PDA

View Full Version : The Falklands War

parishioner
07-18-10, 13:25
I caught the tail end of a documentary on tv the other day and to be honest, I never knew of this conflict. Just from the recap it seemed like pretty intense fighting (a good bit of aircraft and vessels destroyed).

It has piqued my interest and I'm wondering if anyone knows of good online resources with video documenting this war. The most I could find were short clips.

I may go to the library to see what they have if all else fails.

Thanks.

usmcvet
07-18-10, 18:02
Okay you just made a bunch of us feel OLD!

http://www.naval-history.net/NAVAL1982FALKLANDS.htm

http://www.indepthinfo.com/military-history/falklands-war.shtml

http://www.diakonos.com/tun-tavern/readinglist.php3

mr_smiles
07-18-10, 19:35
Margaret Thatcher didn't screw around, and the dictatorship of Argentina figured they could screw around with the woman.

End of story :P

Horrible that so many had to die for such a small piece of land.

BrianS
07-18-10, 21:43
Last hurrah of the British Empire I think. AFAIK the Brits no longer have the ability to send an expedition supported by fixed wing aircraft. I saw recently in the news that the Argies were making noise about the Falklands again. If they seized it again the Brits probably couldn't stop them.

parishioner
07-19-10, 00:43
Last hurrah of the British Empire I think. AFAIK the Brits no longer have the ability to send an expedition supported by fixed wing aircraft. I saw recently in the news that the Argies were making noise about the Falklands again. If they seized it again the Brits probably couldn't stop them.

Hmmmm...Interesting. Thanks for the info guys.

Surf
07-19-10, 02:35
Yep. :(

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-19-10, 10:29

They had better do it before the new Brit carriers come on line in a few years. I'd have to think the Brits would have to pull out of A-stan before they did anything.

That must be some pretty tasty or skilled sheep they have there.

TOrrock
07-19-10, 10:44

Yeah, no shit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/FAL/Falklands2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/FAL/L1A1Falklands.jpg

chadbag
07-19-10, 10:58
Yeah, no shit.

I believe we were on a HS Honor Society trip to NYC and DC when the HMS Sheffield was hit.

Thatcher did not mess around and Ronnie stood with her. Oh how I miss both of them.

TOrrock
07-19-10, 11:01
I remember the huge to-do about the French Exocet hitting the British destroyer and knocking it out.

First time a modern anti ship missile had been used successfully I believe, and the country of origin and the target were NATO members and allies.

RogerinTPA
07-19-10, 14:48
I remember the huge to-do about the French Exocet hitting the British destroyer and knocking it out.

First time a modern anti ship missile had been used successfully I believe, and the country of origin and the target were NATO members and allies.

Agreed. I was riding my Big Wheel at the time:p but I was impressed with the performance of the Exocet and the war.

I wonder if the OP heard of the banana wars, Vietnam or Somalia...:blink:

dwhitehorne
07-19-10, 15:01
I spent two weeks in Argentina training in 1989 on a UNITAS float. Went to the Argentine military museum deticated to the conflict. Their version of who won was interesting. They actually call it the Las Malvinas war and we were instructed not to mention it during the training exercise. The history channel has a hour long show on the Falklands that I've seen a few times channel surfing. David

CarlosDJackal
07-19-10, 15:57

Damn young whipper-snapper!! :nono:

CarlosDJackal
07-19-10, 16:00

Fired from a French made Mirage no less!!

I remember seeing videos of the Argentinian A4 Skyraiders attacking British ships. You could see the AA rounds hitting the hillsides they
were flying by.

GermanSynergy
07-19-10, 18:05
The Brits and the Argies both used FAL's, BHP's & MAG 58's in combat against eachother- pretty profound for a time when the main enemy of the UK was the USSR & WP.

halo2304
07-19-10, 18:43
When I was in school, elementry and high school, we never went much further than the second world war. A few times we touched on the Korea and Vietnam. There's a pretty big gap for my in US & World history between Vietnam and the first Gulf war. :rolleyes:

tracker722
07-19-10, 19:19

TOrrock
07-19-10, 19:38
The Brits were also known to take up Argentine FALs and drop theirs because the Argentines' had full-auto capability.

I heard that from one of those stupid Military Channel "Top Ten" shows that are done by the Brits. I'd be very, very leery of taking anything from that show with anything other than a grain of salt.

