PDA

View Full Version : Sig P238. Is it safe yet?

Viscon
07-18-10, 07:52
I've been kicking the idea around of getting a P238 ever since I handled one a while back. In researching the gun, I found that there have been alot of problems with this little pistol. Does anyone know if the new production runs are reliable? If so, who carries the newer ones?

What I really wanted was the HD, but from my understanding they had problems with the slide getting peened. Has this issue been resolved?

I own p229 that has over 10,000 with out ever having a FTF or FTE or any other kind of problem. The most reliable pistol I ever shot. This is what I came to expect from Sig. I hate it that they put a gun out before it was fully functional.

I really want a p238 but would prefer to wait if they don't have things worked out yet.

Any advise?

Thanks

Entropy
07-18-10, 09:25
Don't forget that the P229 was designed in 1990 by some very talented engineers. These were the days when Sig had the quality and durability reputation that H&K has now days. The P229 has changed little, so in many ways its reputation is a hold over from Sig's golden years. The P229 is one of the few .40S&W pistols that will go 100k rounds when taken care of.

A lot of Sig's newer product designs have had problems. The P250, P238, Sig Mosquito, and the 556. If I were in the market for a new Sig .380 it would be a P230/P232. It has two decades on the market and has earned the reputation of being one of the more reliable and durable .380s available. It's also a tack driver with good ergonomics and a quality DA/SA trigger. The P238 is more of a gamble in my opinion.

DWood
07-18-10, 09:47
There was a recall about the P238 safety very early on that Sig addressed quickly. While it may have been a marketing ploy to call it an upgrade rather than a recall, Sig still owned up that it was about safety and fixed the problem, just like Ruger did with the LCP. That's what reputable companies do.

Comparing the 238 and 230 is apples and oranges. Both are .380, but one is single action and small enough to pocket, while the other is not. I don't consider any .380 as a primary gun, so the 238 is the only option for me as a second gun in my pocket. The 230 is just too heavy for a gun smaller than 9 mm and for me to consider as a second gun.

Your question is based on an old problem that was fixed long ago. And yes, I own and carry a P238 so my input comes from someone who actualy owns and uses it.

http://www.sigsauer.com/customerservice/p238upgrade.aspx

Entropy
07-18-10, 09:58
I always question negative input (for any product) that seems to come from individuals who have never used them?

Nope, never owned one. I've shot them while I was taking the advanced instructor course at FLETC, and they are carried as BUGs by about a dozen Department of Interior officers that I perform armory work on their classic Sigs. Sig has been promoting the P238 to a lot of federal agencies while slowly withdrawing services for the P232. Sig even removed the P232 from the classic armorer class, and you must take separate classes for any of the .380 lineup. My impression of the P238s that I've shot were that they were more finicky about ammuntion, and more prone to limp wrist malfunction due to the more tiny grip. Not a trait that you want in a BUG when you are using your weapon of last resort. The P232s have performed much better for us over the years.

DWood
07-18-10, 10:15
The Sig 232 is a fine gun. I just don't think a gun in that size and weight in .380 is worth carrying. The 238 put it in the "try it out" realm for me and so far I'm satisfied.

The 232, at > 1" in length, and almost >1" in height, for me is not comparable with the P238 for a gun that goes in the pocket, as was my point.

And I changed the last part of my post so it would not seem like an attack at you, which it was not. My other point, lots of info posted as "fact" comes from individuals with no first hand knowledge of the product, just things they have heard. You obviously have some experience with the gun under discussion and I appreciate your input. I just can't see carrying the 232 as a BUG, and I won't carry .380 as a primary, even if it works for James Bond. :)

You quoted before my edit. ;)

Entropy
07-18-10, 10:36
The Sig 232 is a fine gun. I just don't think a gun in that size and weight in .380 is worth carrying. The 238 put it in the "try it out" realm for me and so far I'm satisfied.

The 232, at > 1" in length, and almost >1" in height, for me is not comparable with the P238 for a gun that goes in the pocket, as was my point.

And I changed the last part of my post so it would not seem like an attack at you, which it was not. My other point, lots of info posted as "fact" comes from individuals with no first hand knowledge of the product, just things they have heard. You obviously have some experience with the gun under discussion and I appreciate your input. I just can't see carrying the 232 as a BUG, and I won't carry .380 as a primary, even if it works for James Bond. :)

You quoted before my edit. ;)

No problem. Things can often be taken the wrong way in threads. If you don't type things exactly the right way, your intent can be thrown 180 degrees. :)

No mistake about it..........the .380acp sucks as a defensive caliber. Better than a knife though. If your P238 runs well and you are confident in its capabilities, then great. Sig does do a pretty good job of correcting problems as they occur.

