PDA

View Full Version : Today and tomorrow.

Caeser25
07-18-10, 09:35
Today:
I see a majority of my age group as partying college kids that don't really care or really think too deep about the future. The Government will fix it attitude. They care more about American Idol, Facebook, Twilight, clothing, UFC, what Hollywood peerson said or did this week etc. judging by the posts I see on Facebook of former classmates. The only ones I see that get it are primarily military or former military, miliitary spouses and a few really really smart kids, you know, the ones that had 3.5 and 4.0 gpa's, even in AP classes.

Tomorrow:
I still see "The Government will fix it" attitude.

MAYBE just MAYBE they will wake up once they get a real job and pay real taxes and see how Government affects our everday life. With Social Security going broke and apparently the lack of 401ks out there. I for one worry everyday what an almost broke generation could/can/will fall for.

On the other hand if nothing changes, ie. Government spending, is wrestled under control, that might be the least of my worries.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20100716/bs_bw/jul2010pi20100715116291

Retirement: Gen Y's Empty Piggy Bank
Buzz up!2 votes Share
retweet
EmailPrint..By Mark Scott Mark Scott – Fri Jul 16, 8:08 am ET
Baby boomers fretting over their pensions should spare a thought for Constance DeCherney. Like many of her generation, the 27-year-old Web strategist at Planned Parenthood in New York has done little to prepare for retirement. While she became eligible for a 401(k) in 2005, DeCherney only began putting money into it last year. She now contributes 3 percent of her pay, though that's just half of what Planned Parenthood will match, and DeCherney doesn't know how the investments are performing. "Just the idea of (saving for retirement) feels overwhelming," she says. "My fear of doing something wrong, or not doing enough, sort of paralyzes me."

DeCherney is typical of America's so-called Generation Y, the twentysomethings who have entered the workforce in the past 10 years. Already saddled with student debts averaging almost $20,000, according to New York-based think tank Demos, Gen Y is in a tougher financial position than previous generations. The average salary for 25- to 34-year-olds, for instance, fell 19 percent over the last 30 years, after adjusting for inflation, to $35,100, Demos estimates. That's if they can get jobs: Unemployment among 19- to 24-year-olds stands at 15.3 percent vs. the overall rate of 9.5 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While many of their parents have guaranteed retirement income from being in a company-funded pension for part of their careers, Gen Y is "the first do-it-yourself retirement generation," says Catherine Collinson, president of the Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies in Los Angeles.

Investment companies are stepping up efforts to engage Gen Yers in retirement planning. Charles Schwab has revamped its website to include weekly advice for younger workers on everything from retirement planning to paying down debt. Vanguard is testing out social media, using more blogs, a Facebook page, and soon, Twitter. "It's how this younger generation learns," says Vanguard Chief Executive Officer William McNabb III. Fidelity, the nation's largest 401(k) administrator, in June launched an iPhone app for tracking retirement savings and has replaced bulky pension literature with e-mail updates. "This generation lacks confidence about making financial decisions," says Beth McHugh, Fidelity's vice-president of market insights. "You have to explain why planning for retirement is so important."

That's presuming you can get their attention. Fewer than 4,000 Facebook users have clicked the "like" button for Fidelity's page and about 9,000 have done so for Vanguard's. Meanwhile, 4.2 million people say they like Apple iTunes on Facebook. Schwab, which began sending Twitter feeds in mid-June, has 277 followers. Whole Foods Market has 1.8 million.

Some baby boomer parents enlist the help of their financial planners in giving their kids a retirement reality check. Jim Stoops, a Schwab financial consultant in Chicago, says his 250-plus clients often bring their sons and daughters to his office for advice. "Parents just can't believe how difficult retirement will be for their children," he says. "They're trying to instill financial values in their kids."

Changes in the way 401(k) plans are designed may help the retirement prospects of Gen Y. Growing numbers of companies automatically enroll employees in plans rather than requiring them to sign up to establish an account, which has helped double participation to roughly 80 percent of eligible workers since 2006, according to the Employee Benefit Research Institute in Washington. (More than half of the U.S. labor force, though, works at companies that don't offer 401(k) plans.) More companies also use so-called auto-escalation programs that bump up contributions over time. And most 401(k)s now offer target-date funds that automatically adjust the investment mix to less volatile securities such as bonds as an investor ages.

Still, the best solution for Gen Yers who want a comfortable retirement is old-fashioned. "The trick is to be incredibly disciplined about saving early," says Vanguard boss McNabb. His proposal: "An addendum to the basic principles of investing that reads: 'I am not kidding.'"

