PDA

View Full Version : Best home defense round or combo, AR15

Pappabear
07-17-10, 10:19
I have the Hornaday TAP loaded up in my mags right now. Is there anyone that likes to put one TAP then one NATO 193 or 855 for better penetration and alternate them. In case you need to shoot through walls or cars windows / doors? I don't see that need in most scenarios but most scenarios don't exist anyway.

Also, what do you think about the VMAX type hunting bullets for home defense? How do the he 55 grain high exploding type bullets when shooting bad guys perform?

TehLlama
07-17-10, 12:45
We've made use of M193/M855 potpourri for VCP stuff, but that's really not very ideal. For civilian applications, you don't need tons of magazines, so if you forsee a need for intermediate barrier penetration, a heavier but similar TAP round might be the most practical, and use 55gr for training and practice (since at reasonable distances the POI difference is negligible).
55gr is still a great choice, since I don't see myself wanting 14" penetration in that many civilian settings where I live (Hawaii, thin single wall construction in houses), but your situation likely differs.

DTHN2LGS
07-17-10, 16:28
In another thread, someone announced that 5.56 Tap T2 is available on Ammo To Go now. I would get that if I were you. I wouldn't mix ammo in a magazine, but that's just my opinion. I would put the TAP 62 gr. Barrier ammo in a different magazine if you encounter a need, and then just change mags to switch over.