PDA

View Full Version : Raven Concel. Holster?

Pappabear
07-18-10, 10:37
I saw where many of you guys like your R.C. Holsters. I ordered one for my HK45 that is made to accept it with my Surefire X300. The fit on the holster is outstanding. Very impressed with the holster. My question, does the holster wear on the guns finsish aggressively? It seemed to be a little rough, and tight fitting. Does anyone treat the holster with a light coat of ........? I wiped it out and I think there was some grit that needed removed, so it might be better than my initial run.

My Bladetechs seem a touch smoother and less abbrassive. The inside of the holster is shining smooth and does little to take the finish off my guns. Any thoughts guys?

Mikey
07-18-10, 11:00
If you care about the finish of your pistol. Don't carry it. I haven't had a holster yet that didn't wear on the finish in some degree or another. My M&P in a RCS holster has done pretty well but it has a few spots where it is wearing. Nothing detrimental, just cosmetics, but it is going to happen regardless of holster choice.

-Mike

javentre
07-18-10, 11:03
My question, does the holster wear on the guns finsish aggressively? In my experience, yes.

My Bladetechs seem a touch smoother and less abbrassive.

Another thing I prefer about BT over RCS is the positive click when the gun is fully seated.

I sold off all of my RCS gear, I don't get all of the excitement over their stuff.

Irish
07-18-10, 11:03
Check out the last page of the RCS Holster thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49629&page=16

Hmac
07-18-10, 11:32
I'd consider RCS if I had any interest in IWB carry or if I were going to carry with a light attached. Otherwise, I think Blade Tech has better retention and draws smoother.

CyberM4
07-18-10, 11:48
I don't have any of your problems with my RCS Phantom for my HK45. Draws well for me.

Kilo6
07-20-10, 13:05
I am currently running an NTAC kydex with Tlr-1 light option. The tension detents seem to be focused around the Tlr-1 mounting screw. I have been running it pretty hard especially during a recent class while raining and muddy out. I have only seen slight finish problems on the tlr's mounting screw, the rest of the gun is fine. Where are the tension detents for the Raven holsters? Few more pics NTAC pics (http://www.comentakeit.com/ntac-kydex-holster.html)

http://www.comentakeit.com/uploads/4/3/4/9/4349417/3147173.jpg?529
http://www.comentakeit.com/uploads/4/3/4/9/4349417/3522321.jpg?529

TehLlama
07-20-10, 17:11
My 1911/X300 one works well, but it's making my already worn BearCoated pistol look even more loved.

John_Wayne777
07-20-10, 17:17
I've been using RCS holsters and mag pouches since 2007...and I've experienced no abnormal finish wear.

Joe R.
07-20-10, 18:21
I've also been running RCS rigs since 2007 and have noticed no abnormal wear to my pistols finish.

You will want to wipe the holster out if you get sand or dirt in it as they will absolutely grind into the finish with enough draw strokes...of course leather holsters will do this as well.

JHC
07-20-10, 18:43
If you care about the finish of your pistol. Don't carry it.

-Mike

Oh OK. Got it. :rolleyes:

For those with these holsters for carrying a Surefire attached, do they work for the gun alone without the light? Or do they depend on the light snapping in for retention?

thanks

John_Wayne777
07-20-10, 18:47
RCS holsters for a mounted light won't work without the light attached.

skyugo
07-20-10, 19:15
i haven't noticed any undue finish wear on my glock 19, which has been in and out of a raven many, many times.
a little bit of very light wear on the trigger guard is about it.
good holster!

Mikey
07-20-10, 19:34
thanks

Your point being?

JHC
07-20-10, 20:19
No point. Just taking the shot. Which is what your's was at the OP.

Thanks JW, I need to warn somebody about being sure they want that specialized a rig.

HK45
07-21-10, 15:59
No wear on my HK45's which I have had in Raven holsters for over a year now. Any holster is going to wear the finish on a pistol of the finish is not that great. Not an issue on HK's or Glocks i can tell you that. But I have had a Raven wear the finish of a full size M&P .45 pretty noticeably.

I saw where many of you guys like your R.C. Holsters. I ordered one for my HK45 that is made to accept it with my Surefire X300. The fit on the holster is outstanding. Very impressed with the holster. My question, does the holster wear on the guns finsish aggressively? It seemed to be a little rough, and tight fitting. Does anyone treat the holster with a light coat of ........? I wiped it out and I think there was some grit that needed removed, so it might be better than my initial run.

My Bladetechs seem a touch smoother and less abbrassive. The inside of the holster is shining smooth and does little to take the finish off my guns. Any thoughts guys?

devilsdeeds
07-21-10, 16:41
I've only had my RCS holster for less than a week and have probably holstered/unholstered it about 30 times and it is already putting lines on my stainless 1911(It's actually polishing it)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/devilheals/Guns/SDC11705-1.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/devilheals/Guns/SDC11704-1.jpg

Hmac
07-21-10, 16:52

For those with these holsters for carrying a Surefire attached, do they work for the gun alone without the light? Or do they depend on the light snapping in for retention?

thanks

Won't work without the light attached.

JackOSU
07-21-10, 18:43
No point. Just taking the shot. Which is what your's was at the OP.

I think you read the post wrong. I think he was saying that if one is worried about the finish on the gun then don't carry it for the only way to truly prevent anything happening to the gun is to not use it at all and keep it as the safe queen.

I think you'd be hard to argue that if you carry a gun for a living or self defense you're not going to have some wear on it. In the end it doesn't affect the reliability/function even if you obtain such wear on the slide etc.

Maybe before you take another shot you would read someone's context in which they speak. Good day.

JHC
07-21-10, 19:23
Probably not.

