PDA

View Full Version : Old Chile 308 Mauser "Karbine"

jwfuhrman
07-19-10, 09:14
about 7 years ago I got a pretty good deal on a set of 3 Mausers in various caliber. 308, 6.5 Swedish, and 7mm($250 for all 3)

The 7mm is pretty much junk and the 6.5 Swedish is just a toy to play around with and plink. The 308 was the main reason for the purchase as I think it has potential.

The guns were cut down, recrowned. As of right now, with the Blade Irons, its fairly accurate at 200(farthest I have access too).

My question is, think its worth putting money into it to make it a decent 600yd gun? Maybe shoot some local F-Class or Long Range(600yd) matches.

If not, oh well, she is fun to shoot, and would be a good "stow away for a rainy day" rifle.

TOrrock
07-19-10, 09:46
I'd be very cautious about shooting that Chilean Mauser in 7.62x51mm.........the action wasn't designed for that kind of pressure.

If it's one of the M1895 Mausers that the Chileans got from Ludwig Lowe & Co., they were originally in 7x57mm Mauser, destined for the Boers in Orange Free State during the Second Boer War. They were rerouted to the Chileans, sometimes with OFS markings intact.

Beautiful weapons, but the steel and strength of the actions weren't designed for the 7.62x51mm.

Mauser had to redesign the action into the 98 to handle the 7.92x57mm.

The Chileans were looking to save some money and just took their existing stockpile of bolt actions and re-chambered them, much as the Turks did, with little regard for long term durability or the safety of the troops.

ralph
07-19-10, 10:13
Templar is quite right...Small ring Mausers (M96,95,) were not designed for .308 pressures, dispite the fact they are commonly found in this caliber, Although it probably won't go KB on you at first, what can happen is receiver lug set back..This is caused by excessive pressure, what happens here, is that the bolt lugs are literally slammed into the reciever lugs, indenting them, often .008-.010..creating a excessive headspace situation... At this point, the receiver is toast, and cannot be salvaged.If you reload,and provided the rifle isn't damaged from RLS, you could download your ammo and keep the pressures with the actions limits. If by chance this rifle is on a M98 (large ring) action,and headspace is within spec, by all means shoot away, the M98 action will easily handle .308 pressures.. Unlike the M98,Which can handle a wide range of calibers, the small ring actions have their limits, usually 7x57, 6.5 swede, something in that pressure range would be a good match up for a SR action.. Quick question..Why not use the 6.5? I've got a Swede M96, and the minium setting on the rear sight is 300m, on paper, this caliber looks like it would be quite capable of going longer distances..

Thomas M-4
07-19-10, 10:28
Cheapest quickest way to get in f-class would be to pick up a Savage F-class rifle. Just saying if that's your main goal.

jwfuhrman
07-19-10, 11:28
the reason I wanted to use the 308 is it was in the best shape. The 7mm was trashed, the bolt opens and closes but its in about 30% condition. The Swede is the same its 50-60%. Shoots, and doesnt shoot bad, just the 308 Mauser is in the better condition.

Oh well, its fun to just play with, Ive put maybe 300-400 rounds thru in the 7 years I have had it. Ill just keep it for a "get it out when Im bored with everything else" kinda rifle.

fn1889m
07-19-10, 18:17
Chile and Peru both used FN and CZ 1898 Mausers, and these were often rebarreled into .30-06 after WWII by the issuing army. On the other hand, .308 is a higher pressure cartridge, and you should check the headspace before shooting it. Later M98s can probably handle the pressures, but some of the early M98s (WWI issue, for example) are better left in the 8mm/7mm/30-06 range of that era.

(Second, the Swede is potentially the nicest of the three actions, and the 6.5 Swede is a very sweet cartridge. It may well be worth salvaging the action and getting a new barrel for that action and receiver, if you have all the metalwork. A new barrel and a hot blue may be enough....)

I have rebarreled a number of Mauser rifles. But these actions and military barrels make fine hunting rifles, not long-range precision rifles. Not if you want to achieve competitive long-range accuracy - if so, you are looking at a dedicated heavy-barreled rifle. My recommendations are: Remington, FN, CZ-USA, Howa, or Savage, all in .308. Some people like Tika and Sako. My personal favorites are Remington and FN, but look at all of them. Do some internet research. And check out used rifles at the local gun store. A lot of people buy heavy target rifles, then realize that they don't make the best hunting rifles, and sell them for less than they paid. I picked up a Remington .223 and a Sako .308 (Hart barrel), both for good prices.

Plan on spending $500-800 on the rifle, and $400-900 on the scope, rings and base, unless you find a bargain. You can spend more on either, but $1,000 to $1,500 is an ample budget for good gear.

I know it sounds funny, but you can use the scope long after you wear out the rifle barrel, if you invest in a good scope. If you are tight on funds, look at a fixed power scope (6x or 10x) for now. I like the Leupold M8 series - often available used.

Most people would recommend .308 over .300 Win Mag or .338 mag, as you will get a lot more barrel life out of a .308.

I know it is more than you asked. Sorry if it is too much. Good luck.