PDA

View Full Version : To Malkoff or not to Malkoff … that is the question!!!

Big Willy
07-18-10, 13:33
I need to pick the great minds of this forum once again!

I’m reading the forums and looking at the Malkoff website. I have a Surefire P6 on a Gear Sector mount. I’m thinking I’d like to know the Pro’s and Con’s to this (Malkoff) upgrade to the Surefire P6 for use as a weapon light.

• If I am reading it correctly, the M61 is the newest version of the drop-in for the Surefire P6. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Malkoff M60 and the Malkoff M61?

• For a multi-purpose weapon light, what is best option?

M60 or M61?

Standard, Low Output or Lowest Output? W, LF…???

I’d like a bit more light. The Malkoff website is not too helpful in finding info on the M61 v. s. the M60. I’m not 100% sure on the advantages/disadvantages for the options offered in each model.

Thank you in advance for all of your input! :D

Best regards,

Willy

ucrt
07-18-10, 15:03
I had some of the same questions. I'd recommend you do what I did. Call Malkoff Devices and if you're lucky like I was, you'll get to talk to Gene Malkoff and I promise you he'll answer any question you have.

Extremely nice guy.

I don't regret any of the Malkoff's I have.

Dennis
07-18-10, 15:55
The M61 is a bit brighter, with a bit more flood, with more runtime. The only advantage the M60 keeps is a bit more throw.

However, both would function just fine as general use weaponlights and you might be able to find good deals on used M60's given the new M61.

I am slowly replacing my M60's with M61's mostly due to the extended runtime, with the M60's finding their way into less used weaponlights or flashlights.

An M60L/M61L would be great if you wanted much longer runtime and don't really need max brightness. I use a M60WL in my duty 870 just for that reason because I am willing to give up long range brightness for more runtime and less worry about battery changes.

Oh, the W's mean "Warm" or neutral tint and I actually prefer these because they provide more contrast for colors and actually help the beam penetrate more through natural foilage at least to your eye. However, they are also perceived as a bit less "bright".

Basically, you can't go wrong with any Malkoff drop-in, they will all be brighter and run longer than the standard P60 bulb.

Another option is to get the Malkoff MD2 turnkey flashlight with the hi/low output ring and use it to mount on your weapon. This way you can have 2 different power/runtime choices with just a turn of the head, the clicky has a nice long positive throw, and you can mount anywhere along the length of the light because it has no removable tailcap. It definitely has advantages over a standard 6P.

Good Luck!

Dennis.

Boltgun
07-18-10, 19:24
just to add to Dennis' post, the M61 does not have the optical lens like the M60. The lens gives the M60 a bit more throw from what I understand. Where the M61 makes up the difference is in the reflector and LED.

Either one, Like Dennis said, are excellent drop ins. All my P60 based lights use a malkoff drop in....excellent upgrades!

Boltgun

SRT
07-18-10, 23:37
Dennis' post was spot on. I removed the KX2C 200 lumen head and mounted the Malkoff M61 on my Sure Fire Scout Light, using the LU60A module and a copper shock ring. Great combo for the M4, and it spills blinding white light ALL over dark rooms.

uwe1
07-19-10, 00:07
Dennis,

What is the runtime of a standard M60 vs M61? I have 2 M61's which I dropped into a 6P and a G2LED. They are amazingly good at illuminating an entire room, but I'm thinking the hot spot is either the same or less intense as the hot spot of a TLR1s. I don't think that the M61 throws as far as the TLR1s, which is just an observation while shining the lights through my backyard, but the problem is that the flood effect of the M61 tricks the eye by increasing the ambient light levels.

Do you see any advantage to the M60 vs the M61 for the average civilian user? Aside from spotlighting something at 100 yards I can't justify my urge to purchase a M60.

The M61 is a bit brighter, with a bit more flood, with more runtime. The only advantage the M60 keeps is a bit more throw.

However, both would function just fine as general use weaponlights and you might be able to find good deals on used M60's given the new M61.