GermanSynergy
07-19-10, 20:01
I don't see how a British squaddie would simply "drop" his issued L1A1, seeing how he's signed for it and all. :D

BrianS
07-19-10, 20:22
"The Battle for the Falklands" by Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins reports in Chapter 13, pg 245 that members of 2 Para, armed with 9mm Sterling SMGs, picked up Argie FALs because of the nature of the fighting on open ground with the Argies in field fortifications.

The exact quote is that they "threw away" the SMGs, but they probably just slung them or left them in the rear with some of their other equipment before beginning the assault on the next position.

Earlier in the book it is discussed how 2 Para was almost entirely armed with 9mm SMGs, and that the commander, worried they would be underarmed for the terrain of the Falklands, somehow managed to double the number of FN GPMGs and add 10 American M79 grenade launchers to the units TOE.

I read this book a few years ago on a flight to LA and back.

Somewhere along the way I think this incident, which probably really happened, became an urban legend of soldiers discarding their L1A1s (that 2 Para didn't have according to this book) to pick up FALs.

tracker722
07-19-10, 20:30

Iraq Ninja
07-19-10, 20:32
I was in the 2nd Ranger Bn when the war started, and we were put on alert to go help if needed.

There are two stories about the Falklands that I rarely hear told. If anyone has any further details, let us know...

American Snipers.
I have heard this many times from Brits who were there. It involves Americans who were fighting for the Argies. As I recall, there were two Americans who were captured and executed, or possibly killed in battle. Most folks relate the captured version of the story...

US raid on listening post
This story came from one former sailor I used to know very well. He claims that the US sent in a team to take out an Argie communications site on some islands south of the Falklands. They found two soldiers asleep, and quickly dispatched them.

Oh, and many Brits (para reg) say that Col H Jones was killed by friendly fire, not the machine gun nest he was trying to take out. It was not an accident.

tracker722
07-19-10, 20:38

Iraq Ninja
07-19-10, 21:46
Sorry for the confusion. The Americans were not from the military, but "Mercs" as the Brits called them. I suspect they may have been sympathetic to the Argies and not just some hired guns brought in for the war. None the less, they were Americans and the Brits were not in a very good mood when they were captured.

usmcvet
07-19-10, 22:02
I don't see how a British squaddie would simply "drop" his issued L1A1, seeing how he's signed for it and all. :D

I had a British soldier offer me a Browning High Power for my flak jacket in early '91. I think we were the only ones with helmets and flak jackets. I did not trade. Besides getting wounded I know I'd end up in the brig!

We had SMAW gunners turn their 9mm's in for M16's. Among the reasons was the fact they were issued only two magazines and 21 rounds. The only answere we had for the 21 round BS was the .45. That would have nicely filled three magazines.

Man a FAL on FA that would be fun! On a one way range. I think semi would be alot better for most fights.

CarlosDJackal
07-19-10, 22:19
The Brits and the Argies both used FAL's, BHP's & MAG 58's in combat against eachother- pretty profound for a time when the main enemy of the UK was the USSR & WP.

I also remember that the Paras were also still using Sterling SMGs during that war.

TOrrock
07-19-10, 22:39
"The Battle for the Falklands" by Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins reports in Chapter 13, pg 245 that members of 2 Para, armed with 9mm Sterling SMGs, picked up Argie FALs because of the nature of the fighting on open ground with the Argies in field fortifications.

The exact quote is that they "threw away" the SMGs, but they probably just slung them or left them in the rear with some of their other equipment before beginning the assault on the next position.

Earlier in the book it is discussed how 2 Para was almost entirely armed with 9mm SMGs, and that the commander, worried they would be underarmed for the terrain of the Falklands, somehow managed to double the number of FN GPMGs and add 10 American M79 grenade launchers to the units TOE.

I read this book a few years ago on a flight to LA and back.

Somewhere along the way I think this incident, which probably really happened, became an urban legend of soldiers discarding their L1A1s (that 2 Para didn't have according to this book) to pick up FALs.