The bottom line: Young workers lack the pensions their parents enjoyed, and few are setting aside enough for retirement via 401(k)s and similar plans.

variablebinary
07-18-10, 10:12
It's definitely not apples to apples when comparing previous generations to working conditions of Gen X and Gen Y

For one, it's near impossible to remain with any one company for any extended period of time in the current working environment.

My dad worked for the same company for 38 years, had a savings plan with the company, and now collects a very comfortable check every month.

My wife's grand father had the same job for 40 years.

Gen X or Gen Y employees live with the specter of being fired, laid off, and outsourced in a way previous generations did not. That fact alone will ensure that saving for retirement is incredibly difficult. I read somewhere that the average Gen X worker will be forced to look for a new job every 3-5 years.

Also, this whole idea of a "service economy" is a joke that previous generations didn't deal with either.

montanadave
07-18-10, 10:29
I have to wonder what my attitude would be if I were constantly bombarded by news reports forecasting the looming economic apocalypse and was told I needed to get a job to pay for Social Security and Medicare for my parents and grandparents, many of whom are in far better financial shape than myself, while, at the same time, being told these entitlement programs were unsustainable and would not be solvent when it came my turn to collect.

Meanwhile, my parents' and grandparents' generations were blocking any attempt to revamp these programs to make them sustainable, content to bleed the country dry and leave the check for me and mine. :confused:

theblackknight
07-18-10, 10:45
Why are people soo different now then before?

Ive always felt like I dont belong in the now.

Jobs rotate soo much and divorce is the nation biggest contact sport.

Belmont31R
07-18-10, 11:45
It's definitely not apples to apples when comparing previous generations to working conditions of Gen X and Gen Y

For one, it's near impossible to remain with any one company for any extended period of time in the current working environment.

My dad worked for the same company for 38 years, had a savings plan with the company, and now collects a very comfortable check every month.

Gen X or Gen Y employees live with the specter of being fired, laid off, and outsourced in a way previous generations did not. That fact alone will ensure that saving for retirement is incredibly difficult. I read somewhere that the average Gen X worker will be forced to look for a new job every 3-5 years.

Also, this whole idea of a "service economy" is a joke that previous generations didn't deal with either.

Yep. No such thing as a stable career anymore.

I can't find it but there is a great article that explains how it takes both parents working today to have the same disposable income as a family with only one working parent 20-40 years ago.

Inflation and taxes rise faster than wages are paying for them basically, and there is no "career" anymore for the average person. I was just talking to my dad about this since Im getting into the same field as he is in. He has worked for the same company his entire adult working life, and he said that doesnt happen anymore. Now people are going to whatever few companies have jobs, and then when that job dries up they go to another one. In fact his company asked him to quit school without a degree if they would go work for them, and from what he said it was quite common back then for most people to not have a degree. Now if you have a 4 year degree you get put in the bottom of the pile, and for the same work they are taking PHD's and masters. Basically a 4 year degree means your resume wont get thrown away.

Which gets us to the fact college costs have gone way way way up in the last 15 years. Graduates now are going into the work world deeply in debt just to get a job that pays more than 15/hr. My wife is going through nursing school, 4 years worth of college, and she is looking to get 20/hr starting out. Luckily we will not have college debt but a lot of people do. One of my buddies from HS got a bachelors, and now has 75k worth of debt. Now he works for a bank, and makes 16/hr. Not only do many jobs require degrees they didn't used to but they also want 3-5 years of experience too. It will be a good thing for us in our 20's and 30's to have the baby boomers retire because lots of jobs will open up but it does indeed suck. I applied for a job that didn't even require a degree, and was told they had a stack of resumes with bachelors and masters degrees.

variablebinary
07-18-10, 11:56
College costs don't need to be exorbitant, but that is route many people go on their accord.

I feel zero sympathy for people that purposely go to a school that is so beyond their financial means, that they get hampered with $150k+ in debt after graduation.

Especially when its someone that gets a Women's studies degree from NYU, or people seeking shortcuts from rip offs like Devry, ITT and University of Phoenix.

Belmont31R
07-18-10, 12:08
College costs don't need to be exorbitant, but that is route many people go on their accord.

I feel zero sympathy for people that purposely go to a school that is so beyond their financial means, that they get hampered with $150k+ in debt after graduation.

Especially when its someone that gets a Women's studies degree from NYU, or people seeking shortcuts from rip offs like Devry, ITT and University of Phoenix.

