PDA

View Full Version : G&R Stippled M&P Backstrap

C4IGrant
07-19-10, 10:36
Like most M&P owners, we believe that the surface texture of the gun is too slick. We wanted to do something a bit different than the standard stippling and decided to go with a golf ball pattern.
Shot it this weekend and all I can say is WOW. What a huge improvement. I am not quite sure if I am holding onto the gun or if the gun is holding onto me. :blink:

Let me know what you think of the pattern/design (as we are thinking of ordering a bunch of backstraps from S&W and offering them stippled and ready for sale).

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP45.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP45a.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP45b.jpg

1911pro
07-19-10, 10:44
Nice. I would give one a try.

subzero
07-19-10, 10:57
I have done a few backstraps with a big hole pattern like that, thinking it would be like a pair of Gunner Grips. Not quite, but it's much better than stock.

For people who carry their M&P concealed, M4arc gave me the idea a while back to stipple a pattern on one side only so the side up against the skin isn't too abrasive. I basically traced a line around where my strong hand grips and did that area only.

Offering pre-made backstraps is a good idea, but I think a lot of people see that they're only 3 bucks each and figure they can afford to mess a couple up learning.

C4IGrant
07-19-10, 11:09
I have done a few backstraps with a big hole pattern like that, thinking it would be like a pair of Gunner Grips. Not quite, but it's much better than stock.

For people who carry their M&P concealed, M4arc gave me the idea a while back to stipple a pattern on one side only so the side up against the skin isn't too abrasive. I basically traced a line around where my strong hand grips and did that area only.

Offering pre-made backstraps is a good idea, but I think a lot of people see that they're only 3 bucks each and figure they can afford to mess a couple up learning.

We are thinking of letting folks pick a stippled backstrap when they buy their pistol (so it is already to go and they don't have to pay any extra shipping). We will also offer the back straps seperately for those that want to replace what they have.

C4

Rated21R
07-19-10, 11:18
Interesting. Always a plus being able to pick them up from you all.

C4IGrant
07-19-10, 11:21
Interesting. Always a plus being able to pick them up from you all.

My thought was that people lose a lot of money on shipping when they send off their personal guns to get trigger work and stippling done. We already offer trigger work with will eventually offer complete stippling work as well with little to NO WAITING.

C4

CaptainDooley
07-19-10, 11:25
I'd likely try one out in FDE.

Rated21R
07-19-10, 11:37
My thought was that people lose a lot of money on shipping when they send off their personal guns to get trigger work and stippling done. We already offer trigger work with will eventually offer complete stippling work as well with little to NO WAITING.

C4

I like this. I like this a lot.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-19-10, 11:38
I like it looks very good to me

C4IGrant
07-19-10, 12:08
I'd likely try one out in FDE.

We will be doing them in FDE as well.

C4

RD62
07-19-10, 12:19
Not an M&P owner but I think it looks very well executed. I think it looks much cleaner and "factory" than many of the other stippling jobs I've seen where it appears the part has been dragged behind a truck for a few miles. I'm sure these other textures are effective but don't do anything for me personally.

If I were to have one done I would probably get both the textured front area done as well as the back strap. Both for aesthetics and because for me personally a good texture to the front strap also aides in controllability.

-RD62

556mp
07-19-10, 12:57
Ive hated that pattern from the first time I saw it.

But, for some reason I really like the way that is done. Good job and Great idea. I give you an A+ for being able to buy a gun with trigger work and stippling already done. You'll sell lots of em!:D

Hope it works out as well as it should!

Urabus23
07-19-10, 13:08
Pattern looks good and another option for a new M&P is always a good thing.

LeonCarr
07-19-10, 15:00
Just please make them available for the .45.

Thanks,
LeonCarr

supersix4
07-19-10, 19:06

C4

I see a couple FDE and black ones in my future...

BB01
07-19-10, 21:53
I like the pattern and I'd be in for a couple. Will you be doing any large back straps?

rathos
07-19-10, 22:04
When stippling the grip like that does it make it grab cover garments? I have always stayed away from decal grips, hogue grips and the like because they grab my cover shirt. It looks like they would work well and if they don't grab the cover garment I would buy one for each of my M&Ps.

Surf
07-20-10, 00:26
I am definitely an aggressive grip type and the burning tool gets a lot of use for my weapons also. Easy to do varying degrees of aggressive to moderate textures to suit customers needs. As you mention it is a huge difference especially on the hotter caliber poly guns and a much better solution than the old skaters tape etc... It is nice to see that your business is progressive and offering such options!

