PDA

View Full Version : How do you care for your ball cap?

tampam4
07-18-10, 09:57
I'm sure many of us wear ball caps pretty much whenever we are outside, and almost always when shooting. I'm also sure that after many months of hard use, they are looking damn humble:ph34r:

Looking around over my hat collection made me wonder. How do you care for your hat? Do you hand wash it? Wash it in a washing machine with a hat frame to retain shape? Not worry about the shape and wash it with everything else?

Oscar 319
07-18-10, 10:16
I'm sure many of us wear ball caps pretty much whenever we are outside, and almost always when shooting. I'm also sure that after many months of hard use, they are looking damn humble:ph34r:

Looking around over my hat collection made me wonder. How do you care for your hat? Do you hand wash it? Wash it in a washing machine with a hat frame to retain shape? Not worry about the shape and wash it with everything else?

I believe what you are describing is "character". Your hat earns it.

I care for mine by putting it on the dash of truck when driving. When I get home, I turn it upside-down and dump the contents of my pockets into the hat. Knives, wallet, spare mag, loose rounds, keys and such.

Replace as needed.

variablebinary
07-18-10, 10:21
I just buy a new one.

perna
07-18-10, 10:26
I wear mine until they get basically disgusting. I try not to wash and dry them because they usually shrink, even with the air dry tumble. After that they are good to go for a couple months and the washer damage usually makes them fall apart.

variablebinary
07-18-10, 10:32
I wear mine until they get basically disgusting. I try not to wash and dry them because they usually shrink, even with the air dry tumble. After that they are good to go for a couple months and the washer damage usually makes them fall apart.

That's pretty much why I buy new ones.

Wear till the wife complains about how gross it is, throw away, get a new one.

5pins
07-18-10, 10:34
I just replace them when I find something new. They never fit right if I wash them.

perna
07-18-10, 10:37
That's pretty much why I buy new ones.

Wear till the wife complains about how gross it is, throw away, get a new one.

The ones that survive the washing machine and dont shrink are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!
They are so soft and still form fitting. The bill might be frayed a bit but that just makes it cool.

Dozer
07-18-10, 10:38
I machine wash and air dry when they are just too nasty to wear.

SeriousStudent
07-18-10, 11:15
I have not really found it to be a problem.

For some bizarre reason, I keep getting these boxes from Magpul, Larue, G&R, Noveske, BCM, Aimpoint, Surefire, etc. They usually have a cap in them, I guess to cushion the other contents. I bet I have 20-25 caps laying on the top of a bookshelf here in the office.

They keep sending me caps, and I keep wearing them. ;)

I have started throwing them in the care packages I send to guys down range. They seem to like them the best, along with the Propel water flavor packets.

awm14hp
07-18-10, 11:21
I have spray bottle with ALC 90% in it I just hit it with that. Once it gets too bad I go with a new one. I have to wear fitted hats I know the new MLB hats dont stink like the old WOOL ones would get.

sandman99and9
07-18-10, 11:25
I tried putting a few of my funky smelling caps in the dishwasher on the top rack and it worked great. Just hang them on a hanger to dry after.

S.M.

Surf
07-18-10, 12:21
I believe what you are describing is "character". Your hat earns it.

I care for mine by putting it on the dash of truck when driving. When I get home, I turn it upside-down and dump the contents of my pockets into the hat. Knives, wallet, spare mag, loose rounds, keys and such.

Replace as needed.
I machine wash and air dry when they are just too nasty to wear.Both of the above describes me. I wear a hat everyday. My favorite range hats look sweat stained and sun faded, but I throw them in the wash from time to time and they are usually pretty clean. I have had my favorite one for a few years and it is pretty worn looking, but it is a range only hat.

Quiet-Matt
07-18-10, 12:44
I wash my caps just like the suspension in my hard hat. When they start smelling like vomit I take them in the shower with me and shampoo them. The easiest way to do this is to get a good lather in your hair and cram the headgear on your grape and move it arround. Remove said headgear and scrub severely funky areas by hand. Throw it in the tub or on the deck to dry and you are good to go. I find thet Pert works best for this application. I even keep a small bottle on my work truck for when I forget to take my headgear home.:bad:

jaydoc1
07-18-10, 14:34
I wash my caps just like the suspension in my hard hat. When they start smelling like vomit I take them in the shower with me and shampoo them. The easiest way to do this is to get a good lather in your hair and cram the headgear on your grape and move it arround. Remove said headgear and scrub severely funky areas by hand. Throw it in the tub or on the deck to dry and you are good to go. I find thet Pert works best for this application. I even keep a small bottle on my work truck for when I forget to take my headgear home.:bad:

Best idea I've heard yet. I usually do the dishwasher thing but I'm trying the shower thing next time.

Course my wife might look at me a little strange if I suddenly buy a bottle of Pert. :p

sjc3081
07-18-10, 15:06
Here is the secret to washing hats, sneakers, boots and your cars floor mats. The FRONT LOADING washing machine. The front loader has no agitator to beat your hats and other stuff to death ,it just tumbles your things clean.

Spiffums
07-18-10, 17:05
CCA (Coal Creek Armory) is one of the largest gun shops around here. I wore a ball cap from there till there was a salt ring around it. Best wearing/feeling cap I ever had. I wore it into the store enough that the manager gave me a deal on a new one........... but it doesn't fit as well.

Nathan_Bell
07-18-10, 17:13
Depends on how manky they have gotten. If pretty nasty will throw into the washing machine and then dry on a coffee can.
If truly nasty, throw it in the dishwasher and use the Bleach based nasty cleaner and use the hot steam setting. Dry on coffee can

Cagemonkey
07-18-10, 17:22
You can wash them in your dishwasher so they don't get all out of shape.

tampam4
07-18-10, 17:38
Interesting to see how people to it differently. While I agree a weathered cap shows more character, when it smells like it was pulled off of a long-dead character I draw the line:p

Dug up one of these in the garage today http://www.organizeit.com/images/capwasher.jpg

bkb0000
07-18-10, 17:48
dishwasher.. but they usually get lost/stolen/destroyed before i even get an opportunity. my larue hat was diseased, and i was about to throw it away, but my wife stuck it in the dishwasher and it came out damn near brand new, but several shades lighter than it was when new.

then about two days later, i got attacked by yellow jackets on a job, and used it to whack at them. i smacked the buckle on something hard, don remember what, which loosened it up, and with the next swing i saw it glint in the sun as it flew about 30 meters off into infinity. :mad:

gotta order another rail.

subzero
07-18-10, 19:46
I mut have 20 or 30 hats in the house right now. I wear them til they get gross, then get another. I make them last longer by keeping 5 or 6 hats in a rotation instead of wearing the same one every day.

I used to wash hats, but they usually don't come out the same, as noted above. I think you have to look at them as a wear item like any other piece of clothing. That said, I will hold on to a few hats that are past their prime because they have some special history. They go on a display shelf in the office. The shelf is crowded, but I'm not throwing any of them out.

orionz06
07-18-10, 21:37
Simple green (50/50 with water) soak for a bit then hit it with the hose in the sink, toss it in the washing machine and dry on a coffee can sized item (dont drink coffee).

JSantoro
07-18-10, 22:08
Yer supposed to WASH the things?

Rut-roh.....

M4Fundi
07-19-10, 00:18
when my noveske cap wears out i'll order another n4... I hope it wears out soon:p

GermanSynergy
07-19-10, 20:53

I wash mine by hand, wring it out, place it on my melon and reshape it. Works like a champ.