People are put in a real tough spot when the choice is either college debt or minimum wage + a few dollars the rest of their lives.

Im lucky as Im basically working for my dad now otherwise Id be getting 10-15hr. 15 if I was lucky. Right after I got out of the Army I worked for a company doing sat comm installs, and even though it was an entry level job with no experience required there were people in there with lots of experience and degrees. I also applied to another no degree required RF equipment company, and was told they had a stack of resumes with bachelors and masters in it. This to make 15/hr.

I have my GI Bill but yes Id go into 50k worth of debt if means I can work somewhere above minimum wage.

variablebinary
07-18-10, 13:20
People are put in a real tough spot when the choice is either college debt or minimum wage + a few dollars the rest of their lives.

Im lucky as Im basically working for my dad now otherwise Id be getting 10-15hr. 15 if I was lucky. Right after I got out of the Army I worked for a company doing sat comm installs, and even though it was an entry level job with no experience required there were people in there with lots of experience and degrees. I also applied to another no degree required RF equipment company, and was told they had a stack of resumes with bachelors and masters in it. This to make 15/hr.

I have my GI Bill but yes Id go into 50k worth of debt if means I can work somewhere above minimum wage.

I wasn't implying someone should not pursue a degree, but there are quite a few people out there than pass up solid institutions for so-called "good schools"

If you go to Dartmouth when in reality you can only afford Utah State, well it sucks to be you.

One of the biggest problems in America today is the sheer number of people who live off credit and think its okay. Our grandparents knew better. The greatest lesson we could ever learn is if you cant afford it, dont buy it. If you must leverage yourself, it should be to the bare minimum

kry226
07-18-10, 13:28

I think there's a lot of truth in your post, VB. But I would also like to point out that while it is certainly more difficult to stay in one place for an entire career, how many actually try? I know very few who actually try to hang on and work their way up, my own family included. The whole culture is ADD, and people hang out in one place until the next BBD comes along, thinking they're going to be better off. When in reality, if they would have stayed at an earlier job and worked hard to gain some seniority, they would have had a much greater potential for a lucrative, successful career.

There are many jobs that remain in high demand, regardless of the economy.

I am speculating, but I would suspect you're dad also had different values than today's generation. He probably thought that to not save and plan for retirement was sinful. Today's generation cares to much for the "right now" to even think about tomorrow.

Man, I could go on and on...

I wasn't implying someone should not pursue a degree, but there are quite a few people out there than pass up solid institutions for so-called "good schools"

If you go to Dartmouth when in reality you can only afford Utah State, well it sucks to be you.

One of the biggest problems in America today is the sheer number of people who live off credit and think its okay. Our grandparents knew better. The greatest lesson we could ever learn is if you cant afford it, dont buy it. If you must leverage yourself, it should be to the bare minimum

We posted at the same time, but again, you confirm what I was saying.

variablebinary
07-18-10, 13:52
But I would also like to point out that while it is certainly more difficult to stay in one place for an entire career, how many actually try? I know very few who actually try to hang on and work their way up, my own family included. The whole culture is ADD, and people hang out in one place until the next BBD comes along, thinking they're going to be better off. When in reality, if they would have stayed at an earlier job and worked hard to gain some seniority, they would have had a much greater potential for a lucrative, successful career.

Some do leave by choice, but 21st century corporate culture makes it hard to remain in one place. I am no fan of unions, they were a very powerful entity for my parents and grandparents generation.

My dad was in a union. He had ample vacation time, good raises, good medical, a pension, a great savings account, and put in overtime if he wanted to, but seldom was at work for longer than 50 hours a week. Why would anyone leave that? He didnt for 38 years.

Compare that with a 21st century corporation where the vacation time is shit (and taking it might get your fired because if they can live without you for 2 weeks, they dont need you) you might be on the clock for 60 hours, not including blackberry stupidity where you need to respond to an email in 15 seconds or someone complains, there is no pension, the medical is expensive etc etc.

It's no wonder people get fed up and bail on companies. Even if you stick it out, a CEO would rather fire 10,000 workers than let his $30 million compensation plan lose a penny. Management has zero stake in the company 90% of the time, so shitting on the company and the workers mean nothing to them. They'd rather replace everyone with Indians, Chinese or Mexicans and pad their golden parachutes

Spiffums
07-18-10, 17:08

And all it takes is one prick in management to get you fired, laid off or outsourced because they had a bright idea to try to suck up to their bosses. There is more stab you at work than anything else. I am surprised there aren't more ass kickings at Wal-Mart.