I also do a lot of stipple jobs on the poly based guns and do quite a bit of the stock Sig Sauer grip panels as they also respond very well to a heat stipple job which IMO is a necessity on a .40 S&W version of a Sig. :)

C4IGrant
07-20-10, 10:22
I like the pattern and I'd be in for a couple. Will you be doing any large back straps?

Yes. Large, medium and small.

C4

C4IGrant
07-20-10, 10:23
When stippling the grip like that does it make it grab cover garments? I have always stayed away from decal grips, hogue grips and the like because they grab my cover shirt. It looks like they would work well and if they don't grab the cover garment I would buy one for each of my M&Ps.

It does not. The indents are in the plastic (not sticking out externally like grip tape does).

C4

M4arc
07-20-10, 12:18
They look fantastic Grant!

Nice job and offering them as an option when folks purchase an M&P will make these very popular. In fact after seeing this thread I might need to move the M&P45 (mid-size) up a couple places on my must buy list. :D

tire iron
07-20-10, 14:48
Hmmm....Octopus Pattern - I like it! (Reminds me of the tenticles on an Octopus.)

All glad to see a "one stop shopping" place to get a M&P with the Apex guts AND stippling.

cheers

tire iron

C4IGrant
07-20-10, 14:52
They look fantastic Grant!

Nice job and offering them as an option when folks purchase an M&P will make these very popular. In fact after seeing this thread I might need to move the M&P45 (mid-size) up a couple places on my must buy list. :D

Hey thanks!

I have been shooting my middy 45 a lot more. As a long time 9mm M&P shooter, the 45 M&P tends to be WAY more accurate. I can put holes in holes at 10yds. Not so with my 9mm M&P.

C4

M4arc
07-20-10, 14:58
Hey thanks!

I have been shooting my middy 45 a lot more. As a long time 9mm M&P shooter, the 45 M&P tends to be WAY more accurate. I can put holes in holes at 10yds. Not so with my 9mm M&P.

C4

I fondled one at Virginia Arms (GotM4) and was really impressed. I can see carrying one as my primary CCW eventually.

C4IGrant
07-21-10, 12:43
Here are some new pics of M&P mags, base plate and a smaller dimple pattern.

C4

Outlining dimples are the new smaller design.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP_LG_Backstrap_BLK.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP_LG_Backstra_BLK1.jpg

M&P 45 14rd Mag
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP_45_GB.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP_45_GB1.jpg

M&P Compact Base Plate
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP_CMPCT_buttplate.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP_CMPCT_buttplate1.jpg

C4IGrant
07-22-10, 09:30
Hmmm....Octopus Pattern - I like it! (Reminds me of the tenticles on an Octopus.)

All glad to see a "one stop shopping" place to get a M&P with the Apex guts AND stippling.

cheers

tire iron

Agree. Does have a "Octopus" look to it.

C4

tire iron
07-22-10, 11:18
Octopus tentacles are of varying size - and that fits perfectly with the way Grant has done that pattern. I like it!

Looks like those little suckers (octopus pun intended:dance3:) will really grab onto the hand!

cheers

tire iron

tr1kstanc3
07-22-10, 11:27

C4

Will they be offered individually as well or part of the configuration package?

C4IGrant
07-22-10, 11:37
Will they be offered individually as well or part of the configuration package?

We intend to offer both options of our "amateur" products. :lol:

C4

C4IGrant
07-22-10, 11:41
Octopus tentacles are of varying size - and that fits perfectly with the way Grant has done that pattern. I like it!

Looks like those little suckers (octopus pun intended:dance3:) will really grab onto the hand!

cheers

tire iron

Let me tell you! This pattern REALLY holds (sucks) onto your hand. To date, we have let about 10 people shoot our M&P with this backstrap on it. EVERY person has asked us to do it to their backstrap and want the fronts done as well.

C4

96 SS
07-22-10, 19:52
I'm not as up to date on my M&P lore as I should be:

Can you fit a tan 45 backstrap to a 9C?

C4IGrant
07-22-10, 20:36
I'm not as up to date on my M&P lore as I should be:

Can you fit a tan 45 backstrap to a 9C?

It will not fit.

C4

Hersh
07-22-10, 22:18
Let me know what you think of the pattern/design (as we are thinking of ordering a bunch of backstraps from S&W and offering them stippled and ready for sale).

Please keep us posted. I'd definitely buy one for my 9.

M4Fundi
07-23-10, 05:08
I like it

C4IGrant
07-23-10, 09:30
Please keep us posted. I'd definitely buy one for my 9.

Will do.

C4

maximus83
07-23-10, 11:04
I like the pattern, and would seriously consider ordering a G&R stippled M&P9 or 40 with an APEX kit. You can add me to the list. I plan to add one last M&P to my setup, and now's a good time because we have annual bonuses coming in. :-)

npmako
07-28-10, 20:30
Grant,
Kudos to your excellent skills with a soldering iron!

tr1kstanc3
08-03-10, 10:23
Any updates on offering the stippled grips?

