PDA

View Full Version : Finally let my G17's go....

SWATcop556
07-19-10, 06:42
I've been carrying a full sized Glock for many years now. First model was an issued G31C that I carried for 5 years then I changed dept. and was able to carry a G17. I've carried it for about 3 years now. I've always carried either a G19 or G26 off-duty.

I then transfered to a new unit at my dept. and I've found myself in plainclothes and carrying my G19 almost exclusively. I only carried the G17 for uniformed duty and tac team callouts/trainings.

I recently had two weeks of vacation that I just finished up and I did a shit load of shooting, mainly focusing on my pistol skills since my rifle had been taking up most of my training time lately. I began to find that I consistently shot my G19's better than the G17's. My draw and presentation was more consistent and my follow-up shots were more accurate. I thought it might have just been a fluke so a few days later I hit the range again and, sure as shit, the G19 out performed. :dirol:

Since I've been carrying the G19 95% of the time and when putting myself on the timer running different drills I was consistently the better shooter with it, I decided to let my 2 G17's go. A fellow officer had two G19's (one near NIB and the other an older two pin Gen3) and he was looking to get G17's we did a straight across swap. I now have 4 G19's and 2 G26's and really couldn't be happier. The biggest hurdle I had to get over was, strangely enough, not carrying a full sized handgun for uniformed duty/SWAT :ph34r:. When it really came down to the nut-cutting the G19 does everything I need it to do and the G17 doesn't offer me anything that the G19 can't handle. So after many years I've finally converted over and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

4StringSlinger
07-19-10, 07:34
I had virtually the same path as you. Only run 19's or a 26 now. I still like the full size frames, I just shoot better with the compacts. My 17's sat for a year unfired after I got the 19's before I finally got rid of 'em.

Entropy
07-19-10, 07:52
There's just something about the compact sized handgun that makes it a better overall defensive pistol. Like you, I also carried full sized pistols on duty and off.....only with agency Sigs. I moved to the P229 and have found it to be a better overall pistol for me, and I shoot it better than the P226 or P220.

I think it was wise of you to move entirely over to the G19 camp.

ck1
07-19-10, 08:39
Just the opposite here... Only have a couple 17's now, a primary which I use/abuse, and a JIC back-up which lives in a box and likely will remain there as I may never need it...

Had a couple 26's and a couple 19's in the past, but IMO the extra 1/2" and couple ounces more is totally worth living with to get the better grip and ergos of a G17.

While they're considered a "full-size" pistol, they're still pretty compact and svelte next to just about any other "full-size" like a P226, 92FS, 1911, etc. and IMO if one can hide a G19 they can hide a 17 (and the guys I know who say they can't make more of a case for carrying a G26 when giving examples to why a 17 won't work).

Personally, I think a lot of guys think "compact" automatically equals better for CCW, and don't necessarily even look at supposed "full-sizes" as an option.

That said... if you shoot a 19 better, than that's the best choice.

JHC
07-19-10, 09:21
Quite a few experienced shooters find the ergos and grip of the 19 superior to those of the 17. Very much a personal preference.

kmrtnsn
07-19-10, 09:31
I found the same thing happened between by USPc LEM .40 and and my P2000SK in .40; I was consistently a few points better with the smaller, lighter P2000SK at quals.

User Name
07-19-10, 10:32
I shoot both. Yet I prefer to shoot G17's during extended sessions only cause I do not get slide bite with them where as I get bit by G19's. Though in certain situations I feel I shoot G19's more effectively. Though I have no idea why.

skyugo
07-19-10, 10:42
what about that extra 25 fps of velocity? :o

good deal man, i love the 19, really have no interest in a 17 at this point.

wingspar
07-19-10, 11:53
Well, I don’t carry, never have, never will. However, on occasion when I head out to the woods to shoot, or do some hiking, I will wear my G17 in a sidekick holster. I can’t imagine carrying a G17 all day on a daily basis with a full magazine. To me, it gets pretty heavy pretty quickly. I’d want something smaller and lighter.

When I chose the G17, it was between the 19 & 17, and the 17 won out cause the full size felt better in my hand. I don’t know if you have ever watch any of Hickock45's YouTube videos, but he owns several G26 and G19's for the exact reason you do. He shoots them better, and he has big meaty hands. It’s all about what works for you, and changing things around to fit you better as you change with the years.

Seraph
07-19-10, 14:34
I'm really more a 1911 guy, but I have a couple of Glock 19's, and I do carry them frequently. I've toyed with the idea of getting a couple of 17's or 34's to play with, but somehow I always end up reasoning my way back to the Glock 19. To me, it just seems to strike the right size/performance efficiency balance for this type of pistol. Some of the things I initially found irksome about the Glock 19 when shooting other people's examples, are things I find advantageous, now that I've spent quality time with my own Glock 19's. For instance, while I won't say they're comfortable, I find the Gen 3 Glock 19's finger grooves do force my fingers higher up the front strap, encouraging a grip that really goes well toward mitigating what little muzzle flip a 9mm pistol does exhibit.