I am slowly replacing my M60's with M61's mostly due to the extended runtime, with the M60's finding their way into less used weaponlights or flashlights.

An M60L/M61L would be great if you wanted much longer runtime and don't really need max brightness. I use a M60WL in my duty 870 just for that reason because I am willing to give up long range brightness for more runtime and less worry about battery changes.

Oh, the W's mean "Warm" or neutral tint and I actually prefer these because they provide more contrast for colors and actually help the beam penetrate more through natural foilage at least to your eye. However, they are also perceived as a bit less "bright".

Basically, you can't go wrong with any Malkoff drop-in, they will all be brighter and run longer than the standard P60 bulb.

Another option is to get the Malkoff MD2 turnkey flashlight with the hi/low output ring and use it to mount on your weapon. This way you can have 2 different power/runtime choices with just a turn of the head, the clicky has a nice long positive throw, and you can mount anywhere along the length of the light because it has no removable tailcap. It definitely has advantages over a standard 6P.

Good Luck!

Dennis.

Dennis
07-19-10, 01:57
I think the M60 runtime is somewhat less than 1.5 hours and the M61 is around 2 hours.

I never meant to imply that the M60 is a thrower and the M61 is only a flood, both are pretty darn close and to me the runtime is everything. If you want throw mount a Olight M20 or something similar, although the practical use over a M60/M61 is debatable.

Enjoy your M61's!

Dennis.

ps. I think changing to a M60W/M61W for outdoor use is a much more appreciable upgrade. The increased contrast helps you see into/through foilage and discriminate colors much better than with the white blue hue of LED's that people have demanded for so long... Try looking into a bush with an old 6P P60 incan then a white LED to see what I am talking about.

sonrider657
07-19-10, 08:30
The M60 definitely has better throw and the optic does not produce a distinct "circle" beam (it just gradually fads). Elzetta sells both M60's and M61's as drop-ins but only uses the M60's in their lights. link (http://www.elzetta.com/Webpages/interactive.htm).

sammage
07-19-10, 08:41
FWIW, I was very pleased with the improvement of the M60L drop in on mine, along with the customer service.

Big Willy
07-19-10, 15:23
Thanks to all who have taken their time and replied! I appreciate your input and time!

So… the M61 looks to be the way to go?!?!?

Do you guys suggest the:

• “Full” power (260 Lumens)
• “Low” power (175 Lumens)
• Or, the “Lowest” power (100 Lumens)

I spoke to the nice gentleman at Malkoff for a while today. He says he sells more of the full power M61’s than the other models. He was very helpful. I’m not sure he has the “Weapon Light” background you guys have. That’s why I want to clarify before I buy.

I’m leaning toward the “Low” power (175 Lumens) for the best of run time and lumens. Am I on the right track?

Am I correct in saying the “W” (warm) version will be better overall or just outside? To “W” or not to “W” that is my final question? ;)

Thanks once again for your time and input!

Best regards,

Willy

Dennis
07-19-10, 15:44
Again, you can't really go wrong with either the M60/M61.

If you don't need the ability to fully light up targets roughly 50+yards away then the M61LW is fine. In the not-so-old days guys did just fine with 60 lumen incan P60 bulbs. I would definitely go with the Warm version either indoors or out, however the wait may be longer.

In fact, the wait for any of these may be awhile, so I would sign up for email notification for all of them then decide as you get notified if you want to buy it or not!

Don't forget the discount for buying a full MD2 flashlight combo, that and another drop in for your 6P would give you a lot of options!

Dennis.

msap
07-19-10, 17:32
Thanks to all who have taken their time and replied! I appreciate your input and time!

Do you guys suggest the:

I spoke to the nice gentleman at Malkoff for a while today. He says he sells more of the full power M61’s than the other models. He was very helpful. I’m not sure he has the “Weapon Light” background you guys have. That’s why I want to clarify before I buy.

I’m leaning toward the “Low” power (175 Lumens) for the best of run time and lumens. Am I on the right track?

