PDA

View Full Version : superglue in wound

sadmin
07-17-10, 11:23
Yes, I understand this isnt a medical forum, but since im not a member of those, i thought I would ping this forum since there is a high probability that guys here have super-glued wounds.
I stabbed my hand this morning, from the inside pad under my index finger between my knuckles. I lost no feeling and although bleeding heavily, it subsided. I opted to avoid the urgent care and just super-glue it together.
The questions is this, I got a large amount of glue in the wound rather than on it, so its not even at all. Is there anything I should be weary of by getting the glue in my wound rather than on top of it? Only thing I can locate is it may have an less than clean scar, which im not too worried about.
thanks for any info.

Gutshot John
07-17-10, 11:37
Yes, I understand this isnt a medical forum, but since im not a member of those, i thought I would ping this forum since there is a high probability that guys here have super-glued wounds.
I stabbed my hand this morning, from the inside pad under my index finger between my knuckles. I lost no feeling and although bleeding heavily, it subsided. I opted to avoid the urgent care and just super-glue it together.
The questions is this, I got a large amount of glue in the wound rather than on it, so its not even at all. Is there anything I should be weary of by getting the glue in my wound rather than on top of it? Only thing I can locate is it may have an less than clean scar, which im not too worried about.
thanks for any info.

While a FIELD EXPEDIENTsolution that does work for lacerations that have been cleaned/debrided given your circumstance I would not rely on it as a more permanent solution when you have better options available.

You say "stabbed yourself" and that makes me think of a puncture wound. Puncture wounds are notoriously prone to infection and almost impossible to clean. I would consider calling a doctor and if nothing else see about a tetanus shot.

Don't take chances with your health, if the wound develops an infection it can get very bad, very quickly.

John_Wayne777
07-17-10, 12:30
Pay close attention to what the EMT above just said, dude.

TehLlama
07-17-10, 12:34
Swelling, discoloration, or pain would be indicators that the cut needs medical attention, just be mindful of those as infections can spread and become serious and expensive.

Good field expedient, but disinfecting wounds prior to application is the most pressing concern, and the best third world medical care available needn't be the standard if it gets worse.

CyberM4
07-17-10, 12:37
Next time use Cayenne pepper. That will stop the bleeding.

No.6
07-17-10, 12:58
Next time use Cayenne pepper. That will stop the bleeding.

New to me, never heard of that usage before.

dwhitehorne
07-17-10, 13:44
Super glue may not be so far fetched. 2 years ago my daughter fell and struck the eyebrow area of her head. Typical head wound, lots of blood and wife worried to death. I was an EMT about 10 years ago and though she needed stiches for sure. We went to the emergency room and I was shocked when they brought out what looked and smelled like super glue and squeezed a blob of glue over the wound. Sat there for a while why it dried and got a $300 dollar emegency room bid a month later. Good luck with the self aid and be careful. David

citizensoldier16
07-17-10, 13:58
Go have it looked at. Avoiding infection alone is worth the cost of an urgent care visit.

ST911
07-17-10, 14:31
Super glue may not be so far fetched. 2 years ago my daughter fell and struck the eyebrow area of her head. Typical head wound, lots of blood and wife worried to death. I was an EMT about 10 years ago and though she needed stiches for sure. We went to the emergency room and I was shocked when they brought out what looked and smelled like super glue and squeezed a blob of glue over the wound. Sat there for a while why it dried and got a $300 dollar emegency room bid a month later. Good luck with the self aid and be careful. David

Common these days.

Unlike field expedients, there is deliberate wound cleaning, sterile FDA approved product, and good antiseptic technique.

sadmin
07-17-10, 15:51
I went to the urgent care clinic and requested a tet. shot since it had been many years. He said the superglue was fine, but next time try not to get so much in it...he said he used dermabond when he was in the military. I also got some anti-biotics for anything that can come of it. It was a clean stainless steel kitchen knife, but better safe than sorry...I hear lock jaw is real bitch. Thanks Gutshot.

DragonDoc
07-17-10, 15:54
I was told by an old PA many years ago that puncture wounds to the hands are not to be dismissed lightly. Our standing orders were to have all (and I mean ALL) hand wounds looked at by a licensed provider (Doc, PA, Nurse Practitioner, etc.). Super glue will close the wound and stop the bleeding but will not do anything about infection. You also have to worry about infection of the joint capsules. I would have your hand looked at by a doctor as soon as possible.