Safetyhit
08-03-10, 10:42
Almost looks like you could throw the gun at a wall and it would stick to it. Nice work.

JimmyB62
08-03-10, 15:52
Very nice work. Looks pretty aggresive. Do the ones who prefer it generally wear gloves while shooting (handguns)? How is the pattern on bare hands?

Thanks.

LandCruiser
08-04-10, 03:19

I emailed G&R about a week ago to get one. They are still not offering them for sale yet. Not sure what the hold up is....but I'm sure we'll find out.

96 SS
08-04-10, 09:20
Combining ideas from different threads: Can you stipple and then dip these grip panels?

C4IGrant
08-04-10, 11:13

We just got a large shipment of the backstraps in and are stippling them as we speak. Should have something up after the weekend.

C4

C4IGrant
08-04-10, 11:14
Very nice work. Looks pretty aggresive. Do the ones who prefer it generally wear gloves while shooting (handguns)? How is the pattern on bare hands?

Thanks.

I shoot them without gloves on and don't have any issues. I also have computer hands so...

C4

C4IGrant
08-04-10, 11:14
Combining ideas from different threads: Can you stipple and then dip these grip panels?

Not a bad idea. Don't know what the interest would be though.

C4

orionz06
08-04-10, 13:41
I shoot them without gloves on and don't have any issues. I also have computer hands so...

C4

How does the larger holes compare to a finer hole?

supersix4
08-04-10, 16:43
Grant, any idea when these will be available? I have some stuff in my cart on your website and dont want to order just yet, if these are coming.

thanks

eternal24k
08-04-10, 20:43
Grant,
that looks great. I generally am not into some of the bigger patterns, but that looks like it would do great.

dc202
08-05-10, 01:03
I was about to order an M&P from you; guess I will wait until next week when hopefully these will be available.

96 SS
08-05-10, 09:08
Not a bad idea. Don't know what the interest would be though.

C4

Those of us with 9's could finally get some semblence of a colored frame with one of these. (instead of nice Police'esque Blue)

Trvlngnrs
08-05-10, 10:32

C4

I'd like to see the FDE for a 9c. I purchased a 9c from you a couple weeks ago and I'm currently using a bicycle innertube. It catches on my shirt though.

Do you think you'll have the black or FDE 9c grips available this weekend too?

macnamara
08-05-10, 10:45
Squid grips. I like it.

Seraph
08-05-10, 11:05
Having them pre-made/modified and ready to ship as a packaged retail item is the best part of the idea, IMO. I think it ought to do well. Make two or more different patterns available, and you'll sell twice as many, I'm sure, as people will want to try different levels of grippiness.

Magsz
08-05-10, 11:09
Having them pre-made/modified and ready to ship as a packaged retail item is the best part of the idea, IMO. I think it ought to do well. Make two or more different patterns available, and you'll sell twice as many, I'm sure, as people will want to try different levels of grippiness.

This is nothing new.

Accurate iron has been selling pre made stippled grips for quite some time now. Its part of why the M&P is so awesome. You can stipple a 5 dollar part with a new pattern to test it out without ruining an entire gun. :)

Seraph
08-05-10, 11:31
This is nothing new.

Accurate iron has been selling pre made stippled grips for quite some time now. Its part of why the M&P is so awesome. You can stipple a 5 dollar part with a new pattern to test it out without ruining an entire gun. :)

Alright, I didn't know about Accurate Iron. Thanks for the information. My intention wasn't meant to applaud the unprecedented novelty of the concept, so much as to comment on the merit of having it packaged up and ready to sell. I don't own any M&P's myself (yet), and I don't know that I'd be a customer for this type of thing, but I recognize the value in making available cool custom stuff that you can get in your mailbox.

Magsz
08-05-10, 11:50
Alright, I didn't know about Accurate Iron. Thanks for the information. My intention wasn't meant to applaud the unprecedented novelty of the concept, so much as to comment on the merit of having it packaged up and ready to sell. I don't own any M&P's myself (yet), and I don't know that I'd be a customer for this type of thing, but I recognize the value in making available cool custom stuff that you can get in your mailbox.

Roger that and agreed!

JSantoro
11-08-10, 19:33
Bumped, because these things are awesome and the people need to know!

Thanks to my own inattentiveness and my dog's penchant for gnawing on things for no better reason than being left on the coffee table, I asked for one each, LG for my M&Ps, a 9 and a 45.

I am torn.

On the one hand, they work great.

On the other hand, they make the stippling job I did on my frames look like ass.

