PDA

View Full Version : Need ammo advice please re: barrel twist

Dr. Mike
07-17-10, 10:46
Hi all,

I am a newbie and would appreciate some advice (education) re: the relationship between barrel twist and ammo selection. I have a POF- 415 (.223) which has a 1:8 barrel twist. Can someone let me know which grain bullets will work best? I am planning on taking an intro carbine course and would like to have the right ammo with me and also learn what the relationship is between bullet wt and barrel twist.

many thanks,

Dr. Mike

m1a_scoutguy
07-17-10, 15:41
I'm sure some guys that know more than me will be along shortly,,,,but I know the 1:9 BBLs are better for lighter bullets and the 1:7 are better for heavy bullets,,,,soooooooooo,,with yours in between & considering the Carbine Coarse your gonna shoot,,I would say get whatever you can find reasonable and try it !!! Most classes are up close and personal,,so I don't think you will be shooting much distance,,so ultimate accuracy isn't as important as the ammo functioning through your rifle ! If your not against it,,,try some Wolf 55 grn,,or there are lots of other Brass cased ammo choices out there,,,,ammo has gotten "reasonable" price wize again,,so pic your poison !! :) Take a look at www.aimsurplus.com or http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/

Robb Jensen
07-17-10, 15:45
I have a 1x8 BCM SS410 barrel on my 3gun rifle and shoot 55-77gr ammo in it. I shoots sub MOA with everything I've shot thus far. What I like about 1x8 is that it pushes the heavier stuff faster than most 1x7 barrels.