I've been eyeballing the M&P's for a few years now... I'd be all over an M&P sized like a Glock 19.

tpd223
07-19-10, 16:30
I've also thought about going this route. I carry a G17 at work, but now that I have a G19 that's all I carry off-duty.

There are a bunch of NYPD guys, including ESU, who seem to have no issues with that size of gun for patrol/uniform and SWAT work.

Over the years I have I carried a 4" .357mag, a S&W 5906, a G22, a G35, and a G17 off-duty and concealed, the G19 is easier to hide, and still shoots like a full size gun.

uwe1
07-19-10, 17:19
I ran a G17 with a Hogue grip during a 800 round class and was very convinced that it would be my "Go To" pistol, but my 5'7" 140# frame makes concealing one challenging, so I was stuck with carrying my G26.

Then I got a G19 and hated the G19 and Hogue combo, until I discovered pictures of Boresight Solution's modified G19s with trigger guard reduction to get a higher grip on the gun. Wow, what a difference that mod made (did it myself). My G19 and Hogue combo feels so perfect in my hands now that I'm reevaluating the need for my G17s. I haven't had a chance to CCW it yet as I'm still waiting on a Milt Sparks VM2 (6 months wait), but I'm able to shoot it as well as my G17s.

S. Kelly
07-19-10, 21:00
My G19s would be the last guns I got rid of.

COLT6933
07-19-10, 21:43
I have owned and carried both 17's and 19's.
I own multiple 19's now all my 17's were sold! To me the 19 is the perfect 9mm

Seraph
07-19-10, 22:55
They aren't my favorite pistols. They're not even my favorite 9mm pistols. I do have considerable esteem for them, though, and they're definitely not for sale.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/G19Twins.jpg

usmcvet
07-19-10, 23:42
what about that extra 25 fps of velocity? :o

good deal man, i love the 19, really have no interest in a 17 at this point.

And six less rounds. I think it makes sense to "let those who ride decide" If you shoot it better it is a no brainer. I switched from a 23 to a 22 and like the bigger gun better. I have a huge hand the extra length in the grip really helps.

Surf
07-20-10, 00:15
I give you credit for letting the weapons go. I had to give up much of my weapons for "financial" and other reasons around my college years. It about killed me. Since that time, I let one weapon go about 10 years ago, to a good friend none the less and it still bothers me to this day. I definitely have a problem, but it won't happen again. Not at least until I am dead and then my son will get em. ;)

Seraph
07-20-10, 00:29
If I owned a Glock 17, I wouldn't trade it in for a Glock 19, but I'm pretty sure the next couple of Glocks I buy will be another pair of 19's.

usmcvet
07-20-10, 00:30
It can be painful selling guns. I just thinned my collection out quite a bit. I sold stuff I really enjoyed and some that just took up space. I made the sales a few weeks before beginning chemotherapy for a relapse in my Hairy Cell Leukemia. It's kinda interesting how your mortality makes you think differently. I finished my chemo last week and I'm feeling pretty optomistic.

The good news is OP ended up with two new guns and a pair he shoots better so no loss number wise and an increase in effectiveness.

l8apex
07-20-10, 00:47
I've done the same. Thinning out the herd is slightly painful, but it has made me focus on one particular platform which has allowed me to break through a shooting plateau.

I sold my 17 for a 19 & 34. Currently the 34 gets the most trigger time, but the 19 is the do it all.

titsonritz
07-20-10, 01:13
I have owned the 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 & 27. IMO the 19 is just about perfect. I'm down to a 19 for daily street carry and a 20 for my outdoors pistol.

TheSmiter1
07-20-10, 03:33
Just a question: When you're on duty, do they let you carry the Glock 19 with Glock 17 magazines inserted? Or is that a no-no for official duty?

BTW I have only a Glock 19 at this point. Once I'm done with school, I may switch to either M&P's or HK's, but the Glock 19 will always be in the family, at the very least. Fantastic firearm.

SWATcop556
07-20-10, 03:44
I give you credit for letting the weapons go. I had to give up much of my weapons for "financial" and other reasons around my college years. It about killed me. Since that time, I let one weapon go about 10 years ago, to a good friend none the less and it still bothers me to this day. I definitely have a problem, but it won't happen again. Not at least until I am dead and then my son will get em. ;)

Completely agree. The only reason I sell guns is for more guns. I've been in the process of making my armory more efficient rather than eclectic.