Am I correct in saying the “W” (warm) version will be better overall or just outside? To “W” or not to “W” that is my final question? ;)

Best regards,

Willy

Willy, go for the full power M61. It seems like a lot of lumens, especially for indoors, but it's a nice mix between throw and flood. I use a 6P with M61 on my patrol rifle and I love it. In fact, the M61 is so nice I carry one (MD2) on my gun belt as well.

ST911
07-19-10, 19:15
I had some of the same questions. I'd recommend you do what I did. Call Malkoff Devices and if you're lucky like I was, you'll get to talk to Gene Malkoff and I promise you he'll answer any question you have. Extremely nice guy. I don't regret any of the Malkoff's I have.

Last I knew, Gene was still answering the phone more often than not. Great guy that will talk your ear off with good info. He used to give out his cell number if you needed to follow up with him later. Good dude.

Submariner
07-19-10, 19:21
Who has the best price on the M60/M61?

Mak8080
07-20-10, 21:28
Who has the best price on the M60/M61?

There aren't too many retailers/vendors that carry Malkoff products. Especially, with the new models (M61, M61L, etc.). You're best bet is to just go straight Gene's site and buy one there. Just pray that their in stock since they seem to sell out fast.:D Hit up candlepowerforums...great info and he posts there every now and then.

My personal preference is the M61. I used to run all M60s, but the M61 is brighter and has a nice spot/flood feel to it. Plus, the runtime is longer. The M60 is great and has a tad bit more throw....I'll say it's only 10% more than the M61.

uwe1
07-21-10, 00:29
This was another earlier thread that I went through. Check out orionzo6's post with the picture comparison of the different lights.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51330

It appears the hot spot of a x300 and the TNVC are similar, with the difference being the much brighter surround.

uwe1
07-21-10, 00:51
In my opinion, for a light that you are going to use outdoors or on a rifle, go for the full power M61 so you get the range. It looks like Gene Malkoff is selling a M61W at 240 lumens if you want "warmth".

Using my M61s in the Surefire bodies for close up work is a bit intense. I assume that the MD2 can be gotten with a high/low bezel if you want a M61, but need the high/low capability.

Do you guys suggest the:

Best regards,

Willy

Big Willy
07-21-10, 11:56
Thanks to all for your input!

I placed an order for a M61 today! :D

All the best!

Willy

Mo_Zam_Beek
07-21-10, 17:35
No slam however Oregon_Shooter and I have had 5 or 6 pass through our collective hands with 2 being defective pretty much right out of the gate. They were replaced without hassle.

That said, I have 2 6Ps with Malkoffs in them now and use them all the time. However I don't trust it well enough to put in a weapon light.

Good luck

Dennis
07-21-10, 17:48
No slam however Oregon_Shooter and I have had 5 or 6 pass through our collective hands with 2 being defective pretty much right out of the gate. They were replaced without hassle.

That said, I have 2 6Ps with Malkoffs in them now and use them all the time. However I don't trust it well enough to put in a weapon light.

Good luck

Wow, that is pretty bad luck. I have had about 20 come thru my hands with no issues, and several in shotguns and AR's with no issues after many rounds downrange. Others have had similar and even better experiences but your experience would not inspire confidence in me either. Did you get them new from Malkoff or used?

What drop-in do you trust in a weapon light? I can't think of any others that would be appreciably better. Why not give a Malkoff a chance during a few range days and see what happens?

Dennis.

ra2bach
07-21-10, 20:43
has anyone compared the Malkoff drop-ins with the TNVC?

uwe1
07-21-10, 20:58

I don't own a TNVC yet, but I recently acquired a used G2 Nitrolon (incandescent) in a trade which I'm considering modifying with a TNVC and an aluminum bezel. Crappy part about doing that is that it would end up costing me almost 90 bucks (I don't think TNVC sells Z44 bezels) including the shipping from two vendors which is what a brand new 6P LED would cost. The alternative would be to get the new drop-in module that Surefire is selling which replaces the P60L as it already comes with a aluminum bezel, but is rated at 120 lumens.

ucrt
07-21-10, 21:27

===============================

I compared both. I have the Malkoff M60 and the TNVC Cree Q5. They are very comparable in spot size and spill. Almost identical with no real advantage to either one in throw or spill or bightness. I did not compare runtimes and I am far from an expert.