You shouldn't have to choose......:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/FAL/P1020644.jpg

parishioner
07-19-10, 22:54
When I was in school, elementry and high school, we never went much further than the second world war. A few times we touched on the Korea and Vietnam. There's a pretty big gap for my in US & World history between Vietnam and the first Gulf war. :rolleyes:

Yes. I have a year left on my college degree and haven't heard a word of the Falklands conflict at any point in my educational career.

parishioner
07-19-10, 23:05
Oh, and many Brits (para reg) say that Col H Jones was killed by friendly fire, not the machine gun nest he was trying to take out. It was not an accident.

I watched a couple clips on the military channel's website and they talked about Col H's fighting style and how he believed in "leading from the front."

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-20-10, 00:56
I heard that from one of those stupid Military Channel "Top Ten" shows that are done by the Brits. I'd be very, very leery of taking anything from that show with anything other than a grain of salt.

I don't trust them to count from 1 to 10.

Besides the Sheffield, the imagery I remember was the low passes by the Argie A4s over the moored ships after the troops landed.

Was this the last, and really only since WWII, expeditionary, go half way round the world and give someone of similar capability and ass whooping war - especially with a largely naval component?

As I remember it, Reagan- or at least some of his guys- were not as pure-pro Brit as Maggie would have wanted?

Oscar 319
07-20-10, 02:18

This is what I remember; FAL Vs FAL. The Brit's FAL's were semi only. There are stories of the Brit's ditching thier FAL's for the Argentinian full auto versions.

Oscar 319
07-20-10, 02:21
The Brits were also known to take up Argentine FALs and drop theirs because the Argentines' had full-auto capability.

You beat me to it.

BrianS
07-21-10, 03:27

At some point that just becomes cruel man, although if you had a Mag 58 I would just go straight to hating you.

:p

dwhitehorne
07-21-10, 07:35
Man a FAL on FA that would be fun! On a one way range. I think semi would be alot better for most fights.

FAL on full auto is just like the M14 on auto. By the 4th or 5th round you are no where near the target. I probably shot over the berm more than once. David

Ed L.
07-21-10, 07:47
Is that an SBR'd Sterling?

thanks

TOrrock
07-21-10, 09:35
Is that an SBR'd Sterling?

thanks

It's one of the select fire Sterling Mk.4 built by John Andrewski. Pristine parts kit on a registered DLO Sterling tube.

Dumping a mag at our New Years Day Shoot......Sterlings are the most controllable open bolt subgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z81KkjkexN8

My girlfriend keeping it on semi auto and wearing out some steel at the July 4th Shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO4HYOx7Ekg

variablebinary
07-21-10, 10:55
I was just little guy when the Falklands went down. But I remember the news reports

Ahh the 80's. What a great decade

subzero
07-21-10, 11:29
Falklands was the last conflict where a torpedo fired by a submarine sank an enemy combatant, and I believe the only time a nuclear powered submarine has ever sunk an enemy warship.

And the ship used to be one of ours.

So historically, it's a very interesting conflict in terms of politics, armaments and tactics.

Iraq Ninja
07-21-10, 12:43
I also remember the BBC "discouraged from airplay" (banned) a song from the radio. It was called Six Months in a Leaky Boat by Spilt Enz.

The BBC thought the song could be construed as making fun of the war and the fiasco that the ship convoy turned out to be. But, the song was written a month before the war started.

jwfuhrman
07-21-10, 13:18
Thatcher did not mess around and Ronnie stood with her. Oh how I miss both of them.

I believe there are MANY people who feel that way.... I know I do....

usmcvet
07-21-10, 13:19
Falklands was the last conflict where a torpedo fired by a submarine sank an enemy combatant, and I believe the only time a nuclear powered submarine has ever sunk an enemy warship.

And the ship used to be one of ours.

So historically, it's a very interesting conflict in terms of politics, armaments and tactics.

You've got me thinking about the torpedo. What are the North Koreans accused of using against the ship they sank a few months ago? Was it a sub?

Iraq Ninja
07-21-10, 13:26
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/08/23/world/around-the-world-no-us-mercenaries-in-falklands-british-say.html?n=Top%2fNews%2fWorld%2fCountries%20and%20Territories%2fFalkland%20Islands

AROUND THE WORLD; No U.S. Mercenaries In Falklands, British Say

Published: August 23, 1982

The Ministry of Defense today rejected a newspaper report today that United States mercenaries fought alongside Argentine soldiers in the Falklands conflict.

The Observer reported that a British soldier in the Third Parachute Regiment was convinced that two prisoners taken during the battle of Mount Longdon were United States citizens and part of a mercenary force.