SWATcop556
07-20-10, 03:47
It can be painful selling guns. I just thinned my collection out quite a bit. I sold stuff I really enjoyed and some that just took up space. I made the sales a few weeks before beginning chemotherapy for a relapse in my Hairy Cell Leukemia. It's kinda interesting how your mortality makes you think differently. I finished my chemo last week and I'm feeling pretty optomistic.

The good news is OP ended up with two new guns and a pair he shoots better so no loss number wise and an increase in effectiveness.

I did wind up with two guns that I shoot better. It was just getting it through my head that I was just not as fast or as accurate with the G17, which I've had for years.

Best wishes and prayers to a full recovery. My wife had to do chemo at age 24 and it was the hardest thing to go through as a spouse. In the grand scheme of things I would sell all of my guns to not have her go through that again. Fortunately she is cancer free for the past 3 years now.

silentsod
07-20-10, 03:48
And six less rounds. I think it makes sense to "let those who ride decide" If you shoot it better it is a no brainer. I switched from a 23 to a 22 and like the bigger gun better. I have a huge hand the extra length in the grip really helps.

17-15 = 2.

There are two less rounds between the 17 and 19.

I personally prefer the Glock 19 out of the three sizes I've shot from full to compact.

SWATcop556
07-20-10, 03:50
Just a question: When you're on duty, do they let you carry the Glock 19 with Glock 17 magazines inserted? Or is that a no-no for official duty?

BTW I have only a Glock 19 at this point. Once I'm done with school, I may switch to either M&P's or HK's, but the Glock 19 will always be in the family, at the very least. Fantastic firearm.

I carry a G19 mag in the pistol and on my duty belt but most of my stashed mags are G17 mags. I also carry G17 mags on my carrier for tac as well.

I don't feel like I'm losing out having two fewer rounds per mag. I down load my mags by one round anyways. I also carry three mags on my duty belt as well. When I'm in plainclothes I carry two reloads.

SWATcop556
07-20-10, 03:51
17-15 = 2.

There are two less rounds between the 17 and 19.

I personally prefer the Glock 19 out of the three sizes I've shot from full to compact.

I think he was refering to my full load out on my duty belt. But I also carry an additional mag. Three reloads for me.:big_boss:

JonInWA
07-20-10, 07:52
I have both a Gen 3 G17 and G19. Between the two, I think that I'm slightly faster, and slightly more accurate with the G19. I consistantly shoot well with it in IDPA, but, just to confuse things, last year I had my best overall Glock time ever in GSSF with my G17.

Neither of these guns are hard to carry concealed or are inordinately heavy (come on, they're Glocks, not a Star Megastar...).

I have different sights on 'em-the G17 has a set of Glock steels, the G19 has Trijicons. I've got a sneaking suspicion that I might be shooting the G17 a bit faster with Trijicons, or with the Warren Tacticals that I've got on my G34-but then I look back at that "best ever" GSSF score and have chosen, at least for the time being to leave well enough alone.

I commend the original poster for subjecting himself and his Glocks to the rigourous analysis that he did. It makes perfect sense for him to divest himself of the G17 for the G19. As time goes on, I find myself culling out and thinning the collection, concentrating on limited numbers of platforms. It makes for improved performances and less vacillation and confusion.

Best, Jon

Mike169
08-19-10, 20:29
I began to find that I consistently shot my G19's better than the G17's.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but it's cool to hear I'm not the only one who can shoot the glock compacts better than the fullsize versions..

StrikeFace
08-19-10, 21:56
It's not quite decomposed yet.

I sold my 17 for a 19 & 34. Currently the 34 gets the most trigger time, but the 19 is the do it all.

This is my current Glock stable. The G19 does everything the G34 does, but I just find that the G34 really shines on shoot-more-faster days. I find the pointability and stock adjustable sight holdover perfect for long distances. I only use the G34 as a drop leg gun. The G19 is my everyday gun.

Heavy Metal
08-19-10, 22:20

Six less rounds?

I only use one G-19 mag, that in the gun itself and use G-17 mags for the reloads because at that point, whether it sticks out a bit is moot.

Omega Man
08-19-10, 23:28
Quite a few experienced shooters find the ergos and grip of the 19 superior to those of the 17. Very much a personal preference.

Yeah, the 19 fits better for me than the 17.

Omega Man
08-19-10, 23:34
Six less rounds?

I only use one G-19 mag, that in the gun itself and use G-17 mags for the reloads because at that point, whether it sticks out a bit is moot.

+1 on the G17 mag for reload.

willowofwisp
08-20-10, 08:28
I have heard stories about g17 mags being inserted into a g19 and breaking the ejector, not sure if this has ever actually happened though.