From what I've read Pat Rogers at EAG Tactical uses the TNVC and Magpul Dynamics uses the Malkoff and they both have tons of rounds with them mounted. Magpul has 50k+ on the Malkoff's.

After my comparisons, I bought another Malkoff for two main reasons:
1 - Gene Malkoff spent 20+ minutes on the phone answering all of my ignorant questions and patiently explaining everything to me. From talking with him, I know that he truly and diligently is trying to make the best product. Very humble man.
2 - TNVC came in Chinese packaging with no mention of TNVC. Not even a repackage job but the lights work.

I keep my Malkoffs mounted on my AR's and I have about 1500 rounds with one and it keeps on working.

If you really want to see something amazing, get the Malkoff Drop-in for the MagLites. They are unbelievable and it is fantastic that an LED handheld light can be that bright and reach that far with a perfect spot with great spill. Their web videos and photos do not do the MagLite Drop-ins justice.

uwe1
07-21-10, 21:47
Do you see any difference in the quality? The Malkoffs have that brass heatsink and seem very solidly built. The TNVC looks like a version of the Surefire P60L.

Does TNVC say that their lights are made in the USA?

===============================

I compared both. I have the Malkoff M60 and the TNVC Cree Q5. They are very comparable in spot size and spill. Almost identical with no real advantage to either one in throw or spill or bightness. I did not compare runtimes and I am far from an expert.

From what I've read Pat Rogers at EAG Tactical uses the TNVC and Magpul Dynamics uses the Malkoff and they both have tons of rounds with them mounted. Magpul has 50k+ on the Malkoff's.

After my comparisons, I bought another Malkoff for two main reasons:
1 - Gene Malkoff spent 20+ minutes on the phone answering all of my ignorant questions and patiently explaining everything to me. From talking with him, I know that he truly and diligently is trying to make the best product. Very humble man.
2 - TNVC came in Chinese packaging with no mention of TNVC. Not even a repackage job but the lights work.

I keep my Malkoffs mounted on my AR's and I have about 1500 rounds with one and it keeps on working.

If you really want to see something amazing, get the Malkoff Drop-in for the MagLites. They are unbelievable and it is fantastic that an LED handheld light can be that bright and reach that far with a perfect spot with great spill. Their web videos and photos do not do the MagLite Drop-ins justice.

ucrt
07-21-10, 22:33
The TNVC is definitely a Chinese product, Chinese packaging, writing, etc. Looked like TNVC took it out of the box from China and put it in the box to me.

I went and looked at my TNVC and Malkoff's and I forgot a couple of points.

I put both the Malkoff and TNVC in new SureFire 6P's.

The Malkoff has a machined 1-1/8" tapered brass body that looks like it is trying to get the most surface contact in the flashlight head and the body to disipate heat.
The TNVC body has about 3/4" surface contact with no bottom taper, it just step reduces to clear the taper inside the 6P's body.

The Malkoff is a little heavier than the TNVC, guess because it has more metal in the tapered area.

The main dislike I have of the TNVC is that the when you tighten the head to the body, there is a 1/10" gap. The head does not tighten down snug to the body like it does with a SureFire lamp or the Malkoff lamp. I contacted TNVC and they said, "Oh, you might need to cut a coil or two off of the spring to get it down tight." :bad:???

I didn't cut the spring, shouldn't have to, it's called a "drop-in" not a modify and then drop-in. I can really see why the Malkoff costs more. But that's just me.

Please note - I ain't no expert!

Victor
07-21-10, 23:06
Our LED's are MADE/Spec'd here and assembled overseas. As for the fit, ONLY the 6P's have had some issues and it's still is a drop in. The other competitor light also has a gap in some instances, please check around. You called and we gave you the best advice we could. In fact, if I remember correctly I told you like any any others I would modify the coil to insure all would fit just right, was that so wrong? As for boxes, why pay for a fancy package that only adds costs to the end product and why not offer the savings to the retail cost for your hard earned money? We package them ourselves here in a small box.