Seawolf
07-21-10, 20:54
I've only had my RCS holster for less than a week and have probably holstered/unholstered it about 30 times and it is already putting lines on my stainless 1911(It's actually polishing it)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/devilheals/Guns/SDC11705-1.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/devilheals/Guns/SDC11704-1.jpg

It used to be that holster wear was a badge of honor. Now days it's all about how pretty and shiny everything is. lol

Seriously, for a gun that expensive and especially stainless steel I would probably choose leather anyway, but I carry my G23 in a NTAC and have holstered and unholstered probably a few hundred times with no wear on my Glock. Then again it is a Glock and you can hammer nails with that tenefer. lol

GermanSynergy
07-21-10, 21:00
Got one for my Glock 17. It's rough on the finish, but on a Glock it's a moot point.

I like it alot- it fits snug on the body and appears to be well made.

oboe
07-21-10, 22:30
What is the best holster material for avoiding wear on the pistol?

Jerm
07-21-10, 23:03
That really is cute, and I KNOW you'll be posting some photos of you in full carry drag. Uh, dress. I mean, photos of you in the use of this method, which will go viral on the Internet

Been there...Haven't seen my work?

Seriously...

IMO

On the list of things to look for in a holster...That should be last on the list(if there at all).

TAZ
07-21-10, 23:09
ALL Kydex will wear on the gun's finish, I dont care what the maker claims. I have a couple of RCS phantoms for my G21 and it does wear the finish, especially since I also have tru grips on the gun and the grit can work into the holster and act like sandpaper rubbing on the slide as I draw or reholster.

Leather is a bit softer on finishes as are suede lined holsters. All will eventually wear though as grime a crap can get in there and rub.

Just find a holster that fits and works well for you. Guns can be refinished if youre really anal about the look of it.

Mikey
07-22-10, 00:24
Probably not.
Probably so.

Wasn't trying to "take a shot" at anyone. Just stating my opinion.

Don't take the internet so seriously, dude.

oef24
07-22-10, 00:49
I have been running a RCS Phantom for the Glock 17 for about 6 months now and I have not noticed any wearing on the handgun. Even if it did wear the finish, I think it would be a fair tradeoff because it does fit snug and is easy to conceal OWB. If I was worried about the holster wearing the handgun, then it wouldn't be a handgun for serious work.

O

Zach
07-22-10, 03:27
A EDC gun is a tool for me. As stated every gun you carry daily whether in a kydex or leather holster will show wears after some time. Glock's will hold their finish longer than the stainless finishes but they will show too. If anybody is anal about their expensive 1911's, get a polymer gun for EDC and the 1911 just for range shooting. There are plenty of reliable polymer guns that won't break the bank.

Gents let's not forget why we carry.

John_Wayne777
07-22-10, 06:51
What is the best holster material for avoiding wear on the pistol?

Probably suede lined leather...if it's clean. If not, it'll grind crud into your finish every time you reholster. There is no getting around holster wear, folks...it happens. No matter what holster you use, if you do the normal carry stuff you're going to wear on the finish.

Kydex holsters tend to retain the gun around the trigger guard, which leads to wear on that area if you're using a metal gun:

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/carrya1911/IMGP2185.jpg
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/carrya1911/IMGP2187.jpg

Seawolf
07-22-10, 08:13
Like I said, holster wear is like a badge of honor. It means you are actually using and carrying the gun and that's a good thing.

TomF
07-22-10, 10:28
Hi guys, I think I can provide some input here.

Kydex holsters, over time, generally wear a firearm less than leather. However, they typically start to wear the gun right from the get go, then break in a bit and the wear will stop at a certain point.

What is happening is the pistol and holster are breaking in, 'mating' to each other a bit if you will. Once they have been used together for a while, the wear typically stops and doesn't get much worse, even after years of use. This goes for every Kydex holster I've used, not just ours.

Leather, over time, will collect oil, sweat, powder fouling, dirt, etc and create somewhat of a lapping compound inside the holster. This will continually wear the finish over time. Leather, unlike Kydex, can't be rinsed out very easily to clean the oil and dirt out of the material. The obvious answer to this is to keep your holsters as clean as you can, but not everyone has the ability to stay in clean environments at all times.

My personal take is that my firearm is a tool, no different than a screwdriver, a wrench, or a hammer. Daily carry of said items will become worn in some way or another. I shop for gear based on how well it will work for me, not what wear (or lack thereof) it will put on my firearm. Over the course of the years I have carried in many different types of holsters, and they have all left their mark on my firearms in some sort of way. Magazine changes chew up the bottom of my mag well, my rear sight gets worn from clothing and my hand coming in contact with it often, the ejection port of my rifles become dinged up from brass and steel cases hitting them at high rates of speed, and my rifle triggers become polished from dirty, gloved hands operating them often. It just comes with the territory.

Muzzy
08-05-10, 18:27
I think you will find that coating the inside of your Kydex with silicone spray (esp. on the wear points) will retard some of that wearing until the gun and holster find their yin and yang point. Use ONLY 3M silicone spray because all the other silicone spray crap a) stinks like the dickens (including the residue) for a very very long time b) has lot of other petrolium crap in it. I like the 3M wet type (#08877) but you can use the dry type (#08897).

This also works on sticky leather holsters and mags.

When you draw and reholster you need to say: "Ahhh the silicone." :dirol: Preferably not when the missus is in the room. :p

Re the 3M:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=7P92RJHX5Tgs4JS4WF0WC6gl7P6D5QKK85bl

lContains no petroleum oils
lFood grade silicone
lHandy aerosol
lWill not freeze at -28°F
lWill not degrade at 350°F

JohnN
08-05-10, 19:14
Maybe its just me but I like the looks of a gun with wear, gives it character.