JohnN
08-20-10, 09:11
I have heard stories about g17 mags being inserted into a g19 and breaking the ejector, not sure if this has ever actually happened though.

I have heard that especially on a particular forum but I have shot a 19 with 17 mags for a long time and never had it happen. That's not to say it hasn't happened to others. I just haven't seen it personally.

willowofwisp
08-20-10, 09:22
I have heard that especially on a particular forum but I have shot a 19 with 17 mags for a long time and never had it happen. That's not to say it hasn't happened to others. I just haven't seen it personally.

yea i shoot my full size m&p mags in my compact m&p.hasn't happened yet

Heavy Metal
08-20-10, 09:25

You would have to by-pass the mag catch on the way up. Remember, that thing is bi-directional.

Thousands of times doing this, I have had zero problems.

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-20-10, 11:43
there is a lip on near the tip of all glock mags that keeps you from over inserting them, making it completely safe and practical to use full size mags in the compact and subcompact models.

GU

tpd223
08-20-10, 13:28
It's not possible for the larger Glock mags to be over inserted in the shorter guns, such as the G17 mag in a G26, unless perhaps if you use a sledge hammer.

I have physically pounded the mags into my G26 using a table top for an assist, just to prove a point, no issues.

What rocket20 said is completely correct. This is why I have used my G17 mags for reloads to my G19 and G26 for many years.

Surf
08-20-10, 14:19
I too use the 17 or 22 mags in my 26/19 or 27/23 and have no worries for the reasons mentioned.

I also do not get the whole ergo's argument on a similar generation Glock, not counting the 34/35 because of the different slide stop and mag release. My Gen 3's from 19/23 to 17/22 have the same ergo's, except for grip length. I have small hands but the longer grip actually fits my hand better and in the .40S&W versions, I have better control of the weapon. The diameter of the grip, reach to the mag release, slide stop etc is the same.

Now the size differences may be better for carry, concealment, or might be a personal preference for shooting, but I just don't get the ergo thing, unless if I am defining it wrong. Now the ergo's for the Gen4's are definitely different.

stifled
08-20-10, 14:30
I shoot my G19 better than my G17 consistently as well. My hand fits the G19 more comfortably which I'm sure is the reason why. Once my holster comes, I'll be carrying my G19 IWB and that'll free my G17 up to send to get a couple modifications done to the grip to make it hopefully fit better. I carry G17 magazines as spares, though!

Surf
08-20-10, 15:48
I must be missing something?

I thought I was crazy, but I am toying with my 23/22 and 19/17 and I have medium sized hands. The ergo's are the same. Same grip diameter. Same reach to the mag release, same reach to the slide stop. My hand is more comfortable on the longer grip on the 17/22. So in my hand the 17/22 feels and fits better but is a bit heavier. Now when I grip the Gen4 17 or 22, the ergo's are definitely different than the Gen3's. I use no add on backstrap and I can reach the mag release without rolling the weapon in my hand, larger magazine pad, shorter reach to the slide release. Definitely different ergo's from the Gen3's.

No doubt the smaller pistols are easier to carry / conceal and I shoot my 19 about as well as my 17, but I can't say that about my 23 and 22. I am not talking about 1 shot accuracy so much, but a string of rapid fire. I will also say that I shoot my Gen4's better than my Gen3's.

I know in an earlier post I mentioned not selling weapons, but I find myself buying all the Gen4's and the Gen3's are just sitting around. Might have to sell off the Gen3's. Heck they are only Glocks anyway.

OK, just kidding, I am not selling any of em. :D

Mike169
08-20-10, 20:09
I too use the 17 or 22 mags in my 26/19 or 27/23 and have no worries for the reasons mentioned.

I also do not get the whole ergo's argument on a similar generation Glock, not counting the 34/35 because of the different slide stop and mag release. My Gen 3's from 19/23 to 17/22 have the same ergo's, except for grip length. I have small hands but the longer grip actually fits my hand better and in the .40S&W versions, I have better control of the weapon. The diameter of the grip, reach to the mag release, slide stop etc is the same.

Now the size differences may be better for carry, concealment, or might be a personal preference for shooting, but I just don't get the ergo thing, unless if I am defining it wrong. Now the ergo's for the Gen4's are definitely different.

I've always assumed that it was a mental thing for me. Even though I KNOW the ergonomics are the same, I pick up a 19/23 and it fits my hand like a glove, if I pick up a fullsize, it just doesn't feel right <shrug>

varoadking
08-20-10, 20:32
It can be painful selling guns...I finished my chemo last week and I'm feeling pretty optomistic.

Selling guns should not be painful...they are simply objects.

You have experienced real pain...I hope you're doing well...