We do have THOUSANDS of rounds down range with some pretty substantial feedback from all and some pretty heavy trigger pullers to say the least. In fact 3 guns with over 100K rounds now down range and not ONE failure of ANY kind. This field type endurance testing will continue btw. Once again, where have we failed in the field? (I am curious here, please answer this, where is the bad or inferior performance?) Your post makes it sound like our light is some cheap dirt non reliable light and that is just not true. Your are the FIRST person who has EVER complained and we sell an incredible amount of lamps every day. If you do not like your light, please return it, I will gladly even pay shipping back to us. We have too many happy customers to say the least so please do return the lamp, no issue, none. Or if you like you can IM me and I will call on my dime to give you our UPS acct. number for shipping. Folks know us in a pretty big way to have the best and most respected customer service in the industry, ask around on that and see how long Chip and I BOTH are on the phone personally with customers every day. This is what we do. Hope this helps.

Edited, Btw, Travis and Chris DO run our lights along Pat with a few others to say the least. We all have demo'd and trained together with our Q5's.....After all both our companies do run a training division together. http://www.tnvc.com/training.html I feel we're a bit respectable for what we do for the community to say the least.

Dennis
07-21-10, 23:07
The TNVC is definitely a Chinese product, Chinese packaging, writing, etc. Looked like TNVC took it out of the box from China and put it in the box to me.

I went and looked at my TNVC and Malkoff's and I forgot a couple of points.

I put both the Malkoff and TNVC in new SureFire 6P's.

The Malkoff has a machined 1-1/8" tapered brass body that looks like it is trying to get the most surface contact in the flashlight head and the body to disipate heat.
The TNVC body has about 3/4" surface contact with no bottom taper, it just step reduces to clear the taper inside the 6P's body.

The Malkoff is a little heavier than the TNVC, guess because it has more metal in the tapered area.

The main dislike I have of the TNVC is that the when you tighten the head to the body, there is a 1/10" gap. The head does not tighten down snug to the body like it does with a SureFire lamp or the Malkoff lamp. I contacted TNVC and they said, "Oh, you might need to cut a coil or two off of the spring to get it down tight." :bad:???

I didn't cut the spring, shouldn't have to, it's called a "drop-in" not a modify and then drop-in. I can really see why the Malkoff costs more. But that's just me.

Please note - I ain't no expert!

You pretty much nailed it. The TNVC works great and may well be a well spec'd Chinese drop in, but the Malkoff is a solid chunk of Made in the USA brass with known quality electronics from a well respected and reputable company.

Dennis.

uwe1
07-22-10, 02:07
Victor,

I don't believe anyone meant to say that your light modules don't work or offer questionable performance. The remark was about a fit issue, and you're right, I believe some Malkoff modules don't fit perfectly either so thanks for clearing that up. For example, the Malkoff Maglite module requires that the user modify the reflector to get it to fit.

You have a point about why you use the same packaging and I have no problem with it. Just a FYI for everyone, my Malkoff M61s came delivered to me in nothing but a bubble wrap bag causing me to ask Gene Malkoff if he forgot to package the directions and labeling. The reply was that the M61s were so new, that packaging wasn't created yet.

It's only natural that as consumers that we are going to investigate two competitors product's strengths and weaknesses. With the Malkoffs costing 30-40% more (depending on the unit), people will ask questions to find out why. There are obvious differences in build and design, but obviously both companies are producing functional units that are used by well respected instructors, so please don't take our discussion personally.

About the Chinese-made comments, I've only been on this board a little over a year and there is a clear prejudice from many members that Chinese made products are inferior to American ones, which explains why that point was even brought up. Whether you agree with that is another matter. Just for clarification, are your LED units made in the USA and shipped overseas for assembly? Or is it a American design made overseas according to your specifications?

Thank you sir.

