PDA

View Full Version : DD RIS II M4A1 FSP opinions

JackHass
07-18-10, 13:29
Thinking about getting one of these DD RIS II M4A1 FSP. Anyone have one? What are your thoughts? Debating wether or not to get the FSP version, or the regular version.

thanks

agr1279
07-18-10, 14:07
Go ahead and get the lite rail. You are going to have to replace the barrel nut. I was at the factory and almost went that route but was advised to go with the lite unless I wanted to mount a 203 under the barrel.

Dan

TehLlama
07-18-10, 15:41
If you'll actually be mounting an M203, go for it. If not, it's a waste.
If you want the 12" FSP configuration, get the OmegaX12.0FSP setup - cheaper, lighters, and includes a QD swivel attachment.
Otherwise, just go with the plain Lite rail.

I have the RIS-II non-FSP, with the intention of mounting a 203, but i wouldn't recommend it over those two other options except when needing to free float an underbarrel weapon.

bkb0000
07-18-10, 16:26
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/69/l_868c90da479d43e8aff4d07fc119611f.jpg

i traded it for $150 and a used KAC RAS kit. it's a heavy setup.. the FSP is heavy, and rail, being two piece, is heavier than a normal 12.0 rail, even the boltup assembly is heavier than the Lite boltup assembies.

it's bulletproof, or as bulletproof as a rail is gonna get, but if you don't need it, don't get it.

JackHass
07-18-10, 18:07
It going to be paired up with an M4 socom barrel. Anyone using this barrel? Whats your setup?

The Regular Guy
07-18-10, 21:35
This is something that I am interested in learning more about... so that I may narrow down some options. I am going to be deploying in a couple of months and I am trying to find a way to extend my ability to reach out on my m4 to get a good purchase on the weapon.

Weight is an issue... optics, lights, and lasers get heavy quickly...

An m203 is not really a concern.

look forward to reading more posts...

T

Col_Crocs
07-18-10, 22:04
How far are you allowed to go with weapon modification? The RISII, Lite and Omega X series rails all require a proprietary barrel nut, which to install, will require removal of the FH, FSB, standard barrel nut and delta ring. If youre allowed to go all out, the Lite would be my personal choice. Rock solid installation and is lighter than the Omega X, based on listed specs.
If you're limited to drop in stuff, you may want to look into modifying a standard 12" Omega to accommodate your FSB. We have a deployed member who did just that since he wasnt allowed to take his upper apart.
Here's a link to Rob_s' rail systems chart for your reference
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

Col_Crocs
07-18-10, 22:24
Found the thread!
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41489
Heads up on the Omega though... The 4 set screws that tighten against the barrel nut come pre-applied with light thread locker from the factory. Should hold up well and not give you any issues but it wouldnt hurt to reference mark them and have a bit of blue loctite on hand just incase.

Belmont31R
07-18-10, 22:29
I had one on a Noveske Lite carbine....didn't like the FSB sticking out of the top of the rail since it happened to be right where my left thumb wanted to be.

I actually like removable bottom rails so I can put an oily rag to the barrel. I don't really like the idea of not being able to put some sort of rust preventer on the barrel short of either just dropping oil through the holes in the rail or taking the rail apart. I had this happen with a stainless barrel, and a LaRue 12" rail. Looked one day, and found rusty pitting on the barrel. I had to take the rail off to clean it up.

Col_Crocs
07-18-10, 23:57
Quib posted in a past thread that he sprays his odorless mineral spirit/CLP mix under the rail to flush out dust and at the same time, leave a coat of oil on the barrel.
Not the exact mix and ratio but I tried it once with just a little bit of bug juice. Left a nice thin, almost dry coat on the barrel.

Stickman
07-19-10, 01:05
Thinking about getting one of these DD RIS II M4A1 FSP. Anyone have one? What are your thoughts? Debating wether or not to get the FSP version, or the regular version.

thanks

If you feel that a fixed FSB is more reliable, and a better way to do things, then the FSP in the RIS II or Lite rail is a solid choice.

If you are comfortable with folding sights (like the current issue MK18), the RIS II or Lite rails may be a better choice.

Schools of thought on the above often run in opposite directions. I've carried both as duty weapons, and as long as the work in done properly, I've got no concern without a fixed FSB, but you need to figure that out for yourself before you make a choice.

seabyrd6
07-19-10, 09:15
Nice work-CB

pezboy
07-19-10, 10:34
I've never used the FSB version, but do plan on getting one (or two or three if they sell the Mk18 and GL/SSC versions). The rail is very simple to install since you don't need to line up the barrel nut and it simply bolts on with 6 hex head screws. The only negative is that it is more oval shaped where the sides are out more than the bottom. This can be remedied if you install a full size rail panel on the bottom and nothing or only ladders on the side though.
Dustin

TehLlama
07-19-10, 16:09
An RIS-II on a SOCOM barrel is going to be an absolute tank, I don't even see a use for that unless you're putting down volumes of fire... that's a 15lb loaded weapon with an M203.

I've got a 14.5" SOCOM upper with an MRF-DI, and it's a pig of an upper. Great fun, very controllable, but it's still a touch front-heavy even with a UBR, and it does very little that my 14.7" Pencil barrel can't - that rifle is the one that sounds best on paper, but gets used the least.

patriot_man
07-30-10, 07:37
An RIS-II on a SOCOM barrel is going to be an absolute tank, I don't even see a use for that unless you're putting down volumes of fire... that's a 15lb loaded weapon with an M203.

That's right. I've got an RIS II FSP. I'll post up some pictures. Even with my 16 inch government profile barrel it is still pretty hefty.