PDA

View Full Version : Sent my S&W 586 off for a bit of work.

Mikey
07-18-10, 06:41
Www.moonclips.com

http://www.moonclips.com/content/machine.asp

Sent my cylinder off a few days ago for some machining.

Full moonclip capability without the loss of single round loading or speedstrip/loader usage.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/rmikemcd/DSCN0493.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/rmikemcd/DSCN0501.jpg

Mike

beastfrog
07-18-10, 10:46
Thinking about having the same thing done to my pre-lock 686. What was the turnaround time?

Mikey
07-18-10, 10:56
Sent it on a Tuesday and had it back that Saturday.

Tom is great to work with. I called ahead to see what his turnaround was and he said he is currently able to get them in, machine them, and ship them out on the same day.

-Mike

SeriousStudent
07-18-10, 11:06
Hmmm......

His website also says he can do a J-frame as well. I find myself toting a 642 a lot in the summer here in Texas. I always carry one in the winter as a backup.

That's not a bad price for all the work involved, either. You get the machining, a package of 10 clips, and the loading tools for $230.

I may just try that next month. Mikey, please let us know what you think when you get the cylinder back.

And thank you for the information. :)

Mikey
07-18-10, 11:10
It's already back. I love it.

I hate speed strips with a passion and I tolerated speed loaders up until now. Moon clips are the way to go.

I'm going to have him do my 340PD soon.

SeriousStudent
07-18-10, 13:49
Thanks for the quick response. I have a pair of J-frames. I think I'll send him the 642 first, and see how that does.

I agree with you about the speed strips. In my very humble opinion, their only two virtues are their flatness in comparison to the Safariland Comp speedloaders I usually carry, and their ability to reload a single round.

As far as reloading five rounds under pressure - not so awesome.

Mikey
07-18-10, 14:11
I usually end up dropping more rounds on the ground than I get in the cylinder. I never have gotten the hang of loading from the strip.

A 5rd moonclip is pretty compact. About 2/3 the diameter of the 6 rd. It doesn't ride totally flat but you could have it in a pocket quite easily.

tpd223
07-19-10, 01:42
Moonclips are great, until they get bent.

I used to have a S&W 940 that seemed like a good idea at the time, my experience with moonclips was not positive.

Mikey
07-19-10, 08:33
What was the most common cause for the bent clips?

From my understanding it is usually due to loading and unloading. I could also see during a reload, dropping the empty then stepping on it.

I'd like to hear back from you. I want mine to last as long as possible.

Mike

Wayne Dobbs
07-19-10, 09:55
Moonclips for a carry gun REQUIRE carry in a protected manner, such as a belt mounted pouch. This usually negates the extreme low profile most of us are seeking with our five shot modern day "derringers".

If you carry moonies in your pocket, they get bent and therefore won't fully seat and allow cylinder closure and rotation. They're a good idea for competition and range fun and not as functional for discrete carry.

Sorry if I beat your answer tpd223, but you and I know that both us old dudes are on the same sheet of music.

Wayne

TiroFijo
07-19-10, 10:14
+1 on what Wayne and tdp223 just said.

C4IGrant
07-19-10, 10:28
Hmmm......

His website also says he can do a J-frame as well. I find myself toting a 642 a lot in the summer here in Texas. I always carry one in the winter as a backup.

That's not a bad price for all the work involved, either. You get the machining, a package of 10 clips, and the loading tools for $230.

I may just try that next month. Mikey, please let us know what you think when you get the cylinder back.

And thank you for the information. :)

Speaking of 642's and moon clips, the new S&W 642 Pro Series are cut for moon clips AND have no internal lock!

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/178042.jpg

tpd223
07-19-10, 18:22
Wayne beat me to it; carry is the issue.

The moon clips are only a fast reload if they are carried in a belt pouch so that they don't get bent, otherwise they are a jam waiting to happen.

I find speedloaders like the SL Varient and the Jetloader almost as feast, and more durable and easy to carry without worry.

tracker722
07-19-10, 19:47

Mikey
07-19-10, 20:00
I can use the speedloaders just fine. I don't like the bulk of carrying them though. Like I said,I have never gotten the hang of loading off a strip. I've practiced and tried but i can't end up getting all of the rounds in the chambers reliably in any decent amount of time. It is a training issue and one I've never cared to try and resolve.