Our LED's are MADE/Spec'd here and assembled overseas. As for the fit, ONLY the 6P's have had some issues and it's still is a drop in. The other competitor light also has a gap in some instances, please check around. You called and we gave you the best advice we could. In fact, if I remember correctly I told you like any any others I would modify the coil to insure all would fit just right, was that so wrong? As for boxes, why pay for a fancy package that only adds costs to the end product and why not offer the savings to the retail cost for your hard earned money? We package them ourselves here in a small box.

We do have THOUSANDS of rounds down range with some pretty substantial feedback from all and some pretty heavy trigger pullers to say the least. In fact 3 guns with over 100K rounds now down range and not ONE failure of ANY kind. This field type endurance testing will continue btw. Once again, where have we failed in the field? (I am curious here, please answer this, where is the bad or inferior performance?) Your post makes it sound like our light is some cheap dirt non reliable light and that is just not true. Your are the FIRST person who has EVER complained and we sell an incredible amount of lamps every day. If you do not like your light, please return it, I will gladly even pay shipping back to us. We have too many happy customers to say the least so please do return the lamp, no issue, none. Or if you like you can IM me and I will call on my dime to give you our UPS acct. number for shipping. Folks know us in a pretty big way to have the best and most respected customer service in the industry, ask around on that and see how long Chip and I BOTH are on the phone personally with customers every day. This is what we do. Hope this helps.

Edited, Btw, Travis and Chris DO run our lights along Pat with a few others to say the least. We all have demo'd and trained together with our Q5's.....After all both our companies do run a training division together. http://www.tnvc.com/training.html I feel we're a bit respectable for what we do for the community to say the least.

Victor
07-22-10, 11:01
To go a bit further to clarify some history. Years ago Surefire was too busy with Military products to even consider new initial LED's technology surfacing. They were also concerned that IR filters could not be used and this could impact their Mil contracts. In essence NO ONE was mass producing a LED drop in way back when that we knew of or making anything to really see in the shadows of indoor structures with a bright spill, just non-existent. Well Pentagon was around but we all know what happened to them right or wrong. We actually went to ALL these folks EARLY on and no one would take on the project. Surefire is still actually 40 min from my home and Paul Kim (chief engineer at that time) and I did work close on another project. ;) The LED though was a no-go. Nowadays of course, other companies jumped in on the drop in LED markets and the momentum had a large shift which enabled other electronic companies to come into the mix.

As for parts made overseas, as talked about some components made here and assembled overseas. If folks would also know how many expensive NV products such at the 6 thousand dollar+ Raptors made overseas (Singapore/Taiwan) along with parts that make up the PVS-14's. They are not sub standard and over 700 thousand PVS-14 have been issued or more with a current contract for 450 thousand awarded to ITT not too long ago.

As for some sort of "Chinese language writing", that is simply NOT true. There is no Chinese lettering/writing on packaging. Your language is incorrect here and this puts us in a bad light stating things like this as it appears our lamps have no QC? Also just so folks know as well, we inspect and test EACH and every lamp BEFORE it goes out the door and I mean EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM. There is a reason we have always seen the incredible and repeatable reliability of all those rounds down range for many years now. I do not know what kind of sampling Surefire does, but we test and inspect each individual lamp. We all know electronics can and will fail and I keep a pretty large bag of P60's from years on.

The offer stands, if you are NOT happy I politely ask you to return lamp back and we will HAPPILY pay your return shipping back to us. Folks know me personally and my company that we are not "those guys" in for the almighty $$. I personally got into this industry because of "those guys" and was taken for a lot of money on several occasions trying to purchase NV with sub standard gear. I vowed that would NEVER happen again to anyone in the industry while I was at the helm with our new company at that time. I'll bow out now as this post has also taken away from the OP and I will not take away further, but when a few statements resembled we somehow have a "cheap" product vs. the thousands of units operational I had to respond. Thanks guys.

Vic

Big Willy
07-22-10, 14:27
See what happens when a FNG asks a question!!!

Good information - Thanks to all for your input and time!!!

