PDA

View Full Version : help a newbie pls

paulb
07-19-10, 18:42
hey guys it a pleasure to be a member. i have learned a great deal from the very knowledgeable members. thanks.
i do have a question..... 3 weeks ago i bought a Stag model 2T. i live in NY long island so i had to get the NY legal one(no collapsible stock......). i was at the calverton range and someone asked me what rifle it was.... so i said "2T" ....he picked it up and checked and he said "nah its stamped model 15." sure enough it was stamped "model 15" on the upper.
which brings me to my first question: anyone has any idea? i know i was specific as to model 2T that i wanted. why is it stamped model 15?
my second question is about the receiver extension. the rifle came with rifle styled feed-ramps on the extension and no feed-ramps cut into the receiver. please see attachment for pic. i have been getting hangups with ammo frequently and i think its the defect labeled "B"
i have to use a pick(dental) to remove copper from that spot and the lip of spent casings show where its like dug out from rubbing against that spot "B". should i call Stag and have them replace the part(cost vs convenience?). any help would be appreciated. you can e-mail me directly if u like. thank you all in advance.

ryan
07-19-10, 20:25
Sell the Stag upper and BCG to someone who doesnt know better, use the money to buy a BCM upper and BCG and rebuild the lower with a G&R Tactical LPK and all your problems will be solved.

organdonor
07-19-10, 21:33
Sell the Stag upper and BCG to someone who doesnt know better, use the money to buy a BCM upper and BCG and rebuild the lower with a G&R Tactical LPK and all your problems will be solved.That's not nice; the upper seems to be malfunctioning.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge all Stag lowers are marked "Stag-15". 2t just denotes the package. Though from what little searching I did it seems the 2t comes with a collapsible stock :confused:

Hmac
07-19-10, 22:08
Stag makes a good rifle...I'm surprised you're having trouble. I've put many, many rounds of exceptionally crappy ammo through my 2T and generally just abused it horribly and it works great. I've never had a single FTF in over 2500 rounds, much of which wasn't just crappy surplus ammo, but crappy surplus ammo that had been returned to the dealer.

paulb
07-20-10, 03:10
did u guys see the pic(attachment)? i searched for pics of extensions and non looks like that. i think it might have been a defective part that slipped through QC.

MassMark
07-20-10, 03:22
Stags are generally pretty reliable. Before you call Stag customer service, perhaps you could fill us in on things like ammo that you're using and mags?

Iraqgunz
07-20-10, 03:22
Have you looked at the stickies that talk about barrels and barrel extensions? It will let you know what the deal is.

did u guys see the pic(attachment)? i searched for pics of extensions and non looks like that. i think it might have been a defective part that slipped through QC.

Iraqgunz
07-20-10, 03:34
Read this. I think you should be concerned and I would ask that they fix and or refund your money.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

ChicagoTex
07-20-10, 05:26
A relatively minor point of nomenclature that may help you down the line in solving this problem.

What you refer to as a "receiver extension" is actually the barrel extension. The receiver extension on an AR-15 is the tube at the rear that the stock is attached to.

Also, all Stag lower receivers are indeed marked model 15, since they use the exact same part for all the guns they offer. It'd be a lot more expensive and inefficient to mark them differently for each model.

MTechnik
07-20-10, 06:41
What ammo are you using? Have you tried more magazines? These two are the causes of 90% of all AR issues.

Sure, M4 feedramps would be nice - your stag should feed JUST FINE without them.

ChicagoTex
07-20-10, 06:50
Sure, M4 feedramps would be nice - your stag should feed JUST FINE without them.

MAJOR EDIT: looked at it more closely, the ramp/receiver combo actually is correct, there's just a huge miscut on the right edge of the right ramp. The issue isn't that he needs M4 feedramps, the issue is he needs his rifle ramps cut properly.

Eric
07-20-10, 08:17
Stag Arms contact info. (http://www.stagarms.com/information.php?info_id=5) I would request a call tag, so that they can pick up the shipping.

paulb
07-20-10, 14:20
ha ha i see..... my fault thanks. :help:

A relatively minor point of nomenclature that may help you down the line in solving this problem.

What you refer to as a "receiver extension" is actually the barrel extension. The receiver extension on an AR-15 is the tube at the rear that the stock is attached to.

Also, all Stag lower receivers are indeed marked model 15, since they use the exact same part for all the guns they offer. It'd be a lot more expensive and inefficient to mark them differently for each model.

paulb
07-20-10, 14:25
thats what i thought. but now what to do? the rifle feeds sometimes and then sometimes the cartridge gets caught on that "indent?" and then the bolt gets stuck. i have to use a flat head screwdriver to move the bolt back. i am kinda cautious now about using the gun which sucks since i just got it an its pretty nice.

MAJOR EDIT: looked at it more closely, the ramp/receiver combo actually is correct, there's just a huge miscut on the right edge of the right ramp. The issue isn't that he needs M4 feedramps, the issue is he needs his rifle ramps cut properly.

organdonor
07-20-10, 15:29
thats what i thought. but now what to do? the rifle feeds sometimes and then sometimes the cartridge gets caught on that "indent?" and then the bolt gets stuck. i have to use a flat head screwdriver to move the bolt back. i am kinda cautious now about using the gun which sucks since i just got it an its pretty nice.Does the bolt jam by itself or does it only happen in conjunction with a jammed round?

If you wanna know for sure if it's the feedlip; take note of how the rounds in a magazine are staggered and determine if it's only jamming when feeding a round through that lip.

Though if it was my rifle I'd contact Stag.

ryan
07-20-10, 15:38
That's not nice; the upper seems to be malfunctioning.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge all Stag lowers are marked "Stag-15". 2t just denotes the package. Though from what little searching I did it seems the 2t comes with a collapsible stock :confused:

I wasnt exactly going out of my way to be nice or malicious for that matter, if you call giving sound advice mean well :cray:

organdonor
07-20-10, 15:47
I wasnt exactly going out of my way to be nice or malicious for that matter, if you call giving sound advice mean well :cray:You've misunderstood. I meant that pawning a problematic part off onto "someone who doesn't know better" would be mean.

Anyway, Paul, if the bolt carrier is jamming it could be that your hammer is bottoming out causing the BCG to stick and a FTF(failure to feed). I've heard of this happening several times.

ryan
07-20-10, 15:51
You've misunderstood. I meant that pawning a problematic part off onto "someone who doesn't know better" would be mean.

Anyway, Paul, if the bolt carrier is jamming it could be that your hammer is bottoming out causing the BCG to stick and a FTF(failure to feed). I've heard of this happening several times.

Yes, you are right. There are plenty of curators who would never know the difference, let Stag fix it, then pawn it off to someone who still doesnt know better then after he hands you the cash show him to this site, now that would be mean.