A Ministry of Defense spokesman said: ''We have no formal knowledge of an incident of this kind. Clearly if there had been any known incident of this type we would have done something before now.''

Officials noted that Argentina's special 601st Regiment contained several Anglo-Argentines, some of whom were educated in the United States.

Well, the MOD claims to not have any formal knowledge of it. I suspect this means that they didn't find any bodies or passports to back up the story and didn't want to dig up the mass graves...

Iraq Ninja
07-21-10, 13:41
This is from a BBC reporter who was with the Brit troops at the Falklands...

Much has been made about the way the US helped with intelligence. But I must say I saw very little of this, as the general intelligence on the exact disposition of the Argentinians, and indeed how and why precisely they had ended up invading the Malvinas/Falklands in the first place, seemed less than profound. The only Americans I came across were US mercenaries serving as snipers with one of the Argentinian infantry battalions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/a-very-british-war-the-falklands-remembered-442535.html

danpass
07-21-10, 14:15
I've read "Sea Harrier over the Falklands" by Sharkey Ward, commander 801 Squadron and the book of the Admiral in charge, whatever his name is.

If it wasn't for people like Ward, Admiral whatever-his-name-is would have lost a lot more ships to Argie airpower :rolleyes:

Can you tell my opinion of the Admiral? They put a sub commander in charge of a surface fleet with air assets and removed any submarines from his direct command. If he had had legitimate wisdom he would have designated an air boss, delegated responsibility and gotten out of the way.

Instead he micromanaged. "They can attack the airfield but MUST use xyz ordnance" ............. "oh and it has to be in daylight".

Someone will be along to criticize my evaluation of the Admiral but .. whatever lol

HK45
07-21-10, 15:30

Sales of Exocet missiles went through the roof after that. No pun intended.

Iraq Ninja
07-21-10, 15:33
Dan,

I think part of that is the Brit mindset and how they run their wars.

FYI, if you talk with any of the Brits who were in Afghanistan, they all have high praises for our Air Force, when compared to their own air assets. The American pilots were generally more Gung Ho to get into a scrap to help them out, and not so worried about protocol or regulations.

HK45
07-21-10, 15:40
I was in 2nd Force Recon Company during this time. The 1st story is true. The second is a crock of shit. It's safe to assume that we blocked comms but not in that manner. No reason to when you could do it other ways.
The snipers had dual Argentinian US citizenship. Nothing particularly nefarious about it other than that. Almost all the Argentineans were conscripts who had zero desire to be there.
That BBC reporter had his head up his ass on the intelligence situation and who the snipers were.
We had an SBS (Special Boat Service) captain who did an exchange program with us just after the Falklands. Great guy with some interesting stories about the Falklands but especially about Ireland.
I would recommend this book which I read in 1984 when it came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Falklands-Hastings-Simon-Jenkins/dp/0393301982/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279744521&sr=8-1

If you are into military history you could do worse than to read everything Max Hastings has ever written.

I was in the 2nd Ranger Bn when the war started, and we were put on alert to go help if needed.

There are two stories about the Falklands that I rarely hear told. If anyone has any further details, let us know...

American Snipers.
I have heard this many times from Brits who were there. It involves Americans who were fighting for the Argies. As I recall, there were two Americans who were captured and executed, or possibly killed in battle. Most folks relate the captured version of the story...

US raid on listening post
This story came from one former sailor I used to know very well. He claims that the US sent in a team to take out an Argie communications site on some islands south of the Falklands. They found two soldiers asleep, and quickly dispatched them.

HK45
07-22-10, 10:52
Dan,

I think part of that is the Brit mindset and how they run their wars.

FYI, if you talk with any of the Brits who were in Afghanistan, they all have high praises for our Air Force, when compared to their own air assets. The American pilots were generally more Gung Ho to get into a scrap to help them out, and not so worried about protocol or regulations.

I did a heck of a lot of cross training with Brits. The USMC has always had close relations with them. I attended Everything from Royal Marine Commando's to Para's to regular infantry plus some of their spooky units. This was mostly in the 80's. Also fought along side them in Beirut. I have always had tremendous respect for their professionalism.
I see their are pulling out of Helmand province due to the high casualties they have had there. I assume thats a political decision. They are being replaced by US Marines.