Best regards,

Willly

msap
07-22-10, 16:08
Hey Vic, thanks for taking the time to explain things regarding your product. I have a couple Malkoff drop ins but, TNVC is next on the list after reading your posts. Have always heard good things but never purchased one. Will have to remedy that.

LonghunterCO
07-29-10, 11:53
Have not used the TNVC lamps so I can not comment on them, but have the Malkoff M60 drop in and love it. My biggest problem with the Malkoff is trying to find the extra dollars in the family budget to upgrade my other lights.
Looking foward to trying the M61.

Big Willy
07-29-10, 13:40
Hi guys!

I have the M61 installed now and it works nice.

The whole experience from calling Malkoff to speak with the owner (gave great info and was very kind) - to placing the order - to getting my order was A+!

Willy

uwe1
07-31-10, 10:12
Ok, now that we've established that TNVC has great QC and doesn't have "chinese" writing, I'm curious as to what country the lamps are assembled in? "Overseas" has always been the answer and frankly, my curiosity is peaked.

WS6
09-03-10, 19:17
Going to jump in here and defend both Gene and Victor. LED's that are "almost immediately defective" are a result of the LED itself going "poof". All LED's come from a VERY VERY limited number of overseas sources. It is how they are heat-sinked, and driven, and reflector'ed that make the difference in quality between a DX, and a Malkoff, and TNVC. The ones that die immediately are LED related and can happen to ANY module no-matter how well built the rest of the setup is.

TNVC fit my 6P with no gap beze/body. The Malkoff had 1/10" or so gap.

I have owned the TNVC, Dereelight, Malkoff M60, M60W, M60W-MCE. The TNVC and Dereelight appeared to be made to the same quality standard--not a knock on either, as both are very well-made and have a good reputation for durability. My TNVC put out around 175 lumens from my 6P, as measured in an integrated sphere. I did not have my Malkoff's or Dereelight (which was a "Warm" binned LED) measured. The Malkoff just has that solid chunk of material, made in the USA feel. However, that being said,I have not heard of TNVC failing, overheating, etc. so I don't think it is an issue.

Now that Malkoff is using reflectors, I think they are more of a direct comparison the the TNVC as far as the "type" of beam they are producing. I am awaiting my M61W and 6P/Z59 combos anxiously. Bought 2 of them, one for me, one for a gift.

Rezarf2
10-29-10, 21:16
Thanks this thread was most helpful.

What would you guys go with for a Surefire forend light? M61LW? I am thinking if I am shooting out past 25 yards, I should've grabbed a rifle.

However if I get the M61 I can run it in my handheld as well when hiking/general purpose.

Thanks-

Dennis
10-29-10, 22:08
Thanks this thread was most helpful.

What would you guys go with for a Surefire forend light? M61LW? I am thinking if I am shooting out past 25 yards, I should've grabbed a rifle.

However if I get the M61 I can run it in my handheld as well when hiking/general purpose.

Thanks-

This was my thinking exactly in my duty 870. I run a M60L in it for long runtime, wide would be a good choice if you are SURE you won't use it past 25Y.

After you get your first Malkoff, you will buy more for every use you can think of :)

Dennis.

Rezarf2
10-31-10, 00:08
This was my thinking exactly in my duty 870. I run a M60L in it for long runtime, wide would be a good choice if you are SURE you won't use it past 25Y.

After you get your first Malkoff, you will buy more for every use you can think of :)

Dennis.

Have you tried the TNVC Q5 Cree drop in? It is a lot less and seems to be getting rave reviews as well.

On a shotgun I just want more than the 60 lumen incan... more is better, to a point.

Dennis
10-31-10, 13:03
Have you tried the TNVC Q5 Cree drop in? It is a lot less and seems to be getting rave reviews as well.

On a shotgun I just want more than the 60 lumen incan... more is better, to a point.

I have a TNVC and I like it, it is in my Recce AR now because of its impressive balance between throw and flood. However, it is not a solid chunk of LED heat dissipating brass like the Made in the USA Malkoff. However, it seems Vic has been able to spec out a well made Chinese LED and as you said many are happy with it.

Your choice!

Dennis.