Grant, that 642 is awesome. I wonder why they are doing some models with locks and some without? It must occur to them that those who know of the locks dislike them. I have taken them out of both of my current revolvers that have them. I did it after my 340pd locked up on me after about 60 rds.

As far as the moonclip in a pocket. I'm making moonclip belt holsters for the 586. If I have any kydex left I'll try to fix up something like a spacer to keep the rounds from moving inward and bending the clips in my pocket as soon as I get my 340 machined.

-Mike

Mikey
07-20-10, 11:15
Speaking of 642's and moon clips, the new S&W 642 Pro Series are cut for moon clips AND have no internal lock!

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/178042.jpg

Also, very interesting that they machine the cylinders for clips but don't offer a pin on front sight.

Just sayin'...

prestonoconnor
07-23-10, 22:39
Need factory big dot front sight 642!!!

williejc
07-23-10, 23:27
Reviewing the moon-clip website was informative. Dimension specs rule out using Win. brass. Federal and Remington brass may work, and Starline is first(only)choice. Unless I missed something, these facts would make mooning subject to ammo choice restrictions.

It was stated that this conversion allows one to shoot without using the clips. How can this be so unless the chambers are reamed to allow cases to headspace on their casemouth? In itself headspacing on the casemouth is ok for revolvers--as seen in S&W .45 acp revolvers since 1917. But, extra crud on or in a chamber's headspacing structure can prevent correct seating of loaded rounds. With the moon clip, one cruddy chamber may tie up the whole process.

Would not using the clip prevent one from replacing one or two fired rounds when desired and instead require firing all before ejecting or choosing to eject a partially fired moon-load?

I would hesitate to have a favorite revolver undergo this alteration without first shooting a sample.

williejc

Mikey
07-23-10, 23:46
Reviewing the moon-clip website was informative. Dimension specs rule out using Win. brass. Federal and Remington brass may work, and Starline is first(only)choice. Unless I missed something, these facts would make mooning subject to ammo choice restrictions.
He has different spec clips for your choice of brass.

http://www.moonclips.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=195&cat=%2E38+Special%2F%2E357+Magnum+%2D+6+%26+7+Shot%3C%2Fp%3E%3Cp%3EMedium+K+%26+L++%2D+Frame+Models%3C%2Fp%3E

http://www.moonclips.com/cart/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=25&cat=Smith+%26+Wesson

It was stated that this conversion allows one to shoot without using the clips. How can this be so unless the chambers are reamed to allow cases to headspace on their casemouth? In itself headspacing on the casemouth is ok for revolvers--as seen in S&W .45 acp revolvers since 1917. But, extra crud on or in a chamber's headspacing structure can prevent correct seating of loaded rounds. With the moon clip, one cruddy chamber may tie up the whole process.
The cases space off of the rim. He does not mill out the entire backside of the cylinder. There is plenty of area left on the outside of the cylinder to space individual cartridges off of.

Not to mention revolver cartridges for the most part have a roll crimp on the bullet making it impossible to reliably space off of the case mouth.

Would not using the clip prevent one from replacing one or two fired rounds when desired and instead require firing all before ejecting or choosing to eject a partially fired moon-load?

I would hesitate to have a favorite revolver undergo this alteration without first shooting a sample.

williejc

Not using the moon clips would simply make your revolver act the same way it did before you had it machined.

I've shot about 400 rounds through my 586 so far. About 85% with the clips the rest without. No problems. No brass bulging. No difficulties with extraction.

Mike

williejc
07-24-10, 00:06
Thank you for clarifying. The design is clearly well thought out. I have a M-10 snub that could benefit from this conversion.

rljatl
07-24-10, 09:12
RIMZ. These are the best moon clips, imo. They won't bend, easy to use, no tool needed.

http://www.ezmoonclip.com/

Wayne Dobbs
07-24-10, 16:43
The RIMZ clips are nice and easy for the range or play, but they don't hold the rounds securely. They will unload themselves in a pocket or if dropped.

I have several that I use at the range and I've used one in the gun when deer hunting with my 625 ACP Mountain Gun so that I can easily recharge the revolver if I want without carrying extra clips. They are very useful within their limitations.