Viscon
07-18-10, 18:10
Thank you both for your input. This gun will not be my primary carry. I carry a Nighthawk Custom T3 in 45 acp. I already have a LCP as a bug but was just intrigued by the single action trigger of the p238. I like the controls as they are similar to a 1911.

If the problem has been fixed, maybe I will give it a try?

DWood
07-18-10, 18:47
The 238's trigger is a big impovement over that long trigger pull of the DAO Ruger. As long as you know what you're getting into with a 1911 style 380 you should be good to go. If you already carry a 1911 then you are familiar with the short take up single stage trigger.

The recall was for an out of spec (according to Sig) batch of safties that allowed the hammer to drop when switching the saftey off.

Viscon
07-18-10, 19:45
The 238's trigger is a big impovement over that long trigger pull of the DAO Ruger. As long as you know what you're getting into with a 1911 style 380 you should be good to go. If you already carry a 1911 then you are familiar with the short take up single stage trigger.

The recall was for an out of spec (according to Sig) batch of safties that allowed the hammer to drop when switching the saftey off.

Yes, very familiar with the 1911 platform. I guess the biggest problem with wanting a p238 is that I want the HD model and it seems they are still having problems with the slide peening.

rdbse
07-18-10, 21:01
Szell: Is it safe?
Babe: You're talking to me?
Babe: Is what safe?
Babe: I don't know what you mean. I can't tell you something's safe or not, unless I know specifically what you're talking about.
Babe: Tell me what the "it" refers to.
Babe: Yes, it's safe, it's very safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe it.
Babe: No. It's not safe, it's... very dangerous, be careful.

Viscon
07-18-10, 23:12
Babe: You're talking to me?
Babe: Is what safe?
Babe: I don't know what you mean. I can't tell you something's safe or not, unless I know specifically what you're talking about.
Babe: Tell me what the "it" refers to.
Babe: Yes, it's safe, it's very safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe it.
Babe: No. It's not safe, it's... very dangerous, be careful.

And your point is?

Buckshot TX
07-18-10, 23:45
Yes, very familiar with the 1911 platform. I guess the biggest problem with wanting a p238 is that I want the HD model and it seems they are still having problems with the slide peening.

Why is it Sig is the only company that has problems making a gun run with a steel frame (220 & 238), but AOK w/ alloy frames. It's usually the other way around for any other manufacturer :confused:
I'm not a Sig hater - I've happily carried them in the line of duty & I'm still a Sig armorer, just don't understand some of their recent corporate actions & difficulties. I think it was a great idea to steal the Colt's abandoned Mustang & make it their own, but personally, I'm not much for carrying a condition 1 auto in my pocket (despite 36 years experience with condition 1 carry).

warpigM-4
07-19-10, 03:26
I really find it funny that people say 380 is NOT a good self defense weapon:rolleyes:,I know of 3 people who are in the ground now because of being shot with a 380

Magic_Salad0892
07-19-10, 03:27
The only SIG I'd bet my life on would be a SIG P226. (Specifically the ''Navy'' version with phosphate coated internals.)

LHS
07-19-10, 09:14
I really find it funny that people say 380 is NOT a good self defense weapon:rolleyes:,I know of 3 people who are in the ground now because of being shot with a 380

There are people in the ground because of being shot with a BB gun. That doesn't mean I want to use one in a fight.

warpigM-4
07-19-10, 09:30
There are people in the ground because of being shot with a BB gun. That doesn't mean I want to use one in a fight.
I carry a HK45c for my CCW have the sig230 for back up .Both weapons I use Ranger T series .But I would not want it to Be my main go to Gun ,But it is still a deadly weapon in the hands of someone that knows of Shot Placement .

the BB gun comment Made me spit my drink out my nose:D

dirksterg30
07-19-10, 15:54
My wife has a P238. I'd prefer she carry something larger, but she's getting there (her last gun was a .32acp). Her's is somewhat ammo sensitive, but as long as we don't run crappy ammo through it, with an in-spec magazine, it runs fine.

One issue we've had is with the magazine followers; there are somewhat inconsistent. There is a The new follower design (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5220007312) available, but the CSR I spoke with at SIG knew nothing about it, and sent me replacement mags with the old-style follower.

Note the variation of angle on the front of the follower that contacts the slide stop:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/SIG%20P238/IMG00253-20100102-1122.jpg