock raill dust cover "beefed" up, or just the 1913 rail dustcover?

2. Is the slide actually .12" shorter on the 21SF than the 21? (8.23" vs 8.11")

Thanks,

Jason

Robb Jensen
06-12-07, 04:17
I haven't broke out my micrometer on my 21SF.

Glock tells me and by my observation the only differences in the 21 and 21SF is the frame itself and the trigger housing. Everything else is the same. All new 21 mags have both mag catch cuts since the 21SF will soon be available without the ambi mag-catch. The uppers are 100% the same as any 21, this is probably why the slide is marked 21 and not 21SF.

The Picatinny 21SF rail is beefier because it's taller top to bottom when compared to a Glock regular light rail.

The slide covers are 100% the same. I just compared my 21SF slide cover and Glock 17 slide covers and they're the same and interchangeable.

The slide lock spring on the 21SF is longer (front to back) and a little wider (side to side) than the G17 slide lock spring (I believe this is normally bigger but I'll check between a regular 21SF and 21 later today or tomorrow. I'll also measure the slide length and heights and compare them.

I'd like to know how old the non-SF version of the 21 Walt was comparing the new 21SF with. Earlier 21s had different barrels,locking blocks, ejectors, extractors, trigger bars & spring loaded bearings, mags have also changes slightly over the years. The external chamber area on very earlier 21s is different than the 21s of the last 5yrs or so. Glock at some point may have shortened the slides on 21s, if so I'm not aware of it.

ETA: no measurable differences between slides and slide lock springs between a new 21 and new 21SF.

RAM Engineer
06-12-07, 18:14
Thanks. I began questioning the article when I saw him repeatedly refer to the presolicitation draft JCP specs and the associated mods as "non-binding letters" :rolleyes:

So: G21 = G21SF with shorter grip/trigger housing and ambi mag release ONLY.

I guess I just need to wait for the non-ambi versions to come out.

Robb Jensen
06-16-07, 13:11
Sometimes you have to question the source, since the writers do have magazines to sell.

Denny
06-23-07, 00:39
I just finished the Glock armorer course for the 3rd time. I was able to handle the 21 and talk to the Glock rep. The difference is the "hollow well" is smaller and the trigger housing has material removed to improve the trigger reach. The ambi mag release was a pain in the ass for my to get in and out. The slide is exactkly the same as the 21. The magazine for the 21SF have a metal plate on the front and will work in the 21 but a 21 mag will not in the SF.

Right before attending the course I purchased a SA XD Service model. It fitted my hand better than a 21 and I have always favored the 45ACP. (22 years military) The XD is now a Bowie Tactical Concepts for some frame work and trigger and will be used off duty. I have no plans to get a 21SF as of yet but did get to handle a S&W MP in 45ACP Very nice

Lumpy196
06-23-07, 03:14
since the 21SF will soon be available without the ambi mag-catch.

Please tell me this is confirmed...

M4arc
06-23-07, 05:36
Please tell me this is confirmed...

It's confirmed. There are several people on GT and TOS that have them and have posted pictures.

striped1
06-23-07, 07:11
confirmed by Glock rep at Glock armorers course a few days ago.

RAM Engineer
06-23-07, 10:25
Any confirmation on 21SF availability with 1913 rail AND single sided mag release? I asked this at GT, but got no answers.

Thanks,

Jason

M4arc
06-23-07, 10:45
Any confirmation on 21SF availability with 1913 rail AND single sided mag release? I asked this at GT, but got no answers.

Thanks,

Jason

I haven't seen one in that configuration yet. Maybe a PM to HotRod9mm is order to answer that question. If anyone would know it would be him.

Hawkeye
06-23-07, 15:48
It's confirmed. There are several people on GT and TOS that have them and have posted pictures.

Oh my... that does complicate things.

Lumpy196
06-23-07, 22:40
Actually, it simplifies things for me ;)

Got a link Marc? I saw Jimbo45's Dremel job, but then again, I cant search these days.

M4arc
06-25-07, 06:45
Actually, it simplifies things for me ;)

Got a link Marc? I saw Jimbo45's Dremel job, but then again, I cant search these days.

I guess I didn't read Jimob45's post good enough to learn that he dremel'd that. :(

I went back and check GT and it was him posting over there as well. I guess my wait for a Glock 45 ACP will continue.