If I truly gave a rat's patoot about appearance, I'd be like all :mad:

BrentC
11-08-10, 22:03
yeah i will add one of these in FDE if available with my next order.

dvdlpzus
11-08-10, 23:39
How much will they go for Grant?

C4IGrant
11-09-10, 08:01
Bumped, because these things are awesome and the people need to know!

Thanks to my own inattentiveness and my dog's penchant for gnawing on things for no better reason than being left on the coffee table, I asked for one each, LG for my M&Ps, a 9 and a 45.

I am torn.

On the one hand, they work great.

On the other hand, they make the stippling job I did on my frames look like ass.

If I truly gave a rat's patoot about appearance, I'd be like all :mad:

Glad you like them.

C4

C4IGrant
11-09-10, 08:02
How much will they go for Grant?

$19.95.

C4

supersix4
11-09-10, 14:43
do you have a link to them on your site? I have some items to order :D

chadbag
11-09-10, 15:23
I could be interested in some MD FDE ones.

C4IGrant
11-09-10, 15:55
do you have a link to them on your site? I have some items to order :D

Not yet.

C4

JSantoro
11-09-10, 17:30
Email in for what you'd like. I had to ask about them, too.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4407/backstraps.jpg

Very glad I did!

96 SS
11-09-10, 23:18
Lovely! Grant - how do I suggest that someone buy one for me for Christmas if they arn't "available" on the website?

Yes - I have asked for M&P stuff for Christmas. What a nerd!

C4IGrant
11-10-10, 07:09
Lovely! Grant - how do I suggest that someone buy one for me for Christmas if they arn't "available" on the website?

Yes - I have asked for M&P stuff for Christmas. What a nerd!

We will get them up on our website soon.

C4

tommyk42
11-11-10, 00:28
Grant, will these be available in other textures besides the ones in the pictures?

C4IGrant
11-11-10, 06:50
Grant, will these be available in other textures besides the ones in the pictures?

We might do other patterns, but feel this design is one of the best.

C4

C4IGrant
12-29-10, 16:46
These are now up on our website!

I have a fear that I am going to be over run so please be patient with delivery times.

You can order here: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MP_BS

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/MP45.jpg

01-07-11, 17:38
Thanks Grant!

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc421/021411/IMG_0089.jpg

Irish10
01-07-11, 18:10
Awesome ! Just ordered two for both mine.

C4IGrant
01-07-11, 20:59
For those of you that have received yours, how do you like them?

C4

01-08-11, 00:59

C4

I haven't had trigger time yet since I just got them today but although they feel somewhat grippy, I wish there was just a bit more bite to them. Then again I'm coming from the sharkskin texture from Burwell.

C4IGrant
01-08-11, 07:58
I haven't had trigger time yet since I just got them today but although they feel somewhat grippy, I wish there was just a bit more bite to them. Then again I'm coming from the sharkskin texture from Burwell.

Wait till you shoot them and peel the gun away. They will be like suction cups stuck to your hand. :D

C4

JSantoro
01-08-11, 20:37
Darn you straight to heck, Grant.

Okay, hopefully you've been able to recover a bit from that withering verbal barrage.

Now that I've been using these things, I'm forced to deal with the trigger-snatching I do, instead of being able to blame my misses on grip issues.

You're a menace to my self-delusion, and I hope you're proud of yourself, mister.

TommyG
01-08-11, 20:58

C4

The pattern looks great and looks like it will really increase grip. I'd be interested in sending in a couple of my Glocks as you get going on the stippling service.

96 SS
01-10-11, 15:29
I'm assuming that even though your website lists FDE in a compact you can't really order one right?

streakpi
07-09-11, 00:11
Resurrecting a year-old post...sorry. What is the material? Is this a regular grip modified? If so...$20 cost for EACH....help me out, the website does little to provide information.

C4IGrant
07-09-11, 09:40
Resurrecting a year-old post...sorry. What is the material? Is this a regular grip modified? If so...$20 cost for EACH....help me out, the website does little to provide information.

It is the factory backstrap that we modify.

C4

wl518
07-10-11, 13:29

C4

I'd rather pay the 20 bucks than sit there, try hard, screw up, and inhale polymer fumes. Well worth the money imo. Noticeable difference compared to my factory strap on my M&P 45.

VooDoo6Actual
07-10-11, 21:00
Looks great & like it would work well.

streakpi
02-27-12, 19:48
Are these ever going to become available on your website? They have been out of stock - both black and tan - in all three sizes for a while.

C4IGrant
02-28-12, 08:33
Are these ever going to become available on your website? They have been out of stock - both black and tan - in all three sizes for a while.

We are just so swamped with work that we cannot produce them at this time.

C4